Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 PM
~WelshStump~'s Avatar
~WelshStump~ ~WelshStump~ is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 835
Default Anyone else still following "Obie" the Dachshund?

Today he went home after having skin reduction surgery. I just can not get over the amazing transformation though, he's lost 40lbs ! After having to deal with a similar but not nearly as dramatic situation in my own life, I'm so happy to see him doing so well. Anyone else still following his story?

https://www.facebook.com/BiggestLose...ocation=stream
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

HOLY CRAP! He's almost normal sized! I may not agree with 100% of what they do, but you can't deny that what they're doing is working.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

I'd like to know who owns/owned that dog and why the owner or former owner isn't being hauled in for animal cruelty in the same way that someone would be if the dog had been emaciated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
I'd like to know who owns/owned that dog and why the owner or former owner isn't being hauled in for animal cruelty in the same way that someone would be if the dog had been emaciated.
I'm pretty sure the former owner is dead, I think it was an elderly person that passed away (have you noticed old people tend to have FAT dogs?)


ETA: Okay, maybe I was wrong, and they're not dead. Or maybe they are by now. But I agree with you that it's just as bad as starving a dog.

Quote:
Our story began when a relative of this boys family stepped in and asked for help. Aging owners with failing health were simply loving him with food. They just couldn't say "no" to those big brown eyes. Through many tears, the owners relinquished him. It is very frustrating and sad but I am thrilled to be able to help him move on with his new life.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,632
Default

If they relinquished him, the shelter/AC probably can't press charges. Often shelters/AC will offer to take the dog with no charges if the owners surrender the animal on their own.
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Amazing! Does anyone have the number stats?

I may be a softy but I wouldn't press charges on an old person who is "killing with kindness".
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
~WelshStump~'s Avatar
~WelshStump~ ~WelshStump~ is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I may be a softy but I wouldn't press charges on an old person who is "killing with kindness".
Same here, coming from the exact same situation, the problem is that charge them or not, they don't and more than likely can't understand the nature of the situation. For anyone else who has even been placed in the situation of trying to "take the keys away" from an elderly relative too, may know similarly (and in not being able to take the keys, we hired a neighbor to "disable" the van, only to then have another neighbor who didn't know fix it *head-desk*).

And LOOK! They put up a video this morning, he even wags his tail.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Amazing! Does anyone have the number stats?

I may be a softy but I wouldn't press charges on an old person who is "killing with kindness".
Did this owner have demonstrable cognitive impairment or dementia? I don't see how simply being "old" exempts anyone with reasonably intact cognitive function from bring responsible for their own actions. Additionally, it can be argued that many situations involving cruelty or killing without premeditated or malicious intent, or even with altruistic intent, must be caused by cognitive impairment (and what a broad-sweeping term "impairment" is) but that doesn't necessarily make the person immune to prosecution.

Edit: For the record, I'm NOT advocating for throwing "grandma with Alzheimer's" in jail because she thought she was loving her dog, but saying "the owner was old" doesn't mean anything. Not all "old" people have dementia.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I don't know, honestly, why all people do it but my own mother over feeds to show affection. Shamoo came from a person who loved her and overfed, it's sad but I still don't see it as a punishable offensive in the same way that not feeding is. I think the motives of not feeding go hand in hand with plain lack of empathy, forgetfulness, laziness, distain, or the like; while overfeeding never seems to come from anything but an unhealthy way of showing ones affection.

I guess I can move on more easily from fat dogs than I can from bone thin. In my experience being starved messes with the dogs behaviors as well, often sending them to a panicked and dangerous place, while being overfed merely dulls them.

I'm not trying to say its okay to have obese dogs, I just can't get my blood flowing with rage when I see one, usually I dance around it carefully and try to educate while understanding it is unlikely these people did this as a form of punishment.

I have a few at work now for weight loss. One is a pug whom the owner didn't know it was fat until she went to a pug play group and her dog couldn't keep up and looked like a blimp comparatively. She immediately went to the vet, got a special diet, and brought her to us twice a week at 30/day to start exercising her more than she can. She loves the dog very much, she just didn't understand the fat pugs you see in magazines are as unhealthy as the bone rail models you see in high fashion.

I truly haven't any people who starve dogs out of affection, so maybe that sways my judgement but it tells me that for the most part it's easier (ime) to help those with obese dogs because the owners truly do love them they're just severely uneducated on what constitutes health.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't know, honestly, why all people do it but my own mother over feeds to show affection. Shamoo came from a person who loved her and overfed, it's sad but I still don't see it as a punishable offensive in the same way that not feeding is. I think the motives of not feeding go hand in hand with plain lack of empathy, forgetfulness, laziness, distain, or the like; while overfeeding never seems to come from anything but an unhealthy way of showing ones affection.

I guess I can move on more easily from fat dogs than I can from bone thin. In my experience being starved messes with the dogs behaviors as well, often sending them to a panicked and dangerous place, while being overfed merely dulls them.

I'm not trying to say its okay to have obese dogs, I just can't get my blood flowing with rage when I see one, usually I dance around it carefully and try to educate while understanding it is unlikely these people did this as a form of punishment.

I have a few at work now for weight loss. One is a pug whom the owner didn't know it was fat until she went to a pug play group and her dog couldn't keep up and looked like a blimp comparatively. She immediately went to the vet, got a special diet, and brought her to us twice a week at 30/day to start exercising her more than she can. She loves the dog very much, she just didn't understand the fat pugs you see in magazines are as unhealthy as the bone rail models you see in high fashion.

I truly haven't any people who starve dogs out of affection, so maybe that sways my judgement but it tells me that for the most part it's easier (ime) to help those with obese dogs because the owners truly do love them they're just severely uneducated on what constitutes health.
I agree with this.

However.... THAT DOG WAS HUGE! They said it was like 50 lbs over weight? For a total of 75-80 lbs? It's one thing to have a fat pug or a chubby lab.. give or take... 20 lbs. But this dog was to the point where it couldn't even walk. If we compare that dog to a human child, the parents would most certainly be in trouble for having a 300 lb kid. (Didn't do the math, so I'm not sure of the actual comparison.)

My grandfather's dog is/was over weight by about 20 lbs. She has been losing weight, but even he KNEW she was fat. Although, I think I read that the people just 'couldn't resist', so I'm sure they knew Obie was fat too. I just think that amount of weight is a larger problem than the dog solely being overweight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site