Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the replies!

Skittle, I also have a thing for leashes and collars, but I'll have to keep that under control!

I feel a lot more confident that my budget can handle a dog! Yippee!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Fishies!

Well, I can feed them for $35/mo although I'm trying TOTW (Ruby came with a bare patch that never grows back) and thats more like $50 for less than a month.

Vet total if they don't break themselves is like 150 so thats another $12.50/mo.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

I spend about $200 a month for four medium-large dogs. Maybe a bit more, but not always. All I purchase regularly for my dogs is food and raw bones. I guess if I add in dog classes and Flyball practices, the cost would be a lot more, but those are not essentials and I don't have to take classes/do extra-curricular type things with them if I couldn't afford it. If I was just taking into consideration one dog, I'd guess that I problably spend about $30-$50 each per month.

I do have money saved, which I could use toward emergencies if they happened, but aside from emergencies or ailments, my dogs rarely need to see a vet. So I wouldn't count that as a regular thing. And I don't have a need for a groomer either. My dogs rarely get new toys either, just because they destroy them anyway. For training treats I use cheap meats from the grocery store usually and just bake and freeze them, so that's not very costly either. Basically food and bones is all I buy. :-)

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I may be a terrible dog owner, but not counting the park pass and gas I spend going hiking, I don't spend anywhere near $100 on my dog per month.
This. Most months, I don't pay a dime for Zander's care. My vet is also super amazing + affordable, so nothing to worry about there, either in the case of an emergency or the $25 office visit fee. It was $80ish for his dental and bloodwork. A few years ago he sprained his tail and it was $50 for pain meds/anti-inflammatory and an xray.

This year I've probably spent more than I have in the last 2 years combined...just because of all the travel expenses, his kennel, etc. But normally, I really might only spend a lump sum of $100 every 4 months.

I have around a $1500 goal for FuturePup. That includes initial price, kennel and travel. The rest is waste away money for toys, collars, leashes, etc. I have everything else already, and a safe stash of cash for emergencies. Dogs go with me when I travel, so no boarding fees either.

Depends on the person, really, when you're talking about budget. Some people have more expenses than others. Grooming is a big one. Boarding is another. Vaccinations. Dentals. Oh, and if you show/trial. Definitely another big one. Totally dependent on the dog and the person.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I think paying $5.00 a pound is WAY WAY too much. I would never pay that. We have a rule. I would never buy raw meat that is over $2.00 a pound. Teagan costs us pretty much nothing to keep per month. Maybe a random visit to the vet every two years and that is about it.

We also hunt and have friend who hunt so about a year of food is free for us for her, which is awesome.

So I maybe spend about $20.00 dollars on her per month, if that. Oh any $65.00 for the groomer every 5 months give or take.

Now, when we get our Boerboel pup we will have to budget a little bit at first, well maybe not budget, but there will be expenses.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I may be a terrible dog owner, but not counting the park pass and gas I spend going hiking, I don't spend anywhere near $100 on my dog per month.
Me, too. LOL And that is for three dogs (all under 30 pounds, mind you). If I broke down the food cost I'd be spending maybe around $25 a month for all three. I only have about $250-$350 per month of cash that isn't going towards bills, and I also have to buy groceries, pay for gas, and treat myself. No way could I afford to spend hundreds on my dogs for routine care.

Total, the amount of food we go through a day is 2 cups. That, coupled with the fact we rarely give treats (they do get eggs, apples, and occasional healthy table scraps fairly regularly, though), a 40lb bag of food and a box of dog biscuits lasts us two or three months.

I groom and bathe them myself, so don't have a charge there. And they're all fairly healthy (knock on wood), so the only vet expenses I have are their wellness/vaccines, which I currently get free (and even if I didn't, wouldn't be unaffordable).

I think these dogs are cheaper than my ferrets were.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I don't count.

Our food costs roughly 70 a month for raw. We just bought a new freezer for it, was about 140 but a one off expense.

40/month for insurance.

2000 approx for a scan we have to pay as we didn't have insurance ouch.

Yeah, dogs aren't cheap.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

I live with three geriatric animals and pay for the care of a fourth (Bailey).

I spend a lot of money per month on them, and would spend even more if I didn't A) have veterinary connections still, B) work for a pet food and supply store, or C) have awesome friends who give me things for free.

Buzz is currently eating kibble that I can get for free through work monthly, so the only thing I buy him is canned and occasional raw (and chews every once in a while). His big expenses come from meds/supplements (Meloxicam, Adequan, Soloxine, Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Digestive Enzymes, Pro/prebiotics, Sardine Oil, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E, Gabapentin, Longevity) and our beloved rehab vet, Dr. Julia. Similar expenses for Bailey, except her meds are still cheaper than Buzz's!

I refuse to say how much I spend per month on the animals.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

In the horse world, they always said not to total how much they cost or you won't have them anymore.

With our current two (three?), we look at a bag every three weeks or so.. $70 a bag. Harlow gets 3 cups a day, Rider about a 1.5 except on class days.

Treats.. I spend between $25-$40.

Classes for Rider are $40-$85 every six weeks, depending on how many I take.

Other than that, Heartworm preventative for April-October, and a spray on Flea and Tick which is $18 that goes on every 9 days or so in the summer. If no vaccines are needed, I just get a HW test, which is about $40/dog. Vaccines obviously vary.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I think paying $5.00 a pound is WAY WAY too much. I would never pay that. We have a rule. I would never buy raw meat that is over $2.00 a pound.
Yeah, I made a mistake. I meant to write $5 for 2lbs or $9 for 4lbs. of premade raw.