Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Love, love, love, love rhodies!!

I grew up with one, known a lot, and Bates' current BFF is a lovely rhodesian bitch.

Hiking companion? Check. They are very hardy in the exercise department.
Large? Check. Though know your lines, and know that bitches are going to be significantly smaller.

Endurance with off switch? Check. They're LAZY in the house. Though you have to survive puppyhood first to get to this stage, and puppyhood sometimes lasts YEARS.

Heat tolerant? Absolutely. They do very well in hot climates.

Protective? Yup.

Wildlife smart and outdoorsy? Check. It helps to bring them up this way too though.

Getting along with other dogs? Really, with halfway decent handling, this shouldn't be an issue. Ours growing up was intact and he lived with two other intact dogs, one a terrier. He never started anything, though if he needed to, he would put an end to things. He definitely could take care of himself, but he was never out to hurt or kill another dog. Once he made his point with other dogs, he rarely had to make it again. That kind of dog.
Bates' BFF has AWESOME dog skills. She's perfectly happy to correct dogs acting stupid, but again, nothing over the top, and she de-escalates very easily.

Training? They get a bad rap in the biddability department, but they're actually super smart dogs. Like annoyingly smart. Like figure out child locks on cabinets smart.
They're an interesting blend of a sighthound and molosser, so you not only have to make whatever you're training worth their while, they're not going to put up nicely with being pushed around. But if you approach training in a way that makes sense to them, they're very trainable. No reason why they can't be reliable off leash, and even compete in obedience if you're so inclined

Did I mention I love this breed?
All of this. Breed is on my major want list right now. They are absolutely lovely dogs when you're a good fit for one.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewave View Post
Like I said the only one I've ever met was not a good experience. He ran around the back of the house and barked at me and wouldn't come anywhere near me. Where there Rottweiler and Presa they had was happy to see me! I don't like dogs with shady temperaments so that is a big issue for me. But from what I've read, he isn't the norm.
Unfortunately, there are a good many timid ones out there - no, not correct for the breed, but when people who don't know what they're doing try to water the breed down, that's one of the results. Yes, definitely check out the lines.

That said, though they love their people, and well socialized, they can be friendly enough, they're not a fawn all over you type dog like a rottie or dobe. The breed standard calls for them to be "reserved with strangers", and they are.
Ours was silly and goofy and love-ey with us, but he never gave strangers or visitors the time of day. At best he acted like they didn't exist.
My friend's bitch completely ignored me at first. Now she'll play with me, recall for me, and every once in a blue moon I'll get a kiss from her. But it's very clear she's not my dog.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Unfortunately, there are a good many timid ones out there - no, not correct for the breed, but when people who don't know what they're doing try to water the breed down, that's one of the results. Yes, definitely check out the lines.

That said, though they love their people, and well socialized, they can be friendly enough, they're not a fawn all over you type dog like a rottie or dobe. The breed standard calls for them to be "reserved with strangers", and they are.
Ours was silly and goofy and love-ey with us, but he never gave strangers or visitors the time of day. At best he acted like they didn't exist.
My friend's bitch completely ignored me at first. Now she'll play with me, recall for me, and every once in a blue moon I'll get a kiss from her. But it's very clear she's not my dog.
I don't mind reserved with strangers. But running and hiding is not acceptable to me in a breed that is suppose to have protective instincts. I have very few if any visitors so that isn't a real issue as far as not loving strangers. I just can not deal with timid dog. One of my Greyhounds doesn't like strangers, but he is not timid with me in the slightest, actually he is pretty hardheaded stubborn jackass at times! Which I do like. I don't necessarily want an easy dog. I do like a challenge, but not 24/7.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't mind reserved with strangers. But running and hiding is not acceptable to me in a breed that is suppose to have protective instincts. I have very few if any visitors so that isn't a real issue as far as not loving strangers. I just can not deal with timid dog. One of my Greyhounds doesn't like strangers, but he is not timid with me in the slightest, actually he is pretty hardheaded stubborn jackass at times! Which I do like. I don't necessarily want an easy dog. I do like a challenge, but not 24/7.
Well, running and hiding is not correct for the breed period. Nor is timid. But like I said, get enough idiot BYB who don't understand temperament, and they can't tell the difference between aloof and timid, and you get timid and fearful rhodies out there.
You also get the other end of the spectrum with some serious aggression issues with protective instincts gone awry.

But the *correct* temperament is not a timid dog nor an aggressive one.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Big Dog

That is why I gotta go meet some well bred ones before I make a decision.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Love, love, love a well bred rhodie.

Have you looked into a boerboel at all that have the hound influence and body structure in them? They are very protective and energetic if you can find a breeder that has that type of boerboel.

But I say go for a rhodie.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Love, love, love a well bred rhodie.

Have you looked into a boerboel at all that have the hound influence and body structure in them? They are very protective and energetic if you can find a breeder that has that type of boerboel.

But I say go for a rhodie.
I have fostered a Boerboel. I like them, but if I am going with a mastiff, I'll take a Dogo with a Presa being my next choice. My biggest issue so far with the RR is I find many of them ugly. I just don't like the way they a big majority of them look. Some I do like, but many just like redbone mix to me or some hound mutt at the pound. I'm afraid I would end up with an ugly one! Sounds silly, but it what I'm thinking right now after looking at lots of websites about them!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
I'm used to dealing with Dogo Argentinos and Dobermans in the SSA department! Those are my other 2 choices as they are what I'm used too. Downside- Doberman pups are more active than I want (although my Greyhound pup is giving every Dobe pup I've owned/fostered a run for their money) and so far haven't found a suitable adult rescue. Dogos- I would have to go puppy and on one hand I really want one, but the litter I want is coming sooner than I really want and not sure I want to deal with raising another Dogo pup. They are awesome as little ones, but their teenage years leave much to be desired! But then they become awesome again as seniors like my Casper!
I just meant that regardless of the breed if they are known for SSA you cant count on it being OK with your Grey simply because its a Grey and not a dominate breed.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I just meant that regardless of the breed if they are known for SSA you cant count on it being OK with your Grey simply because its a Grey and not a dominate breed.
Can't speak for show lines, but with coldbloods & stags, apparently late onset DA is fairly common. They seem to just get cranky in their old age and will lite up random dogs for no good reason. Sonic has been dong this mostly to male dogs for a couple years now.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

Don't let this influence your decision:

or this:

or these: