Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I truly haven't any people who starve dogs out of affection, so maybe that sways my judgement but it tells me that for the most part it's easier (ime) to help those with obese dogs because the owners truly do love them they're just severely uneducated on what constitutes health.
That kind of boils it down for me, too. If an owner is simply uneducated but willing to change, I'm not going to reach for my torch and pitchfork. And people are far more likely to fall into that category with obese pets than starved pets.

Although I've heard the local humane investigator say he's seen it happen where people just didn't understand how much food a dog/ cat/ horse needs and didn't understand why they weren't gaining weight; and in those cases the people do receive education and a follow up visit instead of immediately taking the animal.

IME in a LOT of these obese animals (or some other breakdown in care) with elderly owners are related to memory problems, if not outright dementia. It's very sad to see people want to do the right thing but not remember that they already fed the dog that day or whether or not they gave medication. You can try to help with chore charts, pill boxes, check off sheets, stuff like that but at the end of the day people still have to use them.