Trouble With Quiddich

StillandSilent

For those who do not remember, Quiddich is my 1yr old Sharpei/beagle mix. I'm his foster mother. He's an interesting dog, and he is definitely Sharpei to his core. It makes him a difficult placement, because most people who call about him are interested in a lab wearing a sharpeir suit, and that is not him at all.

Last week, he was diagnosed with entropion, and surgery scheduled. Now he has bladder stones. The shelter manager is concerned about two expensive surgeries on a dog with limited adoption prospects. I am willing to continue to foster and work with him, as well as provide post surgery care, but I am not willing to be a permenant home to him.

My head knows that she's right. While I love him very much, he needs to go to a home that understands the breed, and guardy type breeds in general, or he will be someone's bite risk. It's not fair to take huge amounts ofmoney away from dogs with better prospects for one dog.

Still, it's really hard to look at him, knowing that his future is boiling down to money, and whether there is enough.

I don't want this to sound like I'm judging the shelter manager, because I am not. She's a close friend, and I know that she's making choices based on what's best for the entire shelter, not just my own dog.

It's a bad time of year for donations, and, unfortunatly, the shelter is located in a rural area where there are tons of people who do not have enough for themselves, much less to help out an animal.

I don't know what the point of this post is, other then I'm sad about it. I know that it's the name of the game in rescue and fostering, but it doesn't make it any easier. I know people here will understand, where people IRL don't always. They either don't feel like I should love my fosters so much, or they get stuck in the 'gotta save them all' mentality when it just isn't reasonable

Maybe it's just been too long since I lost one.

Quiddich, aka the Quiddiot.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
:( Rescue work IS hard. We just went through something similar with that Griffon we had just a while ago. You never know, somebody may step up to the plate and pay for it/adopt him. I hope they do. If not, sometimes it is for the best, even if the choices are difficult. :(

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I am not sure if it will help...but maybe if you contacted a Shar Pei rescue?

I do not know where you are located... but here in the Midwest we have Shar Pei Savers and I also know that Vancouver Shar Pei Rescue is active in Canada and parts of the US (one of my shar pei friends in Washington just adopted from them).

Also if you post him on the Shar Pei forums someone there may be able to help as well.

He is such a beauty I would hate for him not to get a chance at a home because he is all pei :)

StillandSilent

He's on the waiting list for one rescue, but none of the others will take him because he's not pure. Apparently there are a lot of pei's in rescue right now, and not a lot of adopters. :(

He's scheduled for an X-ray, and everyone at the shelter is trying to figure out a way to come up with the cash. So I'm not counting him out yet.

Members online

No members online now.