Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Let it be

I would work on those commands so you know they are 99.9% reliable. Its so important that a dog around kids that has a shakey temperment have really good training. Its the best you can do for him.

Also, if kids make him anxious anxiety medication? I am trying to think of anything you could do to make yourself, your baby and Bamm comfortable living together.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I would work on those commands so you know they are 99.9% reliable. Its so important that a dog around kids that has a shakey temperment have really good training. Its the best you can do for him.

Also, if kids make him anxious anxiety medication? I am trying to think of anything you could do to make yourself, your baby and Bamm comfortable living together.
You are awesome. Thank you Paige. Anxiety medication is something I've been wanting to put him on for a long while now... just haven't made the appointment to actually do so since taking him to the vet is horrifying lol. That's definitely on my to do list for him because as much as I don't like medicating my dogs, I do think he could benefit.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
You are awesome. Thank you Paige. Anxiety medication is something I've been wanting to put him on for a long while now... just haven't made the appointment to actually do so since taking him to the vet is horrifying lol. That's definitely on my to do list for him because as much as I don't like medicating my dogs, I do think he could benefit.
I would def give it a try. I understand people's hesitations but I have seen some dogs make such tremendous improvements on meds. It really seems to make behavior modification more effective for many dogs.

And if it doesn't work or you don't like it, you just wean him off.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

In addition to management tips shared I would put some faith in family. My moms vet told her she'd probably have to put her dog down when the baby came, he hated kids, but he really never once shown aggression. Being in the dog-service industry I hear this scenario all of the time, I can only assume they really do read family differently (like cats read differently inside and out of a house).

Me? I'd wait and see if I could manage, we're unsure about B, I would cross that road when I came to it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry that you're having to think about this. Bamm has been one of my favorite chaz dogs for a long while now - I just love his expression and he seems like he really is a good dog at heart. I don't really have any advice, but I did have a question about the below quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
My boss is a behaviorist so I'm going to talk to her about it when I see her tomorrow. Not sure if I'll have her work with him or not though. She isn't a huge fan of Bamm at all especially since her first impression of him was him having a complete meltdown. She thinks he has a screw loose.
Maybe Bamm is more extreme in his behavior than I'm picturing, but from your threads, I picture a dog with some serious (and occasionally random seeming from a human's view) anxiety issues in certain situations who responds by reacting aggressively and trying to essentially "put on a tough face." Aren't behaviorists of all people supposed to be the ones that help (and presumably don't actively dislike) dogs like these? I'd be questioning one of two things: either the behaviorist really isn't all that able and willing to help the outward behavior of dogs with serious issues (which seems to me to be the cookie cutter job description of a good behaviorist) OR the behaviorist really is a good behaviorist and Bamm might actually have some neurological issues leading to the behavioral ones that the behaviorist is picking up on. I suppose she could also just not feel qualified to help him given her experience level, which would be totally understandable, but from the way the quote was phrased, I get the impression that she actively dislikes him and things there's something wrong with him.

I wish you the very best. I know how much he means to you and I can't imagine EVER having to make such a decision with Boo.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
such sights to show you

I wouldn't work with a behaviorist who had a preexisting dislike/bias against my dog like that. I want as much objectivity as I can get, since it's so hard to be objective myself about my own pets.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
F150 and a .30-06

First off you are not one of those people who throw the dog away because of a kid. IF you decide he is not able to be a member of your house it will be because you made a hard decision after much thought and consideration to keep your child safe not simply because you don't want him.

Major hugs. I don't have a answer but just to offer my support in ANY decision you make.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I wouldn't work with a behaviorist who had a preexisting dislike/bias against my dog like that. I want as much objectivity as I can get, since it's so hard to be objective myself about my own pets.
This, so much.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Without reading everything, or everyone's replies...

I was in a similar situation with Chloe. Luckily, my mom is able to take care of her long term. If that wasn't an option, I would have tried to manage, by muzzling/confining/meds/behavior modification. If that didn't work, or I didn't feel the child was safe...I would euthanize. I don't think it would be failing her if that is what it boiled down to. It would kill me, but I would do it.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM
such sights to show you

I have seen a lot of people be worried about how their dog will be when they have kids, and seen them take varying degrees of precautions from nothing at all/crossing their fingers to talking to trainers/behaviorists to doing a lot of reading to rehoming dogs.

One thing I would like to say is that I've seen a lot of dogs that people have worried about or are reactive to kids in general do really well with a new baby coming home simply because when a newborn comes home, it is essentially immobile and extremely nonthreatening. From a dog's perspective, other than occasionally being noisy, it doesn't really do much other than lie around. They don't yet crawl or run around or do crazy toddler things. And so a lot of dogs have a lot of time to adapt to "their" baby while the baby is still not at all scary.

If you reach "push comes to shove" territory, then I don't think anyone is going to fault you for thoughtfully rehoming if you think the situation isn't safe for your child. Not all dogs are safe with kids, even when we love them and they are awesome dogs otherwise. But while I would definitely be arming myself with information and speaking to a behaviorist now, try not to borrow worry, kwim?