Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM
& the Muttly Crew

We don't seem to have flea issues (some people do, but we don't seem to), but ticks...so many ticks...I *hate* ticks!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
orange iguanas.

Neither really seem to be an issue. I've never worried about fleas, and don't know anyone that has had an issue with fleas... even at work, the only case of fleas I've seen was on a feral cat that animal control had picked up.

Ticks, I suppose it depends. It seems like some people have a huge issue with them, others don't. Me, I've never had an issue with them. Even just on MYSELF, I've had friends that complain every time they go in the woods they have to pull ticks off themselves when they get home. And I'm just like, that's disgusting lol I've never found a tick on me. I have pulled a total of 2 ticks off Juno. None of my other pets have ever had one.

I use preventatives sporadically. With a short haired dog, I figure it's just easier to look her over and pull them off. Guess we'll see what ends up happening with Happy.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
It depends on where you go here, really. My pets have never had a single flea on them, we don't use prevention, and we go walking through the woods a whole lot. And Maggie has probably had five ticks on her in the entire time we've had her.

I go walking around in deep woods a lot, and I've only had one tick on me. My friend however, always ends up with ticks on him, and this is when we're walking together. I think it might be because they grab on his leg hair, because I don't have any haha.
Pretty much this.

They CAN get RIDICULOUSLY BAD down here. Like epidemic and you want them in a plastic bubble bad. Like, one day your apartment is infested with fleas bad.

But other times, you can tempt fate for years and never get them. It seems worse the closer to Memphis you get. Woods aren't really that bad.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Never had a flea problem, but ticks thrive out here. Millie once even had tick fever. :/
When Lucy came home she brought ticks along with her- lots and lots of baby ticks. Absolutely disgusting. She slept in my bed, so she got my bedroom and ME infested as well.
*shudders from the memory*

Fortunately for some reason I haven't seen them on my dogs in years, but they pop up on other people's dogs and livestock a lot.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

Neither seem to be an issue here. Apparently dog lice can be though, and I'm not in the woods enough to know what ticks are really like around here. But my dogs and I are pretty active during spring/summer and I have never seen a tick or a flea or lice on any of my dogs ever, and they are never on any sort of preventative. And since I'm not used to anything like that, if I ever do find something on me or my dogs, I would freak out lol. Crawly things and I are not friends.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Fleas are only a problem here when you have cats, which we did have one up until this year and are still fighting it off and on.

Ticks aren't horrible... but they're around. Mosquitos are bad. Gotta pick up this years meds soon too now that I think about it.