Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Ime nosework and agility are really seen separately by the dogs. Nosework 'drive building' is all about the search and building up the drive to search through distractions/distance/duration/etc. the dog leads nosework very independently so it doesn't do too much to build drive for playing with you. Or at least ime.

I do a lot of game playing with Mia because she is very playful. Things like chase and getting her to drive towards her ball are things that are easy to build up drive wise. Summer has no toy drive and does not understand playing. It seems to scare/confuse her. Now let me clarify that that has grown as we've trained and as I teach her more. But she's still a little unsure. Pushing on her chest totally freaks her out. She thinks you're mad at her.

I've found she will chase me is Mia is chasing me. There's a place we go to that has stairs and three levels. The dogs love racing with me there. They're on the top level and I'm on the bottom. We play race race race then they get a reward. Summer loves to train and goes bonkers at the sight of food. So we do a lot of tricks to bring her up (although she really doesn't need it much these days) Her favorites are jumping and spinning. Every training session begins with summer jumping like a crazy dog.

I think he important thing with a dog that is unsure/less drivey is to make everything fun. Even training sit is fast paced. Sit, release really fast, run and chase me, sit, release immediately, treat. I try to incorporate chase as much as possible.

I also agree with beanie that cheer leading often comes across to the dog as nagging/stressful. Keeping things upbeat is great but you can overdo it with 'good summer. Good summer come on summer!'

But I really think it can initially just be a lot for dogs at first. If youre only a few weeks in I'd stick with it. Definitely wouldn't assume he's not going to like it. Training style DOES matter though. Summer walked everything at our old trainers but is pretty darn fast these days. Heavy foundations really helped her.