The Venting Thread

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
It was warm...and now it is cold again. I planted begonias from my grandfather-in-law's funeral (some folks gave live plants and I ended up with some of them) because it was warm and sunny all week and now I am afraid they are going to die in the cold snap. I covered them tonight and will try to keep doing so but I am afraid I am going to kill the flowers from the funeral and that is just...bad.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Small vent:
I took some pics I was going to share, but I need a driver for my camera and there isn't one I can download that's compatible with my new system (new computer = good news though :)). So I need to buy a card reader, but I can't until next month. Then there's delivery time because I'm ordering off Amazon.
Sorry to those waiting for Fable pics.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The reason Im thinking of putting Katie in a different school division is the new grading system. They no longer giver percentages. Instead:

Under AP-360, a student scoring between zero and 50 per cent would be at the “beginning†level. A student who received a mark between 50 and 66 per cent would be at the “developing†level, “achieving†is between 67 and 83 per cent and “excelling†from 84 to 100 per cent
http://www.brsd.ab.ca/Resources/AdministrativeProcedures/Documents/360 Student Assessment.pdf Pages 6+7 have a discription of each level.

There is so much interpertation there. Is my kid at a 68% and maybe needs a bit of help or is she at 82% and doing well??

“Our mandate in public education is no longer to sort and rank students; Who’s the best? Who’s the worst? Who’s in the middle? Our mandate is to ensure the success of every student,†said Assistant Superintendent Rick Jarrett. We need to describe, in language, what performance is supposed to look like,†Jarrett said. “The number, for example, tells (students) almost nothing without some form of language that describes their performance. So we’re moving to language.†Jarrett says teachers’ professional judgement plays a huge role in determining where a student stands. Percentages will be provided to students upon request, and when it comes time to provide report cards, it is up to the teacher’s professional judgement to provide a percentage, Jarrett explained.

To do that, teachers will use the information they’ve gathered throughout the year “and say you know what, here’s where I’m putting you, this is where I know you’re at because of the learning that you’ve demonstrated and the way that we’ve evaluated your performance,†Jarrett explained
Well no a percent isnt a judgement call, its a grade based on scores.

Teachers are also not allowed to give students zeros any more as well on assignments or tests.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Jenn, that's very weird. :confused:

And as an aside. . .in my ELP class I know the "ranking system" helped us because we were all very competitive with each other. ;)

I know kids learn differently, and pressure to be better can backfire, but it seems like schools want to coddle kids more and more in fear of hurting their self esteem, i.e. "Noooooo, we can't tell Johnny he got an
F on his science exam. He'll think he's worth less than all the other kids! Let's ignore the grades and just give everyone participation ribbons to show them everyone's a special flower."
If kids don't get pushed a bit, how are they ever going to have the drive to go to college? How about have a part time job and college? They won't have the discipline for it.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Exactly Whisper. Its not even a Provence wide thing, so what if you want to apply to collage somewhere else? It would make for a huge issue and PITA to get the right grades to show to the collage.

I mean I might be able to see it for Grades K-3 but after that I just cant see it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I wish people would stop just asking if I'm ok, and then leaving it at that. I wish people would stop acting as though I'm made of glass, and need to be left alone or else I'll break.

I wish they'd just offer to like, I don't know, take me out to lunch/out for drinks/hang out and just act... normal.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The reason Im thinking of putting Katie in a different school division is the new grading system. They no longer giver percentages. Instead:

http://www.brsd.ab.ca/Resources/AdministrativeProcedures/Documents/360 Student Assessment.pdf Pages 6+7 have a discription of each level.

There is so much interpertation there. Is my kid at a 68% and maybe needs a bit of help or is she at 82% and doing well??

Well no a percent isnt a judgement call, its a grade based on scores.

Teachers are also not allowed to give students zeros any more as well on assignments or tests.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Our smoke alarm went off at 5 am this morning. It only beeped really loud three times. Just enough to scare the crap out of me and search the house for smoke. Found nothing. Went off for no reason. Think I could go back to sleep after that? Grrr

TahlzK

My eldest brother may be moving home. Problem is, that's the one family member Serenity does want to bite. She has always had a problem with him. I can't say I blame her for not liking him. I've just never seen her dislike some one so much, she just fixates on him and always wants to have a go at him when she see's him/he speaks, at certain times.

I know she'll adjust and she'll behave in time, I'm just not looking forward to the extra hassle. I don't trust him so I'll need to change how I keep her when I'm not home. I honestly don't know if she'll ever get used to him. I guess she will.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't move back home!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Izze was like that with most people when she was younger lol like during her "teen" days, but once she matured it turned from "if you touch me I'm gonna bite you" to just general "**** you". LOL

I dont have any advice other I would type some kind of contract up & have it notorized stating that if he causes any problems, hes out ... no if's and's or but's.

Picklepaige

People who swerve to intentionally hit animals while driving are disgusting. I hope they run off the road and hit a tree while trying. Don't even care how horrible a person that makes me.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Izze was like that with most people when she was younger lol like during her "teen" days, but once she matured it turned from "if you touch me I'm gonna bite you" to just general "**** you". LOL

I dont have any advice other I would type some kind of contract up & have it notorized stating that if he causes any problems, hes out ... no if's and's or but's.
Yes, because she has that right in her PARENT'S HOUSE where her BROTHER has just as much right to he there. :rolleyes:

Saeleofu

We were told last week in my birds class that our final paper is due on the day of the final, a week from tomorrow. Today, we get an email saying it's due TOMORROW. This is not cool! Ugh. So I'll be spending all day in the jungle watching one bird. :wall:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
And the parents have given him permission, or else he wouldn't be potentially moving back...
Just because they gave them permission doesn't mean that they want him there necessarily, or that there are no conditions to him living there. The parents may feel he has just as much of a right to be there, or he may be on their last nerve and they are tolerating him being there, or they may consider him the prodigal son and be killing the fatted calf for him as we type. . You don't know the family situation any better than Dogdragoness does, she was just giving a simple suggestion.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
It was warm...and now it is cold again. I planted begonias from my grandfather-in-law's funeral (some folks gave live plants and I ended up with some of them) because it was warm and sunny all week and now I am afraid they are going to die in the cold snap. I covered them tonight and will try to keep doing so but I am afraid I am going to kill the flowers from the funeral and that is just...bad.
If they have any at garden centers right now you could look for Styrofoam rose plant covers for the begonias.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Just because they gave them permission doesn't mean that they want him there necessarily, or that there are no conditions to him living there. The parents may feel he has just as much of a right to be there, or he may be on their last nerve and they are tolerating him being there, or they may consider him the prodigal son and be killing the fatted calf for him as we type. . You don't know the family situation any better than Dogdragoness does, she was just giving a simple suggestion.
Except she was told last time she suggested it that that was not an option since it's her Parents house.

Saeleofu

This. My parents are more than happy to have myself and my younger brother living at home, and get upset when either of us talk about moving out. My older brother, though...none of us like having him here because he's a douche and doesn't contribute to the family. So he's not really welcome here.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Not really happy that I just kicked a dog hard in the face. Didn't know what else to do though.

I just took Joey out on some trails at a nearby park. Two dogs came bolting straight towards him with their owner chasing after them. I tried to block them from Joey, but the next thing I know they are on top of him and Joey is screaming bloody murder. The owner of the dogs managed to grab one off, but was struggling to get a hold of the other one and I reacted without having time to think. Kicked the dog hard in the face to get him to let go of Joey. It worked and startled the dog long enough for the owner to grab him.

Luckily Joey is ok. He has a few spots where the dog broke skin, but nothing major. He is mainly just a bit shook up.

The owner kept apologizing and wanted to know if Joey was ok, but ugh... This park does have a leash law. Joey was on leash. These dogs were not.

Earlier on out walk some kid had a long stick that he was pretending was a rifle and kept pretending to shoot us as we walked by. He then threw the stick at us and his mom did nothing. She just kept chatting on the phone.

Members online

No members online now.