Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Lasers don't sound cheap
I was actually surprised by how affordable they are around here. I think it's $25 for a single session and $40 for a double, or somewhere in that range, and twice a week. So, ~$50 a week for a month to have a healthy dog again? OKAY! My dogs have not needed it yet, but when I dogsat a couple summers ago two of the dogs needed it twice a week for arthritis, and it REALLY helped them.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I was actually surprised by how affordable they are around here. I think it's $25 for a single session and $40 for a double, or somewhere in that range, and twice a week. So, ~$50 a week for a month to have a healthy dog again? OKAY! My dogs have not needed it yet, but when I dogsat a couple summers ago two of the dogs needed it twice a week for arthritis, and it REALLY helped them.
Wow! That's good to know! That's also half of my paycheck every week, but we can handle that when/if the time comes.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Ditto - it's comparable with chiropractor care here. $40 for a session of chiro care, I think it's like $30-50 for the laser therapy. Not too bad really, and I've heard good things about it. I've never used it with Auggie though.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Ditto - it's comparable with chiropractor care here. $40 for a session of chiro care, I think it's like $30-50 for the laser therapy. Not too bad really, and I've heard good things about it. I've never used it with Auggie though.
So, I have a quick question about chiro. There was one at the Sunflower Cluster, and I was considering having Logan examined and/or adjusted since it was $50 and no travel. But doesn't it need to be done more than once if something is off? I figured it was pointless to do it once and then not be able to follow up, so I didn't do it.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
So, I have a quick question about chiro. There was one at the Sunflower Cluster, and I was considering having Logan examined and/or adjusted since it was $50 and no travel. But doesn't it need to be done more than once if something is off? I figured it was pointless to do it once and then not be able to follow up, so I didn't do it.
I am not a chiropractor (and in the animal world a chiro must legally also be a DVM; in the human word a chiro has a certificate program but is not legally required to be a PHD) so take this with that in mind...

I would say it depends on the issue.

Auggie, for example, ran into the wall one day (less gracefully than normal) and wrenched his neck. Like he was walking crooked as a result. He also slipped practicing agility in the snow one time and landed hard on his shoulder/neck and wrenched that. Those issues were resolved with one adjustment because it was minor trauma and the adjustment was done within a short time of the trauma happening (less than a week both times IIRC.)

On the other hand Auggie needs routine chiropractic care because of his feet, because he stands funny, and that throws lots of things out of alignment - his shoulders because he stands funny, which throw off his hips, and his back gets torqued slightly as a result. He also sometimes needs an adjustment at the wrist, and when he did agility he frequently jammed toes and needed those adjusted - the jammed toes were an easy fix and wouldn't need readjusted except he continued to jam them. I would not be surprised if I took Payton in right now and he had a jammed toe or two just given his craziness.

(From a human perspective, by the time it comes to an adjustment usually it's become a chronic problem that takes multiple adjustments to fix, OR it's a chronic problem as a result of things we do. Like for example I have a chronic problem because I have poor posture while sitting at a computer all day at work.)

So it depends entirely on what is going on and what is/was the cause. I would not find HARM in a single adjustment, but you may not get the full benefits if there is some kind of chronic problem that will require multiple adjustments. Possibly not useless if, say, a single adjustment revealed a chronic problem to you and let you know that he needed further care. But in most cases I think if there's a chronic problem you would see suggestions that there's an issue in one way or another from the dog and his behaviour.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Thanks! That makes sense. Next time I may get him seen, just out of curiosity. I've been told once (by someone who is not a chiro and made the judgement based on a single photo) that he needs his sacrum adjusted. So I've been curious since then to see if that's true, or if she's whacko lol. There's just nobody around here that does it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

And once he has recovered, stop training a puppy in agility on full sized equipment until his growth plates have closed.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
And once he has recovered, stop training a puppy in agility on full sized equipment until his growth plates have closed.
Excuse me? He's jumping 8" and the only time he's on a contact is for 2o2o training and getting him used to the movement of the teeter while it's held. He doesn't weave or do anything with impact. Everything his breeder and all three of my trainers approve of. Thank you for your judgement, but I will do what I want with MY dog and take the opinions of highly regarded trainers and breeders in my life.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Excuse me? He's jumping 8" and the only time he's on a contact is for 2o2o training and getting him used to the movement of the teeter while it's held. He doesn't weave or do anything with impact. Everything his breeder and all three of my trainers approve of. Thank you for your judgement, but I will do what I want with MY dog and take the opinions of highly regarded trainers and breeders in my life.
Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Recon did pretty awesome on some serpentines and 2o2o work after my agility classes yesterday, so I took him out to the park today to work on 2o2o more with teeter work and weaves. He is doing so awesome. He has chained 6 weaves now and is no longer scared shitless of the teeter and will move over it pretty confidently! Yay!
So is he doing weaves or not doing weaves?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Ignoring the other issues (which I agree with Ado on, but I know you've discussed it with people and have made your decision), I would make a point to find a rehab or 'sports' focused vet. I had issues with Gusto being lame a few weeks ago, and messed around with a regular vet and a chiro vet before I finally went to a rehab vet. Best decision ever. She did a full on lameness work up before diagnosing a bicep strain (other vet just wanted x-rays without ever even examining him). He had two laser treatments ($35/each) and was back to light agility work (ZERO jumping/weaves/contacts, but tunnels and "ground poles" between standards) 8 hours after the first laser treatment. After dealing with horse lameness for years, I was incredibly disappointed by how most small animal vets handle lameness. This vet renewed my faith.