Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Illustrator?

Anyone use it?

I need helppp. I am used to Corel Draw for work. It is so user friendly (well for stupid people like me). I know AI is a lot more powerful but I am just getting very frustrated. How do I select one point on an object? Is there a way to select like 4-5 points on an object and smooth out that part of the line?

I'm just messing with it but I love the Corel so much at work that I figure I should actually use AI since I have it on my computer at home. But I don't know how...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Taxiderpy

Illustrator is weird. I'm not very used to it either, so far the main thing I've found it useful for is smoothing and resizing line art. It does a good job at that, because it converts the image to vector points vs. pixels. Beyond that though.

I bet Beanie or Sizzle will have more useful input.

Have you looked on youtube for tutorials? Because youtube has everything.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'm wanting to make something like this:

agilitydecal by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

SO EASY in Corel to smooth everything out. Illustrator everything is hidden where I can't find it.

I've looked at tutorials but it's been a while. I always open it up, mess around for about 30 minutes then get frustrated. Corel won't run on a Mac so unless I want a new computer (which I do but don't want to spend money on...)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
aka RedHotBabe

You need the white pointer (Direct Selection Tool) not the black pointer (Selection Tool). The white pointer is at the top right.

There's also a Smooth Tool. It's listed in the Pencil Tool. Long click the pencil and the list will drop down. Pencil is on the right, fifth from top.

If you have your panel set up in a single column, then my locations are completely inaccurate.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
You need the white pointer (Direct Selection Tool) not the black pointer (Selection Tool). The white pointer is at the top right.

There's also a Smooth Tool. It's listed in the Pencil Tool. Long click the pencil and the list will drop down. Pencil is on the right, fifth from top.

If you have your panel set up in a single column, then my locations are completely inaccurate.
Ohhhhh.... Thank you! That helps a lot!

The smoothing tool is strange, I'm not sure how it works. I just drew over my line and it smoothed out. The one in Corel is a slider so you highlight the points and then move the slider to smooth it to a certain degree.

I am not very good with change if you can't tell. lol
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm All Ears

I am still having a problem that when I click on the white pointer then click on an individual node to move that node it moves the entire shape.

ETA: Oh I think I figured it out. You have to click then move. You can't do that in one step.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I haven't used Illustrator in awhile, but I think that's right. You have to click, release, click again, then move. Click and drag moves the whole thing.

I never liked the Smooth Tool. I would just select and delete individual points to even things out manually, lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

What RedHotDobe said! And yes, it can be quite annoying sometimes. Also sometimes it's hard to be certain you got the point you wanted and not something else. I'm using an older version so maybe it has improved in more recent versions to where it's clearer precisely which point, or handle on a curve, you've selected... right now it's just click, hope that's the right one, move it - CRAP WRONG ONE UNDO UNDO.
It's very hard in my opinion to get into a rhythm when working in Illustrator. So much is tweaky, fiddly, tiny adjustments. I usually draw, then tweak... tweak tweak tweak tweak... then draw some more.

I have used the smooth tool some, but it's basically to use it... then manually adjust my curves more, LOL. It does a teensy bit of good but honestly adjusting everything manually is the best way to get things looking really nice and how you want.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Taxiderpy

You can get a windows emulator for mac that will let you run Corel, if Illustrator is too frustrating.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm All Ears

What do you guys use for vector-y drawings?

I've thought about doing a window's emulator but truth be told, my mac is on its later breaths. It doesn't hold any charge anymore at all. Sometimes it just shuts down. I keep putting off buying a PC but I think I'm going to have to soon. And I am pretty sure my next computer will be a PC because of 1) cost 2) makes it easier for me to work from home if need be. The office intranet does not do well with Macs 3) Corel. lol