Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Djetzel,

I think you need to just take a step back here and look at what people are telling you. It's not that a traumatic injury caused the limp, but over time, repeated jumping/running/whatever have you, can and will have a negative impact on a young puppy's growing structure.

I have been there. I jumped my adolescent border collie too much and too high as a puppy and he ended up with a long lasting shoulder injury and retired from agility early. I wish someone would have warned me about the serious implications of what I was having him do.

The people that are warning you have experience just like I do. It may not be firsthand but they have it. They've been in dogs long enough to see fantastic dogs end careers early because of rushing training.

With my dogs, I am taking the safe route and always have. I've had them evaluated by orthopedic vets for weaknesses in their structure. Zinga had radiographic proof that her growth plates were closed before starting ANY jumping or contact work.

I pay close attention to the flooring and footing before doing any sport with my dogs and absolutely would never, ever throw a disc on concrete floor or even ask for any jumping behavior there. Too slippery and there's no give.

You will always find people who say that it's ok to jump young dogs, or ok to play on whatever surface. You as a handler have to weigh the risks and benefits. I know for me, that one training session is absolutely not worth the risk of ending my dog's career.

So yes, that one session of playing disc didn't CAUSE your dog's injury. However, it certainly didn't help it and adding all of the things you are doing with him at this young age together, it builds up and can eventually cause a chronic injury that presents similarly.

For what it's worth, my vet said it would be ok to do vaults with Zinga when she was 8 months old because her growth plates were "most likely closed".

ETA: that above was an example of bad advice. Her growth plates didn't actually close until 12 months.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie

Last edited by SaraB; 04-29-2013 at 10:19 AM.