Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Default What flea/tick meds do you use?

It's just about that time of year here and I have to start thinking about fleas, ticks, and heartworms. I have been reluctant to give Tucker flea and tick stuff because he had an adverse reaction to flea stuff we gave him a couple of summers ago when he got fleas. It wasn't terrible or anything, but he went off his food for three days and became lethargic. Other than that he's never gotten the preventative. But tick diseases terrify me. So I think I might give him something this summer. I also worry about giving him something that could hurt the cats.

So, what preventatives do you use on your dogs or have you used in the past? How well did/do they work? Has your dog ever had an adverse reaction to it?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I use a flea and tick spray from Adams. It says to apply every 9 days or so, but I normally just spray it on before we go on a hike where I think there is a good chance of ticks.

I like it so far, though I haven't used it since being back in MI where the real tick threat is.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

We use K9 Advantix, but unfortunately, you're not supposed to use it around cats, I don't think. It's the only thing that works for us though. We do not use it every month though.

We do use heartworm meds every month. Heartguard Plus is what we use now and he loves it, and we've had good luck with it.

Brit & Jackson

Last edited by JacksonsMom; 04-19-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Fiproguard here (generic Frontline.) It still works in this area so far, so we're using it. Advantix seems to work fine here too for now, but I haven't used that in years - I used it because that's what our vet had, then when I switched vets they carried Frontline so I switched to that instead.

I'm also giving the dogs Trifexis for heartworm, which has Comfortis in it. But that is only because Interceptor isn't available, and as soon as Interceptor becomes available again we will be switching back to it. I really don't like giving them the Trifexis AND using the topical. Last year I was able to get ahold of just enough Interceptor to get us through the summer, and by the time I was out of Interceptor it had frozen and I didn't need the topical anymore... no such luck this year. =<

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I am currently giving them Heartguard, although I've used Trifexis (and Interceptor) in the past. Don't have an issue with any of the products.

I only apply topical flea/tick prevention if I have to. (Aka, if I find fleas/ticks on them.) I currently have Parastar and Frontline. Again, no issues with either products.

If you are purchasing from a vet, do NOT buy Vetcra 3D if you want something cat safe. It does nasty things to kitties!

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Fiproguard here (generic Frontline.) It still works in this area so far, so we're using it. Advantix seems to work fine here too for now, but I haven't used that in years - I used it because that's what our vet had, then when I switched vets they carried Frontline so I switched to that instead.

I'm also giving the dogs Trifexis for heartworm, which has Comfortis in it. But that is only because Interceptor isn't available, and as soon as Interceptor becomes available again we will be switching back to it. I really don't like giving them the Trifexis AND using the topical. Last year I was able to get ahold of just enough Interceptor to get us through
the summer, and by the time I was out of Interceptor it had frozen and I didn't need the topical anymore... no such luck this year. =<
I heard Interceptor is now being discontinued.

http://www.thevet.net/2013/04/04/216/
Quote:
Therefore, we have discontinued production of Interceptor® (milbemycin oxime) Flavor Tabs® for the U.S. market.

Sentinel is apparently back now.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
such sights to show you

I use Frontline. I haven't had any problems with it.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Resident fainting goat

k9 advantix. I do half a dose, every month during the hot months.

Frontline plus/frontline is like water to the fleas/ticks in florida and here apparently.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
k9 advantix. I do half a dose, every month during the hot months.

Frontline plus/frontline is like water to the fleas/ticks in florida and here apparently.
Here too! I swear, FL attracts the ticks here now.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

I've been using bug off garlic and liquid ivermectin for the last 3 years with no trouble yet. Haven't found a flea or tick on any of my dogs thank god.

Hopefully this is true for Recon this year as well!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm