Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
and Fozzie B!

$5/lb is a LOT for raw... maybe not for a tiny toy dog, but a dog who is 10+ lbs is going to be eating hundreds of dollars a month! When I buy raw, it's very very cheap stuff. Either in bulk or creepy things that no one buys but are great for dogs (feet, necks, tripe, organs, etc). Nothing more than $1/lb. You can supplement a premium kibble with raw and give your dogs a lot of variety, without worrying about whether or not their diet is balanced.

There are plenty of premium foods that are inexpensive. I rotate Merrick GF and Taste of the Wild. Both are just $2/lb. I spend about $50/month on food for two 50 pound dogs.

Other expenses are up to you & your ability to bargain hunt. I buy flea/tick/heartworm medication only in the summer, so I only end up spending $50 per year on that. I buy Pet Armor (which is half the cost of Frontline with the same ingredients) for x-large dogs, then split each application between my 2 dogs. I buy them about 1-2 toys a month, never spending more than $10. I make their treats using organs and meat in the dehydrator, and save a lot on chews by feeding raw bones.

I feel like the majority of spending is when you first get the dog, getting a nice collection of toys, kongs, a crate, leash and collars, etc. Vet costs vary, but I get limited vaccinations so it's not too costly.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Heh.

I could spend very little every month on the dogs if I wanted to. If I was smart and not obsessed with feeding my dogs raw/new foods every other day, my cost would be next to nothing. I could get enough free kibble to feed probably 3 large dogs a month. I choose to get fun stuff instead (cans!) and pay for raw meat. Because racecar.

As for what I actually spend on them....not telling
I am getting much better though!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 PM
orange iguanas.

I hardly spend anything on my dogs.

Food is really the biggest expense. A bag of food for Happy is like $25 and lasts her... I don't know... a month? I have to buy a bag tomorrow so I'll ask them when was the last time I bought it lol. I haven't quite figured out how much it costs me to feed Juno Sojos, but it looks like it's running me more than I want to spend so I might just put her back on kibble. She's probably $50 a month at the moment. At least.

Fluoxetine for Juno is about $3 a month. I could get it cheaper at work, but I'd rather not switch manufacturers since I know she's doing well on the stuff she's on.

I get a year's supply of Heartgard free, and since I only use it seasonally I end up having a bunch saved up. Happy's the only one on it year-round, so that's not really an expense for me.

I luck out on veterinary care. Not only do my pets pretty much never need to go in, when they do, it's either free or really cheap. Like, Lucy's dental was $30. This enables me to do things that I normally wouldn't, if I had to pay full price (pretty sure both Juno & Happy will be getting CBC/chems run this spring, just for curiosity's sake).

I rarely buy toys/treats/chews so I don't feel like I need to account for that.

So anyway. At worst I probably spend $100 a month. Can't imagine spending double or triple that, not regularly at least (obviously one vet visit alone can blow that price out of the water, but hopefully those aren't a monthly thing!).

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Heh.

I could spend very little every month on the dogs if I wanted to. If I was smart and not obsessed with feeding my dogs raw/new foods every other day, my cost would be next to nothing. I could get enough free kibble to feed probably 3 large dogs a month. I choose to get fun stuff instead (cans!) and pay for raw meat. Because racecar.

As for what I actually spend on them....not telling
I am getting much better though!
Considering I don't really spend money on treats/toys/gear like I used to... I feel like I'm also doing pretty well.

All things considered, I've really reduced the "unnecessary" spending.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Obviously you only get away with cheap because you apparently don't feed Lucy

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
$5/lb is a LOT for raw... maybe not for a tiny toy dog, but a dog who is 10+ lbs is going to be eating hundreds of dollars a month! When I buy raw, it's very very cheap stuff. Either in bulk or creepy things that no one buys but are great for dogs (feet, necks, tripe, organs, etc). Nothing more than $1/lb. You can supplement a premium kibble with raw and give your dogs a lot of variety, without worrying about whether or not their diet is balanced.
Um... to feed a 10lb dog raw at $5/lb, it would be like $30 for a month. You'd have to be feeding the dog way more than it needs to be costing hundreds of dollars a month.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Obviously you only get away with cheap because you apparently don't feed Lucy
Psh, she's not my financial responsibility. Plus, it takes her an eternity to go through a bag of food anyway lol.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

Haha, I have massive quantities of Heartgard saved up as well, and I just got two more 12-packs.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
$5/lb is a LOT for raw..
I said earlier that I made a mistake and it is $5 for 2 lbs and $9 for 4 lbs.

So I'm thinking it is worth the money.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Haha, I have massive quantities of Heartgard saved up as well, and I just got two more 12-packs.
They went cheap on us this year and we're only allowed to get 1 12-pack. Last year we got 2.
I think I should be allowed another 12 pack of Heartgard, since I'm not getting any Frontline lol.