Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Barbet?

Anyone have any experience with one?

My coworker/friend/owner of Ava who I've posted pictures of/person is looking at them for a potential next breed.

She is a member here, but the Internet is hard but I'm hoping she will post to respond to any responses here. I know she will at least be reading the thread.

Anywho, any input is appreciated!

And here is a picture of Ava and Siri to help persuade you all to post lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I asked about them probably last year, and I think one person had a friend with one, and everybody else had no idea what it was

I've talked to a breeder about them in depth and met many of their dogs but I'm heading out the door for work, so I'll come back to the thread. Barbet is a future breed for me, for sure.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

My former coworker/good friend has them as family dogs. His parents had always had english cockers, but wanted a more unique breed this time and found a Barbet breeder in Canada they went to.

Zeus is great with all his nephews and nieces, flops at his feet while he writes law school papers and then goes and chases balls in the yard when he needs a study break. Looks to me like a super expensive doodle (and from the sounds of it, acts similarly).

I'm sure all this second hand information is SUPER helpful. Basically though, these are not super dog savvy people, and they love the breed and are sold on having one forever.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks guys!

I know she started reading about them and likes all of the stuff she has read, but then again reading online is one thing and people's experiences are another. I know that she said all of the breeders that she liked were in Canada.

I'm hoping she will come on and make a "Right breed for me" thread eventually as well.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Anyone have any experience with one?
I don't have one, but have read quite a bit about them, and have seen and interacted with quite a few of them from a number of breeders. We happen to have several friends with Barbets and, having puppy-sat one for a while, got to know her more intimately. So all that, does not an expert make me, but:

They're truly lovely little dogs (although size is relative - to me, they're "little"). I found them to be, overall, very similar in temperament and personality to the Portuguese Water Dog which, for you friends, could be another option (along with the Lagotto Romagnolo with which I have no first-hand experience).

The Barbet is a bright, interactive, energetic, happy dog. The biggest caveat would be the potentially tireless energy level. They do settle as they mature, but their get-up-and-go can often rival that of the Portie. If this is a potential issue, make sure your friends get a calmer, lower energy puppy.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Active Pup

Default Barbet

Thanks for the info! Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself, but like PWCorgi said, internetting is hard. Basically I would like a dog that I can jog with and has some sporting potential, isn't quite so serious (i've had herding breeds in the past) good with kids, and not over 50 lbs (I'm 5ft 1"). While my husband wants a dog that doesn't shed... I know most people reach for the doodles, but since I have ethical and practical issues with designer breeds that isn't an option (even though Ava is technically a designer, she's a rescue so she doesn't count )
Now that I've effectively wasted 10 minutes of your life rambling, I'm curious to know everyones input on this breed or any others that might fit this ridiculously long bill
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

Lol, you obvious haven't seen the 'breed suggestion' we put up (myself included) if you think your list is long.

I have nothing else useful to add to this thread, except whatever you end up with, we require lots of pictures

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzICan View Post
Thanks for the info! Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself, but like PWCorgi said, internetting is hard. Basically I would like a dog that I can jog with and has some sporting potential, isn't quite so serious (i've had herding breeds in the past) good with kids, and not over 50 lbs (I'm 5ft 1"). While my husband wants a dog that doesn't shed... I know most people reach for the doodles, but since I have ethical and practical issues with designer breeds that isn't an option (even though Ava is technically a designer, she's a rescue so she doesn't count )
Now that I've effectively wasted 10 minutes of your life rambling, I'm curious to know everyones input on this breed or any others that might fit this ridiculously long bill
I could see nixing a doodle and getting a straight up standard poodle, for other breed suggestions. Good with kids, mine is a great running buddy, and plenty of goofiness. Girls generally stay within your weight range. Wesley is under 50 lbs, but he's wicked skinny and most boys I know are 60 or so.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

Why not a rescue doodle?

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm All Ears

There are labradoodle breeders out here who are health testing their dogs too. I wouldn't think it would be very hard to find a decent labradoodle breeder.