Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I don't know. I've tried to answer this thread for a couple of days now. I don't tend to be attracted to breeds with an obvious standout trait that I know I wouldn't enjoy. I guess Dobermans would be my exception to that... I could list a bunch of things as to why they're not a good fit for me (along with things I do like about them), and yet somehow I have two of them anyway lol.

But Leonbergers and St. Bernards come to mind. I love both of these breeds, but they're SO big. I don't know if I'd actually like living with a giant breed. Even Doberman size is too big for me sometimes. But on the other hand, it's usually the combination of size + high energy that gets on my nerves, and giant breeds usually aren't super energetic. But even without that, the drool (for St. Bernards) and the hair would be a lot to deal with. I groom my dogs so often and I can't imagine grooming a hairy giant breed (or even a short coated Saint) as often as I do my current dogs. I think I might try fostering a giant breed/dog one day just to see if I'd enjoy one or not. If I ever do go for one of those breeds, it'll be a very long time from now.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 PM
such sights to show you

I've had so many breeds just ruined for me, seeing the same problems in them over and over again. To be fair, many of the dogs I see are not all that well bred, but I still have knee-jerk associations for many breeds.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
love herds

The biggest one for me would be DA in ACDs, I adore everything about them and they are perfect for me in just about every way aside from the high chance of DA, which I do not want to deal with again.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM
BusterLove

GSD's, except they are just a big big and lack a bit of agility. I'm surrounded by them atm, half the trainers I know have them and I adore them but when I watch them chasing balls they just don't compare to how Quinn moves when she flattens herself out after a ball.
I get my fix pretty much everyday though atm anyway. Hopefully this year a friend of mine is getting a pup from an excellent working line, I can't wait to watch him grow up.

Labs except the "OMG I LOVE EVERYTHING- YAY!!!!"
That said, this is what makes them one of my favourite dogs to demo with during class. Nothing enjoys its release word like a labrador.

Poodles ecept for the "LA LA I'm a poodle! Nevermind you"
Grooming I've met plenty I don't like but 2 trainers I know have them (1 a standard and 1 a mini) and I love these dogs. The one that I see nearly everyday likes to blow me off like I maybe don't exist untill this week when he relised Quinn was coming in season. She's staying at home now and suddenly poody man thinks I am his best friend because I am the bringer of the girlfriend. lol.
The standard I know is gorgeous, I loves him. He's a nice allround dog but probably not enough "dog" for me.

Most breeds I like come down to that if I had room for another dog, I would want something higher on my list. (Which gets more exclusive by the day)
I love Rotti's and GSD's but if I wanted a dog like that I'd probably get a Mal. I love Collies and GSP's but if I wanted a dog like that I'd go a kelpie, BC or maybe a working line Springer.

Exception to that rule. Greyhounds and Borzoi's. I'm just going to have to make room for them on my couch one day and except they will take a space without being any sort of competitive.
I can't wait...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Top Dog

Pit Bulls. I <3 them so hard but the short coat drives me bonkers. It sticks to EVERYTHING! If they had a double coat that was a spidge longer, I would have many.

Aussies - I have become so intrigued by this breed and would love to try one some day - but I don't like the bunny butt, a tailed Aussie would be very hard to pass up.

ACD - SSA makes me nervous, but I really want to try one someday perhaps.

Chessies - I also want one of these SO BAD someday, but I wish the males were just a bit smaller/more athletic - I don't know if I want to try doing agility with an 85 lb male but I also don't really want a female.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Cara is also hurt at all the dislike for aussie bums. I'm the complete opposite, I love the nub.

I'd have a Leonberger aside from their size.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Poor bunny butt dogs and the prejudice they endure.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely ADORE out friends Bulldog... But OMG the gas!!! You literally can be watching TV and he'll fart and drive you out of the ROOM!! It's one reason I looked at Frenchies.... Figured smaller versions can't stink as bad? Right? LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleigh View Post
i absolutely adore out friends bulldog... But omg the gas!!! You literally can be watching tv and he'll fart and drive you out of the room!! It's one reason i looked at frenchies.... Figured smaller versions can't stink as bad? Right? Lol
wrong!

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com