Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Obey the Toad.

Clinical depression (as well as other mental health issues) does need medical attention, but often the sort of self talk and reframing of thinking mentioned above is urged in addition to medication. I can't speak for anyone else, but mediation alone does not do it for me--the medication takes the edge off, the reframing of thoughts, learning boundaries, creating meaningful relationships, and self talk is a critical piece of the mental health puzzle.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Clinical depression (as well as other mental health issues) does need medical attention, but often the sort of self talk and reframing of thinking mentioned above is urged in addition to medication. I can't speak for anyone else, but mediation alone does not do it for me--the medication takes the edge off, the reframing of thoughts, learning boundaries, creating meaningful relationships, and self talk is a critical piece of the mental health puzzle.
This.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Blackout

Indeed Sally, - and Excellent post Sweet72! great advice =)

If I could change my thinking and desires to be tuned to "I WANNA LIVE I LUUURRRVVVEEE BEING ALIVE!!!" - so much would be better. The problem is right now I'm just so burnt out, fed up, tired, and disenchanted with everything that I just wanna keel over.

Hope everyone else is doing well though and starts the New Year on the right foot =)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I guess John millencamp said it really accurately when he said "life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone."

Life is sometimes exhausting ... As an ADHD person living in a non-ADHD world, it always feels as if I am pushing a huge bolder up a really steep hill.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I guess John millencamp said it really accurately when he said "life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone."

Life is sometimes exhausting ... As an ADHD person living in a non-ADHD world, it always feels as if I am pushing a huge bolder up a really steep hill.
((hugs))
Don't worry, you're not alone. I have a diagnoses of adult ADD and I often feel like I'm living in a world I don't understand. I understand dogs and feel a lot more at home with dogs than I do with people much of the time. There often seems to be this disconnect between me and the world. My friends had to learn how I am. They know now to ask if they want to hug me (touch sensitivities) and that I don't tend to express emotion well and that sometimes social cues elude me.

One thing to remember, we're all nuts.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Awesome post! On the inner dialogue front, I find spending 5 minutes thinking/speaking to myself about all the awesomeness in my life (something as insignificant as an imminent good cup of coffee or a walk with the dogs) even before getting up in the morning gets my day off to an unbelievably brilliant start. It really has an uplifting effect. I also make sure that I get up with a physical smile on my face; this also has some very real knock-on effects.

The toxic people thing? Well, I haven't spoken to a single family member in over a decade and I'm enjoying the best mental health of my life. Some folk might say it's a bit dramatic but it was necessary.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
((hugs))
Don't worry, you're not alone. I have a diagnoses of adult ADD and I often feel like I'm living in a world I don't understand. I understand dogs and feel a lot more at home with dogs than I do with people much of the time. There often seems to be this disconnect between me and the world. My friends had to learn how I am. They know now to ask if they want to hug me (touch sensitivities) and that I don't tend to express emotion well and that sometimes social cues elude me.

One thing to remember, we're all nuts.
Yeah totally! Sometimes even Internet social cues elude me :/ I'm kind of like Dr. Brennan on the show "bones" (personality wise ... I wish I was as smart S she is ) she takes a very logical analitical approach to life.

OH is always on me for not being more social & not having more friends (he doesn't could online friends ) I guess so many years of being a social outcast just "trained " me to not crave social situation / interactions I guess.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Active Pup

Nice thread that puts a smile on your face
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I do that too ... I like myself ... By that I mean I have come to terms with who I am & how I am ... The problem lies with how the WORLD & SOCIETY views me, in that aspect is what I meant by the bolder & the hill ... I try so hard to be socially gracious ... But every new/different social situation makes me feel like I am starting over with that bolder up the hill ... & sometimes I just don't feel like pushing it

Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Just wanted to say that reading this made me feel really good, as I am going through some tough learning experiences in my life right now. Thanks

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)