Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

llamas do best in multiples as well. They don't need electric fencing. 4' is what I have mine in, and they've never tried to jump it (even my wild-type athletic one when panicked) in the 7 years I've had them. Some like to attack dogs (even innocuous dogs) but they have soft feet and are only around 300 lbs, so aren't as deadly as a donkey.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Very Food Agressive

Two llamas would be fun but I don't think they're leave for a week type animals either.

How would I go about looking for a place to lend out goats for clearing?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Taxiderpy

I found this place by googling "north carolina brush goat rental", looks like there might be a few options. I've seen people advertise locally on craigslist too.

http://www.rentagoat.com/Site/contact.html
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I found this place by googling "north carolina brush goat rental", looks like there might be a few options. I've seen people advertise locally on craigslist too.

http://www.rentagoat.com/Site/contact.html
Thanks! They're pretty local, I'll suggest them to bossman.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Not too much help but...

There's an island down on a local river here affectionately dubbed "goat island" because someone keeps a little herd of goats there. The owner says he checks on them 3-4 times per week though.

I must say, it was quite amusing to be canoeing down the river only to glance up ahead and see a little herd of goats watching us approach.

Here - I found an article on it!

http://m2.roanoke.com/mapp/story.aspx?arcID=315419

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I keep goats. Have had them for years. Goats are awesome at clearing brush. But contradictory to belief, they do not eat ANYTHING & EVERYTHING lol....

I suggest Boer goats. Or fainting goats. Both have excellent appetites and are fairly decent in size at full grown. Pygmees stay small and in the woods sometimes the smaller breeds are hunted by coyotes and such. Larger ones are as well, just not as often.

Goats are troublemakers. Get into everything. They have no worries, and I have seen MANY hurt because of their natural tendencies to do stupid things. Many of the injuries are impalements from sticks. Some have rubbed against them to scratch and accidentally impaled themselves.

The biggest ailments are foundering from unfiled hooves, pH being off from an "odd" diet causing crystals,respiratory illness and worms. Hoof filing isnt necessary as often with goats that have rocks to climb on. Ive never filed my goats, they have a house with a rough roof they climb on & that keeps them filed. pH issues, I have actually lost goats to this issue. If they eat alot of something that they arent used to, they can develop crystals in their bladder and urethra causing blockage and eventually a burst bladder. Its painful, super hard to "cure" or heal, and alot of time fatal. I had company come and the kids overloaded my goats with handfuls of corn, which they only had on a very limited basis, they ate hay regularly. My Big Billy formed the crystals. We fought them for 7 months before his bladder burst. Worming every spring and antibiotics when sick.

I LOVE my goats (= They are fun.