Fresh Pet Select?

Airn

So, I was browsing at our dog products at work and found this Fresh Pet Select food. I didn't look at it, so I have no idea what the ingredients are.

This is what their website says (for Chunky Beef and Rice) Ingredients:
Beef, Chicken, Beef Liver, Eggs, Beef Broth, Carrots, Brown Rice, Peas, Rice Bran, Soy Flour, Carrageenan, Salt, Natural Flavors.

Thoughts?

(Website: http://freshpet.com/faqs/)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Their ready-to-bake cookies taste delicious. Just in case anyone was wondering. :p

It's not a food I've ever found appealing. I suppose it is like "homecooked" in a more convenient form. It's not raw, although a lot of people seem to assume that it is.

I don't think there's anything "bad" about it, but if I were going to buy chubs of food like that, I'd rather just get raw. :p One of the nearby Targets here has a large fridge of it which I thought was cool!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I fed it to Rosey for a while, in addition to her kibble, to entice her to eat.

Then I just switched to home cooked, because it was cheaper :p

ETA: I didn't feed it because it popped out to me as a good food... I fed it because it was smelly and seemed like something she would eat, a lot cheaper than other brands/raw chubs, and I was desperate.

Losech

My dogs all likes it. The Shiba did good on it wen I did a trail for Freshpet. I don't feed it because it's expensive, but I occasionally buy it as a treat.

It makes good treats for agility. I get the bag of the crumbled kind.
This, I mean I save money by buying Turkey hearts and taking the time to boiled then chop it up into tiny bits for training, but our instructor at agility classes had a bag of the crumbled Fresh pet and they work out really good.

I fed it to Rosey for a while, in addition to her kibble, to entice her to eat.

Then I just switched to home cooked, because it was cheaper :p

ETA: I didn't feed it because it popped out to me as a good food... I fed it because it was smelly and seemed like something she would eat, a lot cheaper than other brands/raw chubs, and I was desperate.
Yeah, that is one of my turn offs to these types of foods, they do make good quick and easy treats for training that are healthy, and are nice for trips/traveling Vs bringing raw, but for the price as an "everyday" thing, I prefer home cooking.

But as for this food itself, if you want to buy it, do try it, I see nothing bad with it except the typical deceptive labeling, "Chunky beef and rice" yet the second ingredient is Chicken, why do so many companies have do that!? :rolleyes:

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I use the "rolls" and cut them up for agility and nosework. They are super smelly and slimy and awesome, and I figure a lot healthier then ALL hotdogs. So, I normally do a 1/4 pound, plus 4-5 hotdogs and call it good for a class or long training session. I like that it is more food like, honestly, because that normally replaces dinner.

Saeleofu

I use it for treats on occasion. I ususlly use the cat formula "kibbles" form for treats, though, because they're tiny and stinky. Ingredients-wise, I much prefer the FreshPet Vital formulas, but the Select make better treats because the roll is more firm.

This is what I usually use if I'm going to use it for treats:

As a food topper, the Vital chubs work well. They STINK, but that's what makes them a good topper lol

Maxy24

I use the fresh pet select food as treats for Tucker ( not the rolls, the little nuggets, I think they are called roasted meals). I use it as actual food for my cats though, in a rotation with canned food. It's cheaper than canned food. Looks good to me ingredient wise, but when looking at the analysis I'm never sure if I should be comparing it to wet food or dry food and I don't know how toncalculate dry matter...so I don't know how its protein, fat, etc. Levels compare to other foods.

meepitsmeagan

Can't edit my post. I use the Fresh Pet Vital rolls, not the selects. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. Lol

DJEtzel

I use the vital as well, for training treats for agility and training classes. I enjoy showing up to the first night of classes while everyone's dog is behaving crazy and not listening to their owners, ignoring their treats, and walking over with my magic "puppy crack" to help calm them down and focus. XD

Also, you can cook it in a skillet like ground beef and add it to your stroganoff and not realize that it isn't right for about three bites... Just ask my BF. ;)

Recon approved! ;)

DSC_1880 by DJetzel, on Flickr

DSC_1878 by DJetzel, on Flickr

Airn

Well, cool. I usually avoid pet foods from Wal Mart but I guess everyone's starting to jump on the 'better food for dogs' wagon. I'll check it out, then. (For treats)

meepitsmeagan

I use the vital as well, for training treats for agility and training classes. I enjoy showing up to the first night of classes while everyone's dog is behaving crazy and not listening to their owners, ignoring their treats, and walking over with my magic "puppy crack" to help calm them down and focus. XD

Also, you can cook it in a skillet like ground beef and add it to your stroganoff and not realize that it isn't right for about three bites... Just ask my BF. ;)

Recon approved! ;)
Including Rider. Apparently Zukes just don't cut it sometimes. ;)

Members online