Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Stil need help!!!!

IBS IS a possibility. This dog happens to be a very serious rescue case. We've had him since he was 10 months old and he is 3 1/2 now. He was rescued from a puppy milll at 10 months when the humane society emptied the place. He was obviously a breeding mistake since he is not a purebreed. He came home with physical scars, injuries, infections, etc which have all healed but he is terrified of people until he really gets to know them. Then he is a total love. He is scared of loud noises, new places, etc except he loves the outdoors and other dogs. He is not aggressive--he pees when he is afraid (its fear-not submission). He has been on Prozac since he was 11 months old and we work with him ALL the time behaviorally. We were able to lower the Prozac dosage about a year ago but we DID just move. He seems happier here (lots of walks--no more just being let into the yard) but the water is different too. My sister has a Cairn with IBS. He eats vet prescribed Royal Canine Venison food that costs a fortune. My guy is 70 pounds and I could never afford THAT. His poop this morning on TOTW Salmon was total yuck so things are not getting better. Suggestions? I really need advice
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Twin 2.0

It sounds like he might have anxiety-induced IBS. I would put him back on the Prozac until he gets used to the new place and add in some Bach's Rescue Remedy.

Are you able to find EarthWise foods at all? It's usually cheaper than Canidae and TOTW (my dog never did well on TOTW and he doesn't have a sensitive stomach). Maybe give that a shot and see what happens, along with adding in some plain yogurt for probiotics and a couple spoonfulls of pumpkin to help the transition.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Puppy Dog

I can increase his prozac dosage again though it does not seem anxiety related (he is always anxious and actually less anxious in our new palce as it is smaller adn he gets mroe walks). I can get Earthwise delivered and may have even seen it at a store. This TOTW salmon experiment is a failure.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Default whoops

whoops, I don't see Earthwise on petfooddiret website. So many of hte names are similar.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Try this as an immediate solution.
First of all, no food for 24 hours. He can have as much water as he wants but no food, no treats.

When you start feeding him again, feed him something very mild. Whenever I have an upset belly around here, I get out my crockpot, put some uncooked rice in it, lay chicken breasts on top, cover with water, and leave it on low until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. Store this chicken and rice mixture in your fridge and you will feed it to him for several days. Start off with just a little bit. You are giving his stomach and digestive system a break so don't load up his bowl with food - think about after you've had a terrible stomach bug. You don't want to go right back to eating like you did before, you start with something bland and just a little bit. Same principle here. So just a little bit his first meal. If he does okay with that, feed him a little bit more next meal, then a bit more the next time you feed him.
I make enough that I can feed bland for about three to four days - it should give plenty of time for his system to clear out anything that might still be bothering him from his other diet.

If he is still having diarrhea after having been fasted and then being on chicken & rice for a few days, you are looking at two options:
1) Something else is going on unrelated to diet OR
2) He can't tolerate chicken and/or rice. Both are ingredients in the Canidae ALS, chicken being the first ingredient by weight, so if you completely rule out any other problems and narrow it down to diet, you won't want to put him back on the Canidae.

I would do this first. If he's still sick on this bland diet and you've ruled out anything else, like clostridium, there are a few more diet troubleshooting ideas that come to mind (like feeding canned tuna as his bland diet.) But we can cross that bridge if we come to it...

If he does fine on the chicken and rice, personally I think I would keep him on the TOTW salmon since it does sound like his stools were getting better once you switched him off the Canidae. When you go back to kibble, use the same idea as before... just give him a little bit of kibble to start. Add a little bit more each time you feed him until he is back to what he was being fed before.
Also, make sure you're not overfeeding him. Some dogs need surprisingly little food, and some get diarrhea for no other reason than they are just eating too much.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Default thanks keep it coming

I really appreciate all the advice. I am one of those people who will do anything for my dog but my finances are pathetically low right now (disabled, widowed, single mom---WE wil be on food stamps soon). The idea of cooking for my dog is a bit funny because I barely cook for myself. I used to be a career woman with a husband who cooked and now my hands are disabled so when I do cook its a special occasion. Rice and chicken in a crock pot or just boiled is certainly doable, and I do have a 16 year old daughter to help.

My sister's dog eats a very expensive Royal Canine kibble from the vet which is venison and sweet potato. I know how people feel about Royal Canine but it works for her dog. I can't afford that food (my dog is 70 pounds--about 5 pounds more than he should weigh so cutting down portions is also part of the plan). What do people think of a commerical brand of venison nd sweet potato like Nutro? I am just trying to brainstorm short term solutions to settle his stomach and then longer term practical solutions I can afford.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Active Pup

If you have a Costco near you, Nature's Domain makes a Salmon and Sweet Potato that I've fed with great sucess. It is I want to say 33.99/30 something pound bag of food. 3% fibre. Last I checked TOTW was about $45/bag so savings of roughly $10/bag of food, average dog eats 1 bag per month so even if you didn't have a costco membership, it would pay for itself in 5 months ($50/year for the membership, 5 months of saving $10 on dog food). That might be an option for a fish based grain free food at a reasonable price for you.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
If you have a Costco near you, Nature's Domain makes a Salmon and Sweet Potato that I've fed with great sucess. It is I want to say 33.99/30 something pound bag of food. 3% fibre. Last I checked TOTW was about $45/bag so savings of roughly $10/bag of food, average dog eats 1 bag per month so even if you didn't have a costco membership, it would pay for itself in 5 months ($50/year for the membership, 5 months of saving $10 on dog food). That might be an option for a fish based grain free food at a reasonable price for you.
Yes, this! If you have a Costco, Nature's Domain IS Taste of the Wild in a different bag, so you can feed the exact same formula for less. I always forget that because the nearest Costco is 3 hours away.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Default wow costco

That is good to know about Costco as I have been a member in the past at least. The TOTW Salmon didn't work out so I am trying a Venison an Sweet Potato food (Nutro) now. But, we will see. Its good to know there are less expensive ways to get quality dog food and if this Venison works I will see if TOTW has a version of it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

I may have missed it, but how long has he been on TOTW? It's not going to fix itself overnight, it takes time. Changing foods every few days is not going to help anything.