Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Default Dogo Argentino possibly in the future

Hello all, I have been doing some research & have found that a dogo might be a good fit for me in the future (a year or so from now) Does anyone have experience with this breed? How is day to day life with them? how are they to raise & train?
thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Make friends with a breed club, find a local contact, assist in a rescue.

They're tough dogs with extreme agility for their size.

Why do you want one?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I just like the breed, I have been doing research & so far I like what I have been reading, this is not going to happen until next year at the earliest. I also have been researching the cane corso ... but they may be too large for me, I also like their temperment though.

remember I have done ACDs ... another tough breed so I am no stranger to tough breeds who are very athletic
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Oh dear god do not get a cane corso.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Oh dear god do not get a cane corso.
Or a Dogo.

But seriously if you think a large molosser compares to an ACD you're in for a world of surprises.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Or a Dogo.

But seriously if you think a large molosser compares to an ACD you're in for a world of surprises.
Yep. I didn't want to name dogo mainly because if asked I can't say I have experience with them

Seriously. Just, don't.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Or a Dogo.

Pretty much that. They don't even compare. Not even a little bit, actually not at all.

Why do you want a Molosser breed, other than you like them and think they will be a good match?

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Hello all, I have been doing some research & have found that a dogo might be a good fit for me in the future (a year or so from now) Does anyone have experience with this breed? How is day to day life with them? how are they to raise & train?
thanks.
I've hunted behind a dozen, both imports & American bred workers. They have some variation in temperament, but generally you're talking all the intensity of an ACD, & the hunt drive of a good cur dog but the refusal to quit of a good bulldog in a package that can run up to 130# FIT. In terms of accepting human leadership, I think they are much harder dogs than the corsii (but I've only met two of those). They can be EXTREMELY dangerous to uninvited guests, like the UPS guy. The show only lines are generally bigger than working only lines (usually a couple inches over standard & 10-20# heavier even when fit). The dual lines split the difference well but still tend a little bigger. If you can handle it and have patience they are highly trainable, my friend Aaron trained his first dogo Samson to Sch III (the first in the USA).
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Big Dog

Owned and fostered Dogos for the past 13 yrs. Love them, but they are not for everyone. ACD experience is nothing. Dogos are larger and more powerful. They are dominant, can be aggressive with unknown dogs, same sex aggression with other dogs in the home. As puppies and young adults they need a lot of exercise and I'm not talking about a dog park!

They have a high prey drive and high pain threshold.

My foster Dogo who had been used for hog hunting in his previous home and not secured properly, got out killed some cats and small dogs and was picked up by animal control. Owner didn't want to pay all the fines so he went to Dogo rescue and I fostered him. He had a prey drive through the roof. My idiot neighbor for some reason, had a sheep in their yard and Dexter went through my kitchen window to get to it. Talk about running- I'm not sure how I managed, but I made it out the door and across the yard and tackled him as he was going over the 6 ft fence with full intentions of killing that sheep.

Hardheaded, stubborn when they want something. Very intelligent, but more to their advantage than yours! Woods smart. Great noses. Casper is a marvelous tracker.

In general good with children. Good guard/protection dogs. Had an intruder break in and another foster Dogo I had ate him a live. She fought even after being stabbed in the head and multiple rib fractures. These are tough dogs. But can be a big liability if you are not prepared for them.

I find Cane Corso to be a lot milder than most Dogos at least my experience with both breeds.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Big Dog

And as for living with one- white hair everywhere on everything you own. It will work it way into fabric and not come out!

Food allergies are pretty common. Sensitive stomachs. Ear infections, skin issues are common complaints.

Food aggression with other animals is pretty common as well.

Most of mine could open doors and gates. Open the fridge as well. You need very secure crates if you have a escape. Dexter could destroy a wire or plastic kennel in no time flat. He needed one of those $500 crates!

Chew- puppies are horrible chewers. Puppies can also be very sensitive/soft until they hit maturity. Most I find are still rather handler sensitive unless their prey drive has kicked in and they want to kill something.