Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Big Dog

I think that its almost impossible to socialize a puppy to every single thing they're going to encounter as an adult dog, BUT if you have a lifestyle involving hunting, or being in crowds of people then you should for sure focus on that.

I think that if a dog is going to be a hunting dog, then socializing to guns and water fowl is an excellent idea. Same if a dog is going to be a herder, you'd want to socialize around live stock.

Other then that, I think just getting the puppy to experience new things as a young one gets them used to seeing things that are unfamiliar so that as an adult, they're like, "Oh, ok that's weird. Huh." and move on. If that makes sense...

When I got my first Cardi, the most important thing I did was get her to a class that taught her how to bounce back from her fear. We played the "what is it?" game and we still use it to this day though she's a three year old.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
& the Muttly Crew

For me it's mostly just bring the puppy everywhere with me. Walks all over, dog club, farmer's market, fleet farm, friends' houses, have houseguests over, etc. and pay attention.

That said, the one thing I really go out of my way to find is kids. I don't have any and it would be only too easy to raise a puppy who's never met a kid up close.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Active Pup

The one thing I wish I had done differently was to teach Payne not to be gun shy. To my knowledge she has never had a bad experience with a gun. I'm sure it's just the noise but she hits the dusty every time she sees the gun, and does the same during 4th of July!

(New members welcome and always appreciated!!)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira's introduction to guns was pretty entertaining. She was about 7 months old and we were at a field seminar. The folks running it said I was welcome to have the puppy out while they ran a few opening marks. So she was out with me in the gallery which was only maybe 20 feet from the line. I didn't realize they were going to be shooting right at the line or I'd have been farther away. Anyway, they shoot and it's right next to us and the first gun shot Mira had ever heard to my knowledge BANG! then the duck fell and the working handler released his dog and Mira just watched it all and instantly associated GunShot = Retrieving DUCKS and has pretty much been hopelessly in love ever since.

Thank heavens for a sound temperament and strong retrieve instinct though. In a more sensitive dog with less drive to call on, that could have had lasting negative effects.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

When Teagan was a pup. I got my brother to take out his gun and shoot of a few. I was loaded with tons of treats and Teagan took it like a pro, now whenever Teagan sees the gun she only thinks of going on an adventure, killing squirrels or grouse hunting. She is an awesome grouse hunter.

Whenever we are out camping and Teagan sees the gun Tyler gets yelled at a lot by her, because she wants to go squirrel hunting NOW!!!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Taxiderpy

Both of these.

Seriously though, the corn popper toys are super easy to come by. Aside from Strider, I have never ever met a dog that wasn't freaked out by one. His OB trainer used to push one around class and every dog would panic and dance away from it when it came within 15 feet.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm All Ears

One of the worst experiences we had with Mia was when she was a year/year and a half and we were walking on game day. I didn't think about it but they had a super loud fighter jet formation go over campus. We were already right near the stadium and in a huge crowd of thousands of people. The jets flew over and both my dogs hit the end if their leash. It was SO loud it was unreal. Mia was darting around on the end of her leash and all I knew to do was start going 'yay!!!! Good dogs!!!' I looked like a lunatic I am sure. Running around and getting my dogs all excited. But it worked. They both recovered in a couple seconds. 'Well that was weird but Mom's having fun so yayyyyyy!!!!'

But yeah....bad planning. I'm not sure how to socialize to fighter jets though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

I haven't stressed too much with Quinn he just pretty much goes everywhere with me. So overall he's been socialized to a lot I have been a little stricter about socializing with men though because my husband is works on the road so he only sees him maybe 4-5 days a month.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Both of these.

Seriously though, the corn popper toys are super easy to come by. Aside from Strider, I have never ever met a dog that wasn't freaked out by one. His OB trainer used to push one around class and every dog would panic and dance away from it when it came within 15 feet.
I have one of these and they are wonderful for training dogs and horses. I watch at yard sales for any children's toy that parents are desperate to get rid of, the ones that will give you a headache within 3 min are the best
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I have one of these and they are wonderful for training dogs and horses. I watch at yard sales for any children's toy that parents are desperate to get rid of, the ones that will give you a headache within 3 min are the best
Oohhh what a great idea. If I hit up any garage sales I will make sure to look for some annoying toys.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff