Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

I lived with 5 for 3 years of college, and then 3 for grad school. They're roomates, you'll figure it out. Since then I think we've had at least 3 sets of family members and their families live with us during a transition period of their lives, some for as long as 8 months. Sure it's nice having all your own stuff, but there's a lot of fun in sharing with others too.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Does each bedroom have a lock? I'd be a bit worried about so many people and their friends having access to my stuff...
This. ^ Not only that, but if you have to leave Merlin, I don't know that I would trust somebody that I just moved in with to not do stupid things... Maybe I'm just overly paranoid, though.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Allons-y!

Given what you've said, I think I would do it. It's an established household with polite people, and while it is a lot of people to live with, it sounds like you'll still have your own space. Granted, this is coming from someone planning on living in a triple dorm room next year, so pretty much anything sounds better by comparison

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I wouldn't do it, but having said that, I have tons of actual friends who have asked me to move in with them and I won't, so maybe it's just me lol!

I think the 5 people thing wouldn't bother me as much as 2 bathrooms and 5 people would. What if you had to use the bathroom REALLY bad and someone was in both bathrooms? I mean, I live with 4 other people at my house, but there are 3 bathrooms, plus they are my family members and I can be like "GTFO I GOTTA GET IN THERE NOW!" Lol! I don't know that I could live with room mates though, just because I'm so afraid of confrontation or something bad happening and then you have to live there and it would be awkward, etc.

If you can move in and have the option to leave whenever you want (no 1 year contract or anything) then I would probably try it. Especially since its so much cheaper than what you had. And you may make really good friends with these people! Are they all women or is it women and men? That would probably affect my decision also.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I lived with 10 people once in a shared home.

Its hard work, but doable. I stayed there for 2 years!!

I've also lodged with people. I don't mind sharing but little issues very quickly become major issues if people have different ways of dealing with them.

You're young, its a life experience worth having. It can be LOTS of fun. It can be a nightmare...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I think the 5 people thing wouldn't bother me as much as 2 bathrooms and 5 people would. What if you had to use the bathroom REALLY bad and someone was in both bathrooms?

If you can move in and have the option to leave whenever you want (no 1 year contract or anything) then I would probably try it. Especially since its so much cheaper than what you had. And you may make really good friends with these people! Are they all women or is it women and men? That would probably affect my decision also.
I live with 5 people and 2 bathrooms - plus pretty soon a newborn, and my cousin will be staying for a while...so far it's never REMOTELY been a problem. I've also lived 3-4 people with one bathroom, and it was also never a problem. I can see if people are leaving at the exact same time for work, it might be, but you just sort that out with who showers/gets ready when...put makeup on/do your hair in the bedroom instead.

Even if it was a 1 year lease, I'd do it. 1 year is a relatively short period of time, even if 3 months into it you start to hate it. And, it sounds like a really great situation for a ton of students or younger working people, so if it's AWFUL like really, really, really AWFUL, you can get someone to take over the lease pretty easily.

I can see why some people would prefer to live with all women (or all men), but that wouldn't sway my decision in the slightest (maybe if I was the only girl, but your friend is coming too). The majority of people I know with mixed-gendered roommates are happier in their living situation than the people in an apartment with 4 other girls/guys...it could be a coincidence, but I think the dynamic is a lot better with a mix.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

I've done 4 people in a little 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom suite (it was two couples). It was a bit squishy but worked fine. We were all friends previous to this, though. I've also done 4 in our current house, which is 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, and it is super easy, so much room, no problem. I think the trick is getting along with the other folks. I've always just had roommates that I'm friends with already, and even so, patience can wear thin about some things.

But I think go for it! It sounds like an awesome situation.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

I lived with four other people last year and it went surprisingly well until the end with a dumb fight, which could happen anywhere and had nothing to do with the amount of people in the house.

One other person was my boyfriend, one was a cousin, and two were a couple I had met who were members at the dog park where I work.

They had 3 dogs, I had three-four dogs, and everything worked great. 2 shared one bathroom, 3 shared the other, we talked about expectations for dogs before they moved in, what was ok and what wasn't, every door had a lock but no one used one... it was about 2,500 sq ft so there was plenty of space, we kept colored labels on our foods and just asked each other what was who's and what could or couldn't be shared (like butter, ketchup, trash bags, paper plates, etc) and we were all pretty easy going and not bad to get along with/live with. If it hadn't ended so poorly over an iphone cord and some stressed students, I would say that I would do it again. If I had the right group of people..

Personally, I'd say go for it if you've met the people and like them, are comfortable around them, etc. Passive aggressive tendencies are what I have most often seen ruin roommate situations and cause fights and issues. If you can't be upfront with everyone about what you want and who's doing what, it probably won't work out. Just my .02!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

Didn't end up working out.
I went back and met the people and the person I'm moving in with wasn't into it
- There were no locks on the doors
- It's month by month so people living there change quite rapidly (with no background checks or anything)
- Rooms were iddy bitty
- No system for whose food is whose

It just seemed disorganized and I feel like I wouldn't be comfortable. It felt like a hostel..well managed and clean but people coming and going and potential for theft, not really "home"
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

Sorry it didn't work out! :/

Hopefully you find something "homey" and affordable soon.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm