Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Sometimes there absolutely is, and sometimes if you can suss it out there's a solution possible even if the pet doesn't stay in that home. But some people won't open up. Sometimes it's just a matter of differing values, though. "This cat/dog is too hard, time for a new model." Sometimes the owner genuinely cares but doesn't have the emotional or financial reserves, or time, to deal with it. I'm taking care of a cat in my home right now that was signed over to our clinic and has fatty liver basically because her owners work schedules radically changed and no one noticed she was hunger striking, then didn't have time to take care of her. It happens.

I guess that turned into sort of a vent, lol.
So frustrating. I don't really get too worked up over it normally because I know it's just the way some people are. It just depends on the situation though. I feel like pooping outside the box is relatively easy to deal with, lol annoying of course, but meh it's just poop. My cat poops behind the couch sometimes. =P Maybe that's what makes it more frustrating, having a pet with the same problem and just being like wtf.... I would never euthanize him for that.

Of course there could be more to the story too. Maybe he had a wife at home that was sick of it and wanted the cat gone. I just feel like there has to be some explanation to why you would cry and seem so upset and yet... don't want to explore other options.

Quote:
We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!
Take your 12 year old dog with when you move, that would be my opinion.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Life has been sad and depressing lately in so many ways that I can't even begin to explain.

Crystal - Professional Family Sidekick as of 2009
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!
Had a family drop off their father's six year old Labrador to be euthanized when the father went into a nursing home. I know there are differing opinions, but I would honestly give a youngish purebred a chance at the shelter. If he doesn't get adopted there, at least there is still the same end result. Everyone at the clinic like it, but had no problem doing it. I was surprised no one in the clinic even thought about boarding, trying to foster or something. I was renting at the time with roommates and really couldn't take him myself (I had about two minutes to decide before they euthanized him :/). People suck.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Take your 12 year old dog with when you move, that would be my opinion.
That is my opinion too, but between euthanizing a perfect good dog and surrendering it to a shelter... surrender the dog!! We get senior dogs every now and again and they don't normally stay as long as the younger/trouble dogs.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Thought we'd be back in the clear with doubling up on meds... guess we're not.
Seizure meds can take a bit of time to take full effect. Have they discussed coupling the pheno with potassium bromide?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Seizure meds can take a bit of time to take full effect. Have they discussed coupling the pheno with potassium bromide?
She had only been on the phenobarb a week (yesterday) and are just now doubling it. The one she had tonight looked somewhat like the grand-mal from the other night, but she was able to get up and walk away from it and is now toddling around the room again, so it was much milder than the last one.

I'm going to call them when they open on Monday and see what to do next. She did mention having to perhaps try the potassium bromide with the pheno if doubling it doesn't work.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Behavior Nerd

Will they be checking her levels at any point? Once the first several weeks are past, a levels check might help them adjust as needed. Right now she's probably not even up to the full impact of the doubled dose since you JUST upped it. It's not instant by any means.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I knew it wouldn't be instant, but it went from very small seizures to grand-mals all within a week...

Vet said we'd do a levels check once she went a month with being seizure-free.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Behavior Nerd

That could be part of the "normal" seizure threshold - it tends to lower the more they have (aka kindling iirc). Once the meds kick in, the pattern should moderate.

That being said, when pheno didn't control Oreo's seizures we added in potassium bromide and it was a miraculous change - went for clusters every month to every 2-3 months! When we changed her food to a higher quality one, she had a "healing crisis" and we ended up dropping the pheno completely and she racked up looong seizure free periods (1-4 years). She would have about 6 full grand mals in 36 hours when she clustered.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
If he doesn't get adopted there, at least there is still the same end result. Everyone at the clinic like it, but had no problem doing it. I was surprised no one in the clinic even thought about boarding, trying to foster or something..
See, if the family had somewhat of a relationship with the dog but couldn't keep him, aside from rehoming him themselves I'd rather be there with the dog and have him PTS. The other option is sit him in a shelter for weeks and then allow a stranger to be holding him while he is PTS. Both option suck, don't get me wrong.

My mom has two 13 yr old dogs. If she passed away today I would probably have one of them PTS. She's dog selective and she's 13 yrs old, plus has severe separation anxiety. I'd rather know her last minutes were spent being with someone she knows than waiting to see if she would get adopted.