Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I've heard of The Stuff, but I'm afraid it'll weight down his coat and make him a dirt magnet. It'd be great for the shedding process, though. His undercoat is definitely super dense, but it's still very fluffy and airy. His topcoat is very thin, but there's a ton of it. So I need moisture to prevent tangles, but not a ton of it, but still something to remove the staining and deep clean to his skin. Because in summer, lots o' bugs love making a rest stop of his ridiculously long coat. Coat complication issues, usually a multi-step process. Another reason I don't bathe him often.
I've never seen The Stuff weigh down any kind of coat, personally. It's very... mmm... lightweight and slick feeling. Every dog that comes through grooming gets hit with it. But, you do know his coat best.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
such sights to show you

I have never bathed Maisy. I've really just never had occasion to. She doesn't swim, she doesn't roll in stuff, she has a short coat and nice skin and just seems to stay clean.

In the summer, Pip gets bathed weekly to help with his allergies. Sometimes twice a week if he's swimming a lot. I use a shampoo called Douxo calm.

Squash... mostly only when he gets icky and when he's blowing his coat. Dirt tends to fall off of him, but if he's been swimming, or had diarrhea in his crate or something I will bathe him. Or if he comes in really wet and muddy I'll herd him straight from the back door to the tub. But sometimes I do just bathe him because he's so soft and shiny after a bath and I like it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Every week in the summer. Every other week in the winter. Always just let him air dry. He fits in the sink, so that's where we do it. It's easier, we have a sprayer, etc.

Chris Christensen shampoo and conditioner. LOVE it.

He also gets professionally groomed every 8-10 weeks or so.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

Not as often as I should. I spend half my life bent over a tub washing other people's dogs. I really need to hire a bather. LOL

They get baths about once a month. Sometimes more often. Like the time I puked on Bridget. Eew. Bath, RIGHT NOW, even though you had one yesterday. Obviously there are outstanding circumstances that would cause them to be bathed more often.

I use the same shampoo I use in the salon, so it depends on the dog. Doom & Bridget get Emerald Black (http://www.ryanspet.com/emerald-blac...-DBL130-1.html)

Piglet gets Absolute Purple (http://www.ryanspet.com/absolute-pur...00500-200.html)

Bobsie gets Calming Lavender (because she's so senile now she' freaks out over EVERYTHING. This helps... far more than I had expected.) (http://www.ryanspet.com/aromacare-ca...z-PPPA953.html)

And Percy gets the Chamomile shampoo... because it keeps him stinking less the longest. (http://www.ryanspet.com/aromacare-ch...z-PPPA973.html)

I'm not a nut or anything. LOL
All the longhaireds get followed up with conditioner (http://www.ryanspet.com/paw-brothers...z-PB59030.html) to keep their hair silky.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

I'm All Ears

We do a full groom usually once a month. Bath, hair on feet, brush, teeth, nails. Between then I may bathe them every other week. Now lately the park has been a mud pit for a week or so so they get rinsed off (no shampoo) after every trip. I know that my dogs may look perfectly clean but when I put them in the tub lots of red clay falls off. My dogs sleep on my bed. I want them clean.

Last edited by Laurelin; 04-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I've never seen The Stuff weigh down any kind of coat, personally. It's very... mmm... lightweight and slick feeling. Every dog that comes through grooming gets hit with it. But, you do know his coat best.
I might have to try it then.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
The Stuff is incredible. It may be one of my favorite products in the salon! And I second that - I've never seen it weigh the coat down, but you probably want to go premixed rather than buying a gallon and mixing yourself, just to be safe. Its like any other product - if it isn't mixed right, its not going to work right.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I might have to try it then.
Yeah I'd say it's worth a shot for him. It's one of the lighter but effective leave-ins that I'm personally familiar with. I like it for the ends of my hair.

If you do try, let me know how it does for him, I'm curious since it sounds like he's got a tricky coat, and I have a weird amateur interest in grooming.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Really, next to never. Magpie gets bathed if her skin acts up, but unless there is a specific reason no. Every one seems to stay pretty clean and smelling fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

I bathe every 2-3 weeks in the summer, a little less often in the winter. I'm a freak about cleanliness and don't do stinky dogs. Henry sheds quite a bit too, and bathing helps that. He doesn't like a bath at all, but generally he is very good and seems to enjoy other kinds of grooming.