Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Canaan Dogs?

So there's this dog around here that i've seen at a couple trials. It is black and white and looks like a smooth coated border collie... only a little 'off'. I've always thought it was a border collie mix of some sort. Well, I was scribing today and that dog came up and I finally realized it's a Canaan dog. lol

I also realized I know absolutely nada about the breed. This dog is in starters(have only seen her run USDAA and there's only been 2 USDAA trials in the state). It seems pretty aloof compared to most herders. Is that correct?

Anyways, just a curiosity. I know nothing about the breed.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

I've never met one, nor done much research (alright, probably not much help here ). But when I have researched them, everything says they are kind of odd dogs, kind of weird, warnings about them. I don't know personally though.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Most canaans I know are from the same breeder but they're all difficult to train, aloof, and catlike. They have a very special draw though, unique dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah this dog seems like it's mostly doing it's own thing a lot of time. Kinda reminded me more of a basenji than anything, which I guess makes sense considering they're pariah type dogs.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Yes, there is a well known Canaan bitch in our area, and I suspect this is one of her pups. Breeze (the dog) was aloof, but was also friendly and pretty playful. I've always admired them from afar, because as much as I love them I know they simply wouldn't fit into our household.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Ummm well back in the day I was on a puppy list for a Canaan puppy...litter on the ground, deposit paid...then Webster fell into my life and I gave up the deposit.

But the point is I did a fair amount of research on the breed then, and since then have met quite a few of them.

I was disappointed at the time (not about Webster but rather about not getting the puppy), but looking back I consider it all as having dodged a bullet.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I was disappointed at the time (not about Webster but rather about not getting the puppy), but looking back I consider it all as having dodged a bullet.
Wow, you have certainly intrigued me. What were the ones you met like?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Never heard of them. Google showed me this:

http://cdca.org/what.html

The Canaan Dog, also known as Kelev K'naani, is a recent breed out of ancient Pariah Dog stock, and is the unique project of a pair of scientists, Drs. Rudolph and Rudolphina Menzel, dog experts and world authorities on Pariah Dogs, who loved Pariah Dogs and considered them worthy progenitors of what would become the modern Canaan Dog.
The Canaan Dog was developed from redomesticated Pariah Dog stock captured in the Palestine, where they were first used for guarding and tending cattle and sheep. The Israelis have since used the Canaan Dog for guard duties, as mine detectors during war times, as messengers, and as Red Cross helpers. The Canaan Dog possesses extremely keen senses of hearing and smell, and he can detect approaching intruders from a considerable distance, becoming instantly alert. He is an intelligent, trainable breed whose tracking ability is excellent. He shows definite talent as a stock dog and is able to compete in herding events. However, he does not perform as does a Border Collie or Kelpie with that degree of "eye". When raised with children and other pets, he becomes a devoted family companion and natural watchdog. He is aloof with strangers, inquisitive, loyal, and loving with his family. Because of the strong "denning" instinct of their recent semi-wild past, the Canaan Dog is naturally clean and easily housebroken. He does not require an excessive amount of exercise.
The medium-size, square body of the Canaan Dog is without extremes, showing a clear, sharp outline. He moves with athletic agility and grace in a quick, brisk, ground-covering trot. He has a wedge-shaped head with low-set erect ears, a bushy tail that curls over the back when excited, and a straight, harsh, flat-lying double coat.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Aussie Obssessed

I had been looking into them about two years before I got Hawkeye. I was turned off by the fact that it seemed many breeders had a part of their website devoted to talking about the "aggression" in the breed and why it's not really aggression and you just gotta learn their quirks.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Wow, you have certainly intrigued me. What were the ones you met like?
Seems like a rather large percentage of the breed that I've met is shy and fearful and reactive. Boarding on systemic fear aggression. The owners/breeders tend to describe this in Poetic Pariah Dog terms but the reality is they seem prone to shyness in normal settings and often react with an I'll-get-you-before-you-get-me display. From sixty feet away.

At the end of the day they are dogs with a particular set of behavioral quirks but the breeders have a tendency to romanticize them into oblivion.

I guess in the intervening years I've decided I wanted a dog, not a mystical unicorn. A dog described practically, in dogs terms, whose parents and grandparents were expected to do something and thereby were assessed as working companions. Not worshipped for their ability to Instantly Recognize that the owners moved the bureau and alert to it (a trait shared with any remotely observant breed).

I have no doubt they are the right breed for many people. As for me, I got a resource guarding overstimulated food aggressive reactive dog from a friend instead for the price of a bag of dog food and hijacked his trip to the city pound. Doesn't sound like a bargain, sure, but with his underlying bold people-oriented genetics, he was "fixed" in six months and a therapy dog in less than a year. Also he turned out to be Webster. Hard to regret that.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.