Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Basically, there are pros and cons to EACH generation. I honestly dont see a difference between kids when I grew up or kids now on a base level at all.
except for the fact that we are now older, we have more experience and have matured so it's easier to look at them and say "ick."
just like how when we were 13 our parents looked at us and said "ick." sometimes LOL

Technology is different, language is different, social norms, trends..
but at their root kids these days are just that...growing kids. trying to figure things out IMO

It's hard to not look at some facebook posts and go but honestly, if I had social media at 12-13, my posts would've probably been just as awful lol only difference is that my silly hormonal kid gripes weren't documented.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Henry just ripped a fart that made my eyes water.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
That is devastating. I wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.
Sometimes there absolutely is, and sometimes if you can suss it out there's a solution possible even if the pet doesn't stay in that home. But some people won't open up. Sometimes it's just a matter of differing values, though. "This cat/dog is too hard, time for a new model." Sometimes the owner genuinely cares but doesn't have the emotional or financial reserves, or time, to deal with it. I'm taking care of a cat in my home right now that was signed over to our clinic and has fatty liver basically because her owners work schedules radically changed and no one noticed she was hunger striking, then didn't have time to take care of her. It happens.

I guess that turned into sort of a vent, lol.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Henry just ripped a fart that made my eyes water.

As for the "kids these days" thing.

I think most kids these days are a lot like we were when we were that age... what I think HAS changed is parenting and discipline. When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who got in trouble at school and their parents would come flying in yelling at the teacher because their kid screwed up. No, they would discipline the kid for getting in trouble. Now if a kid gets in trouble there are A LOT of parents who fly off the handle on the teachers. Like how DARE they accuse little Jimmy of being less than perfect. if he screwed up it must be the teachers fault. That is the big difference I notice.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post

As for the "kids these days" thing.

I think most kids these days are a lot like we were when we were that age... what I think HAS changed is parenting and discipline. When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who got in trouble at school and their parents would come flying in yelling at the teacher because their kid screwed up. No, they would discipline the kid for getting in trouble. Now if a kid gets in trouble there are A LOT of parents who fly off the handle on the teachers. Like how DARE they accuse little Jimmy of being less than perfect. if he screwed up it must be the teachers fault. That is the big difference I notice.
agreed!
I have noticed a big difference even in the past 5 years

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Ahhh, but schools have greatly changed too and are seriously failing many students.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Ahhh, but schools have greatly changed too and are seriously failing many students.
well I can definitely agree on that as well. One of the big reasons we choose to homeschool.

Schools are not what they were. It's not about education so much as funding it seems. I know that's a broad sweeping statement and not all schools operate this way.

But also teachers don't have much authority anymore. if they have a troublesome student there isn't much they can do about it anymore and if they DO do something about it the blame is on the teacher instead of on the student.

but it's not just public schools. I work in a preschool and while most of our parents this year are pretty good we have definitely had our share of "perfect child syndrome" situations.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Erg husband and Finn are irritating me right now. Now off to dinner and bowling. Should be an interesting night.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I can't understand people that come in bawling about "needing" to euthanize their pet, but they don't want to try anything to fix the problem...

This guy had an appointment today to euthanize his 6 year old cat. He was not a client, his first time coming to us. We require an exam before euthanizing a pet we've never seen (unless it's an obvious decision, like a 15 year old lab that can't walk or something). We do NOT perform "convenience" euthanasias, ie, if your pet is not sick, we're not killing it. Apparently he was BAWLING when he was brought in the exam room, like totally seemed really upset about his cat. But the reason he wanted to euthanize his cat... is because he was pooping outside the litter box...

Sooo vet does an exam. Medically there is nothing wrong, this just appears to be a behavior problem. Vet asks owner if he's done options X, Y, or Z. Owner says no I don't want to do that. Vet tells him okaayyy.. well we're not euthanizing him... Owner comes back with "well I'm not taking him home."

So the cat was turned over to the clinic and now lives with us in the meantime.

My mind really just can't even comprehend why you jump to killing your pet instead of trying SOMETHING. grumble.
We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Thought we'd be back in the clear with doubling up on meds... guess we're not.