Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
YAY! Kimma got her NA title today! We are officially out of Novice. 3
Wooohoooo!!! Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Holy ballsy puppy Batman. I got out my mini a-frame to work on 2o2o with Payton. I have to disconnect the chains to get it to lay flat like a plank so I put P in a down-stay near the cookie jar thinking he would stay put. I had the a-frame out and it was low, but still probably three feet, while I was unhooking the chains.

I'm hoping that will stop as he figures out more what I'm asking for?
Ugh, Zinga pulled that s*** on me the other day too! She actually DROVE over the top (we've done quite a bit of lowered a-frame work), and nailed her 2o2o position, so I played with it a bit at that height. Ultimately I wasn't entirely happy with her driving into position, so we are back on lowered again.

As far as him pivoting, I would try placing the treat on the ground so that it's consistently in the same place and he'll learn that pivoting gets him nothing. If he's grabbing the treat from your hand, pivoting will essentially be rewarding as he's closer to the source of the reward. If that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Yay! Glad you had a good weekend. I'm sure they were incredibly grateful for the help.

I had a slightly bizarre weekend with my dogs at the AKC trial. Gusto was actually about what I had expected, or maybe even better. Both of his standard runs were a little disjointed, with a few "Look I'm on the table! Why are you over at that jump?" moments and the like, but he never once really 'left' me, or got sniffy or stressed. He Q'd both days in jumpers, and today's jumpers run really had me grinning. For the first time outside of practice, I really got the feeling that we were running the course together, instead of me getting him to the obstacles one at a time. He was seeing the lines and reading my cues beautifully. Just a little glimpse of all the fun we are going to have as he gets more and more experience

Meg was a raving lunatic, and I spent more time laughing at her this weekend than anything else. She adores this venue. It is really nice artificial turf, and nice ring, great equipment. She gets in there and is beside herself with glee. My nine-year old grey faced agility champion, who has not NQ'd in about a year, came out for her first run practically vibrating. That double-leg bunny run as fast as she could, growling with each stride, butt tucked under her. I actually kept her on course for about half the course before she bolted past a tunnel and over the dogwalk to the finish, where she continued on and jumped the exit gate. She got cookies and cuddles and kisses and told she was a genius, because she is Meg and there are no rules for Meg.
Yay Gusto!! What a great debut for his first AKC trial. Yay for Meg too!! What a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Kimma and I Q'd in Open JWW with a second place! I was shocked we Q'd and even MORE shocked that we placed LOL. We were SO CLOSE to getting another Q in Standard, but stupid me put in a front cross where Kimma was definitely going to fast for one, and I kind of tripped her up resulting in a refusal. Then her weaves were icky so she got another refusal. So if it weren't for me getting in her way with the jumps, we would have Q'd. Weaves are just totally a problem though and now we have a whole month to figure it out.
Congrats again! What a super weekend!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Zuma and I had a pretty good day today at the AKC trial. Jumpers run was fabulous except it was a really tight weave entrance and she didn't collect up. Everything else was fantastic! Standard was weird, I don't really know how else to explain it. She blew by the dog walk (she's a dog walk suck) and blew by a jump (she normally takes extra jumps). I've watched the video a few times but other than a slight tweak in my shoulders, don't really know what I did. Oh well, weird dog is weird. She nailed her weaves though.

So no Q's for us today. Next weekend is USDAA so that'll be nice.

Here's the jumpers run:

And standard:

Oh ya, and Zuma is on TABLE BOOTCAMP this week. GAH.

Last edited by SaraB; 04-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Top Dog

I really want to come watch you all run agility!

Robin started classes this week. So far, so good.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Aw man. They cancelled the fun run I was half-thinking of taking Payton too.

Which is probably good because I was half-thinking of taking Payton to it hahaha.

Their next fun run is in August. Maybe we'll be ready to go by then?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie and I had a great first regional prep class on Tuesday night. We were perfectly in sync and she read and trusted my cues without question. We ran a pretty tricky jumpers course and the judge who made it was there and filming our group running it for an article in clean run.

Five more weeks of prep class, two 1-day trials and then REGIONALS! Excitednervousomg.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Oh I just love Zuma... She looks really nice!!

I've been working weaves and I think they are getting better. Doing some work with a target at the end and that seems to be pretty motivating to her (more so than my throwing a bait bag/toy). I do one rep at a time, then other stuff, then come back and do another rep. Only 3 total at most. Here's a video of today at the place I teach at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100151301068489

And here's her Open JWW Q from last weekend. Not the fastest or most smooth ever, but it got the job done LOL. And gave me more things to work on!

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Top Dog

So, a question for those of you with smaller dogs (or who train with smaller dogs) - what do you do for a teeter?

Gusto's teeter has been reliable, but slower than I want (let's be honest, I want one of those crazy skidding fun teeters just because it looks cool). I wouldn't call it slow; just 'normal'. I had someone suggest changing him to a down on the teeter to see if it helps. His contacts are all 2 on/2 off now, although I accept that on the teeter he does a 4 on until it stops moving, then assumes the position. He's too light to go right into the final position without getting bounced around a bunch when the teeter rebounds. He's had a few times that he's had to basically do a handstand to pull it back down with his hind feet.

The idea, I guess, being that the rebound might be uncomfortable for him, and it may be less of an issue in a down. After our first outdoor trial yesterday, I think we've got bigger training fish to fry at the moment , but I'm putting it in the back of my mind to consider. Just looking for other thoughts.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
So, a question for those of you with smaller dogs (or who train with smaller dogs) - what do you do for a teeter?

Gusto's teeter has been reliable, but slower than I want (let's be honest, I want one of those crazy skidding fun teeters just because it looks cool). I wouldn't call it slow; just 'normal'. I had someone suggest changing him to a down on the teeter to see if it helps. His contacts are all 2 on/2 off now, although I accept that on the teeter he does a 4 on until it stops moving, then assumes the position. He's too light to go right into the final position without getting bounced around a bunch when the teeter rebounds. He's had a few times that he's had to basically do a handstand to pull it back down with his hind feet.

The idea, I guess, being that the rebound might be uncomfortable for him, and it may be less of an issue in a down. After our first outdoor trial yesterday, I think we've got bigger training fish to fry at the moment , but I'm putting it in the back of my mind to consider. Just looking for other thoughts.
Not exclusive to smaller dogs, but I've seen it work for them too -- one way people seem to get a lot of speed across the teeter is to train a really strong charging target behavior, then put the target "spot" on the end of the teeter. Not on the ground, but on the teeter itself. Then starting with a low teeter so the dog can better control the movement, they work on driving hard to that spot, progressively increasing the height.

That said I have not done this. The movement of the teeter doesn't bother Mira and she's big enough that it just slams right now with no additional acrobatics from her besides running across it. Just relaying what I've heard from people with smaller dogs and flashy teeter performances

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't know if there's anything I can do to get the teeter down faster, lol. I've just been happy when my dogs don't fly off.

*sigh* My trainer let us know we have 2 more weeks of classes then she can't teach for a month and a half. I'm going to try to drop in with another class, I think. I really don't want to take that long of a break.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I don't know if there's anything I can do to get the teeter down faster, lol. I've just been happy when my dogs don't fly off.

*sigh* My trainer let us know we have 2 more weeks of classes then she can't teach for a month and a half. I'm going to try to drop in with another class, I think. I really don't want to take that long of a break.
Haha well your dogs don't weigh much more than the sandbag test weights :P

Sorry to hear about the class break

Mira a.k.a. Lady Pantiesbottom came into season on time exactly to the day. Drat. I was really hoping for a bonus week or three or four. Means we finally got into two trials...and I have to pull from them both. Woe is me. And Mira. Very woe is Mira.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13