Collar rant.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Until Rider and foster Lucy, I've never had a dog with long-ish hair. Boxer hair is super short. You can put ANY collar on her, and even if the hair breaks, it still looks good because it is super short.

Well, I've had just normal ribbon on nylon collars on the two cattle dogs mixes, and IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE because the hair on the top sticks up and breaks and when you take the collar off, it's all worn down and nasty looking.

So, I invested in rolled leather collars, but they pretty much do the same thing, just in smaller amounts. Plus, there is still the "flat collar" style in the front where the buckle is.

I swear I will never win. First world problems.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My dogs' fur does get stuck down if they've been wearing a collar for a long time, but I've never had a problem with the hair actually breaking. :confused:
I've always figured there's just no solution, except a good bath, and right after you put the collar back on and start the process of pushing the fur down again. :/

crazedACD

Yep. I started taking collars off at night and when we were hanging out, but it didn't seem to help if they are wearing them for any length of time. I'm aware of it but I don't know of any viable solutions, I just accept it.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
White Pine SoftWeb collars are your best bet if your dogs need to wearcollars regularly! We have the limited slip version and while our crew doesn't wear collars in the house most of the time, when I forget and leave a WP collar on for a few days, there are still no signs of breakage. :)

meepitsmeagan

White Pine SoftWeb collars are your best bet if your dogs need to wearcollars regularly! We have the limited slip version and while our crew doesn't wear collars in the house most of the time, when I forget and leave a WP collar on for a few days, there are still no signs of breakage. :)
Awesome thank you!

Gypsydals

I have to add to the white pine collars. Ivans got one, he's had his since he was a puppy and its still going strong.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
White Pine collars are great.

If you want something with more decoration options, Nearly Naked Neckwear is fantastic. There is a reason a lot of FCR people buy her collars (and not just because one of her dogs is an FCR ;)) -- they are extremely well made and the smooth exterior doesn't seem to break fur at all. Mira has two and I've been really impressed with the craftsmanship.

DJEtzel

Does fleece lining help to not break hair? I have no experience with fleece, but the comment from Shai made me think a softer material may not do it?

I have the same trouble with Frag, I've just come to accept it. I keep Recon in a paracord slip and I've noticed very minimal breaking so far! Sir's the easy one! ;)

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Yep, this is why Sienna wears a rolled leather collar, and I keep it loose enough so it rests on her shoulders...below her ruff mostly. She also doesn't wear it in the house. I walk her on a slip collar since the rolled leather one is so loose - it's really just there to hold her tags. I'm a tad jealous of all you owners of short haired dogs who have pretty collar wardrobes. :)

I was leaving a collar on Kris, the Dobe, all the time until I was out fixing my electric fence for the horse. Kris was on the other side of the fence and started squeezing her head through the page wire to reach some horse manure and I thought how easy it would be for her to get her collar hooked up. She only wears a collar now when we are leaving the property.

Sekah

The Monster.
If your dog must wear a collar, I like the White Pine ones previously mentioned. However, if you're vain like me, and have dogs who are very reliable off leash like me, I would recommend letting them go naked the majority of the time. Especially when at home.

I also walk my dogs on harnesses to minimize fur breakage and cowlicks, and I switch between several different styles depending on my mood and where we're going. I'm quite pleased with Cohen's coat as a result.

meepitsmeagan

I keep collars on mainly out of convenience. We do not have a fenced yard, so we let the dogs out one at a time on a long line, unless we go out to supervise. Thus, it is just easier to have them on.

When we have a fenced yard next year, collars will probably be a thing of the past, except for outings. Lol. But for now, they are what works best.

Thanks for input everybody! I will definitely look into all of the options and fur-saving collars that are provided. :D

Members online

No members online now.