Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #371  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 PM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
is it in horrible bad taste to contact another breeder who is also planning a summer litter to see if I can have my name put down as a tentative "maybe" in case the litter I'm on the wait list for (I haven't paid a deposit yet as she doesn't take deposits until the pups are born) doesn't have the pup I need? Or is that considered a huge no-no?
As long as you're honest with the breeder about your intentions, I don't see a problem with that at all. The worst they can do is say no. If they go further and take the request as a personal insult, they wouldn't be a breeder I'd personally want to deal with in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Silence, peasants.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 2,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...is it in horrible bad taste to contact another breeder who is also planning a summer litter to see if I can have my name put down as a tentative "maybe" in case the litter I'm on the wait list for (I haven't paid a deposit yet as she doesn't take deposits until the pups are born) doesn't have the pup I need? Or is that considered a huge no-no?
I don't see the problem, I did it. I was on 2 tentative lists for puppies planned for summer. This was not real wait lists though, they weren't the type to have waiting lists before the dog actually getting pregnant. I ended up going with the person I thought was my 'back-up plan'. I think as long as you figure it out early and don't lead them to believe you are 100% wanting one of their puppies, it is not a big deal.
__________________


Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,304
Default

So. Now I'm torn.

Which breeder would you choose?

Breeder (A):
Pups are offered at full registration, $1200, no spay/neuter contract. Sire has GCH, RN, and JH titles. OFA Excellent hips, Normal elbows, PRA normal, CERF. Breeder states the Dam is OFA certified for hips and elbows, and tested for PRA, DM, and EIC, although I can't find proof on the OFA website. She does, however, come from healthy lines. I do believe she is at the very least CH titled, if not GCH. Dual purpose dogs.

5 year health guarantee for all genetic defects, will refund entire purchase price. Deposit is 100% refundable if a puppy isn't suitable for me. I would have 3rd pick male.

The breeder has been kind of hard to keep in touch with and hasn't given me updates as I would have liked (like when she switched sires, for example), but from my limited conversation with her seems very much a nice person.

Breeder (B):
Pups are $850, limited registration with option to move to full if health testing/titles are achieved, no spay/neuter contract. Unsure of exact sire/dam, but are OFA hips and elbows (seems like most are Good and Normal), with PRA and DM testing. Dual purpose dogs. Exact sire/dam may not be titled, but come from reputable lines (which is the reason for the price, I'm assuming).

2 year health guarantee for hips, 3 year for eyes. If any issues are found, you can have the puppy replaced/return the pup, but they don't refund you any money. Deposit is 100% refundable if a puppy isn't suitable. I would have 1st pick male.

So far, breeder seems very forth coming and helpful. Haven't had any communications issues with her as of yet.

I think I'd go with Breeder (A) if cost wasn't such a big issue, but saving $350 with be a huge help at this point in time, and I'm not sure the quality of the dogs being bred really warrant that much of a price difference.

Thoughts?
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Honestly? I'd probably go for breeder B, because communication is HUGE for me. What's the point of a good breeder if you can't get in touch with them when you have questions or problems? I'm in contact with Logan's breeder nearly daily - not always about Logan, but at least I know she still exists

Ultimately, it comes down to that parents of the pup, and more importantly the pup itself. If the right breeder has the wrong dog, what good is that?
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Silence, peasants.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 2,061
Default

Those seem like good options, breeder-wise. They both seem to care about their dogs and do a good job with them. I would *not* base your pick on the fact that one breeder has not kept you updated on a litter of puppies that is not even confirmed yet. I feel like it's my job to ask, I have no idea how many people my breeder is getting emails from and how busy her life is. The one whose wait-list I dropped off of was much better at emailing me 1st/getting back to me fastest. The breeder I am getting a puppy from is an awesome, nice person who will answer every question under the sun, but I need to contact her first. I just don't see it as a deal-breaker, the way I see it is I am not choosing pen pals lol, so as long as they do respond that's fine.

At this point, I would ask myself which prospective dog parents I like better, because that's really what you're buying, not a breeder. And just go with whichever one *feels* right to you.

__________________


Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle

Last edited by Oko; 04-16-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: CLARITY
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
HayleyMarie's Avatar
HayleyMarie HayleyMarie is offline
Like a bat outa' hell
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Beautiful British Columbia!!
Posts: 6,926
Default

Honestly, I would go with Breeder B, like Sael said communication is huge for me, and to me having support and knowing I an get in touch with my breeder is huge for the life of the dog. I want that support and friendship with the breeder. I have that relationship with my breeder and I would not change it for the world. If I need advice or have questions she is there.

If you like the Parents from Kennel B, are you are happy with them, then thats who I would go with.
__________________


Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
At this point, I would ask myself which prospective dog parents I like better, because that's really what you're buying, not a breeder.
That's not entirely true. When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you're getting a package deal that includes the breeder.



Personally, given the options, I would consider breeder A over breeder B for now. To start, I don't agree with B's so-called "health guarantee" at all, it's a very common "smoke and mirrors" guarantee used by BYBs by making it sound like you're getting a guarantee but in actuality you're getting a big fat nothing; Hips aren't even OFAd until 2 years, and then you have to send back a dog you're already attached to in order for the breeder to make good on their so-called guarantee? Which gives you what in return? As opposed to a five year guarantee (plenty of time for most issues to become apparent or test for them), purchase price is refunded, and it sounds like you get to keep your dog, so you get the dog and a good chunk of cash that you can potentially use for its vet bills, or to purchase another show/working/whatever prospect if that dog is a washout, etc. The difference in health guarantee alone would be worth the extra money to me.

I would mention to breeder A that you can't find the dogs in the database, and ask for copies of the reports. A lack of "small talk" at this stage isn't concerning to me personally, because nothing is really happening yet and they may just simply be busy (family stuff, planning their litter, dog events, etc) -- does this breeder get back to you and seem open and friendly when you have questions? How did you find out about the change in plans with the sire of the litter and did you ask the breeder any questions at that point? Are you trying to communicate only by e-mail, or are you calling?
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I buy the dog, not the breeder, but a good breeder and thus a good friend and network system is always a plus.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 AM
OwnedByBCs's Avatar
OwnedByBCs OwnedByBCs is offline
Will Creep For Sheep
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
That's not entirely true. When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you're getting a package deal that includes the breeder.



Personally, given the options, I would consider breeder A over breeder B for now. To start, I don't agree with B's so-called "health guarantee" at all, it's a very common "smoke and mirrors" guarantee used by BYBs by making it sound like you're getting a guarantee but in actuality you're getting a big fat nothing; Hips aren't even OFAd until 2 years, and then you have to send back a dog you're already attached to in order for the breeder to make good on their so-called guarantee? Which gives you what in return? As opposed to a five year guarantee (plenty of time for most issues to become apparent or test for them), purchase price is refunded, and it sounds like you get to keep your dog, so you get the dog and a good chunk of cash that you can potentially use for its vet bills, or to purchase another show/working/whatever prospect if that dog is a washout, etc. The difference in health guarantee alone would be worth the extra money to me.

I would mention to breeder A that you can't find the dogs in the database, and ask for copies of the reports. A lack of "small talk" at this stage isn't concerning to me personally, because nothing is really happening yet and they may just simply be busy (family stuff, planning their litter, dog events, etc) -- does this breeder get back to you and seem open and friendly when you have questions? How did you find out about the change in plans with the sire of the litter and did you ask the breeder any questions at that point? Are you trying to communicate only by e-mail, or are you calling?
Agreed. I really don't have much to say to my puppy buyers right now- nothing has really happened yet. Most of them have seen my contract, filled out the questionnaire and thats about all I need from them now. When (hopefully) we have pregnancy confirmed, that is when I start more regular updates, and of course when puppies are born the updates are even more frequent. At this stage, what do I say, other than "they haven't tied yet" and "her progesterone is still low, will probably be another day or two". Do they care? I doubt it, LOL.
__________________

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 AM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I buy the dog, not the breeder, but a good breeder and thus a good friend and network system is always a plus.
Me too. I'd go for A.

Eta I do not buy dogs where a guarantee depends on returning the dog. That being said, Aikon is from a good friend of mine so I made allowances in areas I normally don't because I know the breeder and the bitch and trust her.
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site