Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Considering a Smallish Breed Down the Line

Hi all! I have a Harlequin Great Dane pup, my second, and I LOVE him to pieces. I show him, and he's just a wonderful wonderful dog. I lost my little dog about a year and a half ago, a "maltese" who was given to me when I was in the fifth grade. While I couldn't see myself owning another maltese, or any breed that is quite so fragile and small, I have been missing having a little dog. I'd prefer to avoid a TON of grooming, but I don't mind a moderate amount. Lower energy would be preferred; I grew up riding horses and like a jack russell would in NO WAY be up my alley. I never left my little dog unsupervised with my last dane, and my current lives with two chihuahuas at the moment with whom he is very very gentle. Anyways, I thought I'd ask the chazzers if they had any thoughts. I'm kind of a blank slate. I've liked frenchies for years, but they're a little on the larger side and are (and this is kind of stupid, so feel free to tell me I'm stupid) well, kind of the flavor of the week right now. I've been looking through rescues, and perhaps one will jump out at me, but after all the heartbreaking health problems with my little one, I'm wary. Chazzers, any thoughts? Non AKC breeds that I might not have seen before? Thanks, guys!

Note: Don't worry, this would be well down the road. I'm just sick, in bed, and really wishing I had a little fella to cuddle with.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Top Dog

My small dog "wish" is a Chinese Crested The ones I've met have sturdy and had really sweet personalities. Or maybe an Affenpinscher? I have to say, tho, the sweetest "small" dogs I've ever met have been Cocker/Poodle mixes (aka Cockapoos).
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Puppy Dog

I keep coming back to the Cotons and the Frenchies, but have seen the Dandie Dianmont Terrier also, who is adorable. Any thoughts on these, personality wise?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Top Dog

I've never met a Cotton or a Dandie. I met one Frenchie years ago when they did a crop in at an obedience class I was in. They seem to have sweet personalities.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you! I did email a Frenchie breeder in the area to see if she would be attending the upcoming show around here, so we will see how that goes. I appreciate your input
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Border terriers are my small dog want, they're hardy, known for being friendly (dogs and human), and have fantastic off switches which makes for a stable companion with the get up and go when you desire it.

Please make this happen so I can live vicariously through you.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I have to say, I really do love the frenchies, but I get what you say about flavor of the week. I really liked the couple of havanese we worked with but they would be higher grooming.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm All Ears

Havanese? Tibetan spaniel?

There were several cotons at akc agility nationals. Seemed like nice, friendly, rather easy going. I really love havanese though. They're adorable and very happy little dogs. I think my choice for small lower key dog though would be a tibbie. They're so cute and great dogs. A little more aloof though in my experience.

Cavaliers are another but the health problems are quite scary. But I love their temperaments.

Frenchies have some health issues though too.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Puppy Dog

Hate to disappoint, AdrianneIsabel, but Borders don't really do it for me looks wise. I'll go hang out around the ring next time and see if maybe in person they get to me though? I've actually known several Havanese and while this may have been a reflection of their owners, "aloof" was definitely the word. Not really the personality I'm looking for. Some friends of mine have a Tibetian Spaniel, who is friendly and sweet but didn't really speak to me as "Must have one day" the way the first frenchies I met 7 years or so ago, but I'll check them out at the next I'm showing. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I hugely appreciate it, and I'll start trying to hang out somewhere other than the working ring
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I have a customer who has a Dandie. Watson is AWESOME. Just a chill, go with the flow kind of dog.

But he isn't small. He is larger than my 29# corgi.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.