Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Don't maternal antibodies show on a titer though? At 8 weeks, I'd think you would still expect to see protection from the mother. Which yes, means a vaccine will be ineffective - but then you still need to vaccinate once those antibodies wear off.

I will be pretty lenient with my healthy adult dogs; Meg's titer came back on the low side (pretty much as low as it could be and still be considered protected) one year, and I didn't revaccinate at that point. I'll always be much more careful with my puppies. They have so many less reserves to draw on if they do get sick.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM
such sights to show you

Yea I don't mess around with puppies.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno was vaccinated at 7, 10, 13, and 16 weeks. Which to me was a little bit much, we should have done every 4 weeks so then it would have been 7, 11, 15 weeks.

I stupidly did the lyme vaccine too.

Then she got her boosters a year later.

I'm not sure what I would do with future puppies. I was not careful with Juno though, at all. She went to parks and pet stores and the vet office and I did not carry her or make any attempt to "shield" her.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines. I live in a VERY Parvo heavy area. As in, starting in around March, we see several positive test results each week. By summer we'll be seeing at least one positive test each day, if not more. (since Saturday, we've already had three positive tests, and one deceased sibling dog...11 months old, by the way, of a dog we had come up positive last week). I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.

While I am comfortable vaccinating them myself, I do not, simply because I'd want to order the vaccine myself. Since it's easier for me to just take them in to work, I don't do so. There are numerous places in town that sell vaccines, but we've had too many cases of dogs and pups having positive tests after being vaccinated with these vaccines for me to feel comfortable that they're being shipped and stored properly at the correct temperatures.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I was not careful with Juno though, at all. She went to parks and pet stores and the vet office and I did not carry her or make any attempt to "shield" her.
Me, either. My area of the Cities has an extremely low rate of parvo, so while I didn't go out of my way to go to high density areas like dog parks or anything like that, I did take him to work every day and walked him all over the neighborhood. (ETA: Although not low enough to not do the puppy series.)

Last edited by sassafras; 05-09-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines... I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.

While I am comfortable vaccinating them myself, I do not, simply because I'd want to order the vaccine myself. ... There are numerous places in town that sell vaccines, but we've had too many cases of dogs and pups having positive tests after being vaccinated with these vaccines for me to feel comfortable that they're being shipped and stored properly at the correct temperatures.
^Allll of that! Parvo is such a nasty disease and so prevalent here, I don't mess around with it. Aeri was vax'd at 12ish weeks and at 16ish weeks, rabies at about 5 months, booster for both at 1 year, then all vaccines are only given every three years.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Me, either. My area of the Cities has an extremely low rate of parvo, so while I didn't go out of my way to go to high density areas like dog parks or anything like that, I did take him to work every day and walked him all over the neighborhood.
Yep, I wasn't all "EXPOSE HER TO ALL THE THINGS" but I just... kind of did normal dog things with her and didn't worry about it much. But yeah, parvo isn't exactly running rampant around here.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I, too, do not mess around with puppy vaccines. I live in a VERY Parvo heavy area. As in, starting in around March, we see several positive test results each week. By summer we'll be seeing at least one positive test each day, if not more. (since Saturday, we've already had three positive tests, and one deceased sibling dog...11 months old, by the way, of a dog we had come up positive last week). I do three or four vaccines, depending on what age I get the puppy. After the first year, I don't booster more often than every three years.
To take this a little off topic, I've been mulling over vaccinations for when I move to Phoenix. My three are 7-8 years old...I don't remember when I last vaccinated each dog, but I don't live in a parvo heavy area. I should probably vaccinate for d/p, yeah? Where they potentially haven't been exposed to "Arizona" parvo...

Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

I do rabies around 1 year. That's it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
To take this a little off topic, I've been mulling over vaccinations for when I move to Phoenix. My three are 7-8 years old...I don't remember when I last vaccinated each dog, but I don't live in a parvo heavy area. I should probably vaccinate for d/p, yeah? Where they potentially haven't been exposed to "Arizona" parvo...
The parvo is AZ is nasty nasty nasty and deeply embedded everywhere. It's such a hot dry climate it survives in the soil pretty much all over. The rescue I worked with in Tucson had puppies pick up parvo on a simple walk to the 7-11 on the corner, etc. It was heartbreaking, and really really not something to mess with.