Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default So many ticks- what to do?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that there seem to be a LOT more ticks right now than usual? I was just outside with Bamm letting him pee. We didn't go through any tall grass whatsover... he just peed real fast and then we went inside.

I just found 4 ticks on him and 6 on me from being outside in that short of a time. RIDICULOUS! A couple were dog ticks and the rest were deer ticks.

I usually only use diatemaceous earth for flea and tick control with my dogs. The last time I used frontline I ended up with a pretty bad flea problem for one thing and my dogs lick each other as dogs tend to do so I am so cautious about what I put on them for fear of the other dogs ingesting something they shouldn't.

I'm worried that the diatemaceous earth may not end up being strong enough if they are going to be really bad this year. I'm also planning to do a LOT more hiking this year so I need to be on top of potential ticks.

Any advice on stuff I can try on the dogs that would be effective? Prefer not to use the monthly posions as I call them.... if I can avoid them. Also... any advice on what I can put on myself when we are out and about to avoid me from getting ticks as well?

I can't stop itching myself right now because ticks. I'm worried the dogs may have some more ticks on them that I can't find so I just dusted them off with D.E.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Without any good, long freezes this year, we are doomed for another bad flea and tick season unfortunately. =/

I haven't found anything to work except the monthly poisons. I do use a natural spray as well, and I think it helps, but it doesn't totally eliminate the issue. Even the Frontline doesn't keep them from picking stuff up - it just kills everything they bring back. =/ Last year the boys brought fleas back from a hike in the woods... but luckily the Frontline took care of everything and we avoided any kind of infestation. Yuck.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Bored Now.

Rose geranium oil. How close are you to my parents' house now? I left an extra bottle there.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I spray Boo's legs with a mix of garlic powder and water before we go on hikes in an area that I know to be infested. Granted, it makes her smell like an Italian dinner!

ETA - I should still mention that that's on top of the chemical flea and tick preventative that she gets - not a standalone thing.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Rose geranium oil. How close are you to my parents' house now? I left an extra bottle there.
I live not too far from my old house in Manassas. If your mom is cool with it I could definitely swing by there and pick it up sometime soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
I spray Boo's legs with a mix of garlic powder and water before we go on hikes in an area that I know to be infested. Granted, it makes her smell like an Italian dinner!
haha sounds tasty.... we gotta see you guys again sometime in the nearish future. I'm going to be planning another Chaz dog swimming get together hopefully soon now that the weather is starting to warm up. Let me know when you guys might be able to make it and I can try to plan a meetup around that.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, any 'natural' type stuff is not strong enough for ticks around here IMO.

We use K9 Advantix but only sparingly. I find that it tends to last us about 2-3 months anyway even though it's not supposed to. Frontline does nothing anymore - if anything, it seems to attract ticks whenever I've put it on him!

I'm not too worried about putting a chemical on his back once every 2 months and only for about 6 months out of the year. So that's only 3 applications approx per year. And they've always proven to be pretty safe. It's not one of my biggest concerns.

Last year, I put k9 advantix on him in June and then by the end of summer, realized I hadn't ever put anymore on! And I think I only found one tick over the whole summer. Maybe last summer was a fluke or something, but yeah, I basically will put some on him if I see more than one tick.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
haha sounds tasty.... we gotta see you guys again sometime in the nearish future. I'm going to be planning another Chaz dog swimming get together hopefully soon now that the weather is starting to warm up. Let me know when you guys might be able to make it and I can try to plan a meetup around that.
That would be fun! I won't be around NoVA until summer and then I'll probably be in and out of the area, but if any meetups happen in June (or maybe July?) I would definitely try to be there! It would be fun to maybe meet some other NoVA chazzers as well - there's so many!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Honestly, any 'natural' type stuff is not strong enough for ticks around here IMO.
RG oil is something I've had success with from DE all the way down to southern VA. If you apply a few drops to the collar, or better yet, a diluted spray, you don't see a single tick on walks where you should have been covered. I put drops on pants and sneakers and all over his harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I live not too far from my old house in Manassas. If your mom is cool with it I could definitely swing by there and pick it up sometime soon.
Gotcha! She would be. I'll talk to her about it. Do you still have her #? It's the cats' medicine cabinet. I realized I wouldn't need it in CO.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post

We use K9 Advantix but only sparingly. I find that it tends to last us about 2-3 months anyway even though it's not supposed to. Frontline does nothing anymore - if anything, it seems to attract ticks whenever I've put it on him!

I'm not too worried about putting a chemical on his back once every 2 months and only for about 6 months out of the year. So that's only 3 applications approx per year. And they've always proven to be pretty safe. It's not one of my biggest concerns.

Last year, I put k9 advantix on him in June and then by the end of summer, realized I hadn't ever put anymore on! And I think I only found one tick over the whole summer. Maybe last summer was a fluke or something, but yeah, I basically will put some on him if I see more than one tick.
ya I just worry so much about them licking each other and ingesting it which is the biggest reason I don't use any of that stuff. It was one thing when I just had Bamm... but having three dogs I do worry even though they probably would be fine. btw... off topic... you still free Friday to possibly go hiking? I still have to double check if I can come up your way Sunday for that walk you were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
That would be fun! I won't be around NoVA until summer and then I'll probably be in and out of the area, but if any meetups happen in June (or maybe July?) I would definitely try to be there! It would be fun to maybe meet some other NoVA chazzers as well - there's so many!
Awesome. We will definitely make it work. I know Caliterp teaches so she probably will have the summer free (aside from agility, etc). Jacksonsmom probably would be able to come. Sweet depending on her schedule. Redhotdobe might be a yes as well... so we could definitely get a little group together... was thinking shirlington dog park again since they seemed to really enjoy it there last time. Maybe bring a picnic and picnic somewhere afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
RG oil is something I've had success with from DE all the way down to southern VA. If you apply a few drops to the collar, or better yet, a diluted spray, you don't see a single tick on walks where you should have been covered. I put drops on pants and sneakers and all over his harness.

Gotcha! She would be. I'll talk to her about it. Do you still have her #? It's the cats' medicine cabinet. I realized I wouldn't need it in CO.
Awesome. I definitely want to try it out. I don't have her number anymore since it was in my old phone that died and wouldn't charge anymore. Could you PM her number to me and just let her know that I'll be contacting her soon? I tend to be out that way fairly often these days so I could definitely drop by and pick it up.