Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM
& the Muttly Crew

It was warm...and now it is cold again. I planted begonias from my grandfather-in-law's funeral (some folks gave live plants and I ended up with some of them) because it was warm and sunny all week and now I am afraid they are going to die in the cold snap. I covered them tonight and will try to keep doing so but I am afraid I am going to kill the flowers from the funeral and that is just...bad.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Small vent:
I took some pics I was going to share, but I need a driver for my camera and there isn't one I can download that's compatible with my new system (new computer = good news though ). So I need to buy a card reader, but I can't until next month. Then there's delivery time because I'm ordering off Amazon.
Sorry to those waiting for Fable pics.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM
F150 and a .30-06

The reason Im thinking of putting Katie in a different school division is the new grading system. They no longer giver percentages. Instead:

Quote:
Under AP-360, a student scoring between zero and 50 per cent would be at the “beginning” level. A student who received a mark between 50 and 66 per cent would be at the “developing” level, “achieving” is between 67 and 83 per cent and “excelling” from 84 to 100 per cent
http://www.brsd.ab.ca/Resources/Admi...Assessment.pdf Pages 6+7 have a discription of each level.

There is so much interpertation there. Is my kid at a 68% and maybe needs a bit of help or is she at 82% and doing well??

Quote:
“Our mandate in public education is no longer to sort and rank students; Who’s the best? Who’s the worst? Who’s in the middle? Our mandate is to ensure the success of every student,” said Assistant Superintendent Rick Jarrett. We need to describe, in language, what performance is supposed to look like,” Jarrett said. “The number, for example, tells (students) almost nothing without some form of language that describes their performance. So we’re moving to language.” Jarrett says teachers’ professional judgement plays a huge role in determining where a student stands. Percentages will be provided to students upon request, and when it comes time to provide report cards, it is up to the teacher’s professional judgement to provide a percentage, Jarrett explained.

To do that, teachers will use the information they’ve gathered throughout the year “and say you know what, here’s where I’m putting you, this is where I know you’re at because of the learning that you’ve demonstrated and the way that we’ve evaluated your performance,” Jarrett explained
Well no a percent isnt a judgement call, its a grade based on scores.

Teachers are also not allowed to give students zeros any more as well on assignments or tests.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Jenn, that's very weird.

And as an aside. . .in my ELP class I know the "ranking system" helped us because we were all very competitive with each other.

I know kids learn differently, and pressure to be better can backfire, but it seems like schools want to coddle kids more and more in fear of hurting their self esteem, i.e. "Noooooo, we can't tell Johnny he got an
F on his science exam. He'll think he's worth less than all the other kids! Let's ignore the grades and just give everyone participation ribbons to show them everyone's a special flower."
If kids don't get pushed a bit, how are they ever going to have the drive to go to college? How about have a part time job and college? They won't have the discipline for it.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Exactly Whisper. Its not even a Provence wide thing, so what if you want to apply to collage somewhere else? It would make for a huge issue and PITA to get the right grades to show to the collage.

I mean I might be able to see it for Grades K-3 but after that I just cant see it.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I wish people would stop just asking if I'm ok, and then leaving it at that. I wish people would stop acting as though I'm made of glass, and need to be left alone or else I'll break.

I wish they'd just offer to like, I don't know, take me out to lunch/out for drinks/hang out and just act... normal.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
The reason Im thinking of putting Katie in a different school division is the new grading system. They no longer giver percentages. Instead:

http://www.brsd.ab.ca/Resources/Admi...Assessment.pdf Pages 6+7 have a discription of each level.

There is so much interpertation there. Is my kid at a 68% and maybe needs a bit of help or is she at 82% and doing well??

Well no a percent isnt a judgement call, its a grade based on scores.

Teachers are also not allowed to give students zeros any more as well on assignments or tests.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Our smoke alarm went off at 5 am this morning. It only beeped really loud three times. Just enough to scare the crap out of me and search the house for smoke. Found nothing. Went off for no reason. Think I could go back to sleep after that? Grrr

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

My eldest brother may be moving home. Problem is, that's the one family member Serenity does want to bite. She has always had a problem with him. I can't say I blame her for not liking him. I've just never seen her dislike some one so much, she just fixates on him and always wants to have a go at him when she see's him/he speaks, at certain times.

I know she'll adjust and she'll behave in time, I'm just not looking forward to the extra hassle. I don't trust him so I'll need to change how I keep her when I'm not home. I honestly don't know if she'll ever get used to him. I guess she will.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't move back home!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Izze was like that with most people when she was younger lol like during her "teen" days, but once she matured it turned from "if you touch me I'm gonna bite you" to just general "**** you". LOL

I dont have any advice other I would type some kind of contract up & have it notorized stating that if he causes any problems, hes out ... no if's and's or but's.