Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I think that if you 'have to have' one of these breeds this would be a better option, as you will be able to better ascertain the temperament as an adult. You might be able to find those flukes where the dog is more suited to you. You would just have to be open to the people in the rescue assisting in finding the right dog, not insist on the one that is prettiest or whatever.
I agree wit this opinion.

To the OP, have you thought on fostering first a milder temperament dog? maybe you can try to foster one of the breeds that were described before in this thread like a Dobe, rottie, etc.. then you can have an idea of what a dogo or a corso could be.

Or you can volunteer in a dogo or corso rescue place before taking one home.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Yes, that is also an option

Last edited by Dogdragoness; 04-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yes, that is also an option
That is a wise option, you see I have met some dobes from south american show lines, and they do have very strong DA.

Mostly a brown female I met, she was hard to deal wit even for an owner wit experience in dobes.. sadly her wild temperament got her in trouble and she died in an accident.

However I also met one of those flukes, a male who is very sweet and didn't had a troublesome DA, but he might be one in a million mostly since he is from SA lines.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I never had a dobe with DA & I have fostered two & raised one. Like I said ... Plenty of time to make a decision
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
woof!

Quote:
I never had a dobe with DA & I have fostered two & raised one. Like I said ... Plenty of time to make a decision
Maybe is because the majority of the ones I have met are from SA lines, here they are more common to see than the US ones since I'm in latin america.

For what I have read they have mush stronger temperament to deal than the average US line dobe.

Maybe you should go also to dog events like conformation shows, even if you don't plan in buying a show prospect you can see how the handlers deal and keep them while they aren't in the ring, how they react to other dogs, etc.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Don't forget you also have a male and a female ACD, which (as you certainly know) can be SSA and/or have inter-household fighting issues. I fight this out in my head when looking into breeds as adding another A-type personality (with tendencies towards SSA) might not be a great idea. Romeo isn't outwardly aggressive at all, not concerning, but with the other boys he can be scrappy in the house. He will be seven in June and it's really been the last two or three years (since hitting definite maturity) that this has started. Only the past year or so that he MUST be separated from one particular dog, and they lived together since he was a year old.

As much as I would absolutely add another ACD as nextdog, when I'm ready I would have to assess my current situation, be realistic, and add the 'right' dog. I might decide on something like a Collie or a Poodle where the dog dynamic would be a little more relaxed.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Can't speak for the whole breed, but the dobe I had in high school had a deep & abiding hatred for all fuzzy dogs. Schnauzers, dales, drathaars you name it, if it was fuzzy she had a burning desire to kill it. Smooth dogs & long hair but not fuzzy (like setters), no problems.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Im saying this as a Doberman person and (future) breeder who has spent time with both Dogos and Corsi:

Both breeds make most Dobermans look mild mannered and people friendly . They are no were near the same for experience and personality needed for them.

ANY emotion will come down the lead with these dogs. If you feel anxious in a crowd or nervous, the corso/dogo will too. They can and will bite someone.

As for dog aggression in dobermans, the SA lines are more know for it. However a male doberman is about 95% likely to be SSA, MUCH more than a female. No good breeder would sell a male to a home with a male already in it, neutered or not, unless you had years of breed specific experience.

Even though Danes are considered a mastiff type dog, I dont consider them to be temperament wise. They are so easy compared to a Corso or Dogo.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with admitting a breed isnt suited for you. There are lots of breeds I want but wouldnt be a good owner for.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Let it be

This was a very informative read. Maybe got a little off topic for the original OP there for awhile but for someone who is doing research on Corsos right now THANK-YOU for your blunt honesty.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm All Ears

I have like... less than zero interest in ever owning a guardian breed/molosser but I was wondering. I always thought corsos were not as intense as the presas, filas, etc. Is that the wrong assumption?