Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one bruised and scratched!

I don't know what was up with Talon today, but man he was springy! Honestly, he is not really a jumper. Some dogs are naturally springy, but Talon has never jumped on anyone without encouragment or on anything without encouragement really. He's not springy! But today, he was springy! Random jumping into me was oh so suprising lol

Funny thing, I think it hurt a LOT less with Talon jumping off me than Art! Talon weighs almost twice as much as Art, how is this even possible?

IDK, but I was kinda excited. Frisbee training has been kinda bad as it's been super windy here. I don't mind the rain, we enjoy it as no one is using the park, but the wind is impossible. >_<

Also.....this is what we are going to go to!

https://www.facebook.com/events/532236540143328/

! Yay! Should be fun We are really not expecting much honestly, and probably won't be working hard as he is still young, but I thought it would be neat to have fun and get use to the atmospher Any tips?
Very cool! You'll have to let us know how it is! Is it outdoors? Bring chairs and a canopy if you have one, as well as crates for the dogs.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Very cool! You'll have to let us know how it is! Is it outdoors? Bring chairs and a canopy if you have one, as well as crates for the dogs.
I have some chairs I can bring but no canopy, hopefully it wont rain on us, but it's washington so who knows lol

Yesterday we had a break in the wind so went to the park to practice, I think Talon did pretty good. I think I did fairly decent as well

It's really hard to hold a camera and throw the discs though lol He cought 3 out of 5 on this one, but he was averaging about 4 out of 5.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Talon looks great!!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Talon looks great!!
Thanks He was really on it yesterday!

I'm going to try to go into the comp thinking he won't catch a single one, so that if he catches any of them it will be fantastic Plus I want to see how he handles the environment.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Silence, peasants.

Any advice on teaching a dog how to track better? We've been messing around practicing a little, throwing some rollers and some frisbees from where he can see them coming, but he is just terrible at tracking anything in the air. Any ideas to teach him to look up?

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Any advice on teaching a dog how to track better? We've been messing around practicing a little, throwing some rollers and some frisbees from where he can see them coming, but he is just terrible at tracking anything in the air. Any ideas to teach him to look up?
Does he like any other toys? Like a ball or squeky or something?

What really helped Talon was looking for the ball. We'd throw it up just enough so he had to look up but he could see it and then when he got that we started throwing it much higher. He started learning to look up when he didn't see it just looking around. I think that really helped him. We really didn't do it on purpose, but when my boyfriend was playing fetch with him he started doing that and now Talon looks up for the frisbee when he can't see where it is with just looking around.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 AM
The Monster.

I brought my camera and my discs out to the park yesterday and took a bit of film.

I edited out lots of our misses and downtime, but you get the idea. I'm really happy at how far Cohen and I have progressed in a week or two, and I imagine we'll continue to improve. We're still super new to this.

You can see some of the issues I'm having with Cohen dropping the disc and flipping it over to carry it back, but I imagine that will fade as she and I improve. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting a quick drop on her run back, but again with practice I think we'll be fine.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
You can see some of the issues I'm having with Cohen dropping the disc and flipping it over to carry it back, but I imagine that will fade as she and I improve. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting a quick drop on her run back, but again with practice I think we'll be fine.
NICE flips!! Love those Aussie springs.

You are on the right track with everything, the oppositional feeding to get the drop on cue (call the drop, mark it and reward with another throw off of the dog's line). I can't have the sound on with the video because I'm at work, but are you verbally marking the drop after you call it? That should help Cohen put two and two together.

I *think* the issue with dropping the disc and flipping it over will decrease as her drive increases for the game. You can try making it more fun and fast paced to see if that helps by running away from her and making her catch you with the disc in her mouth.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
NICE flips!! Love those Aussie springs.

You are on the right track with everything, the oppositional feeding to get the drop on cue (call the drop, mark it and reward with another throw off of the dog's line). I can't have the sound on with the video because I'm at work, but are you verbally marking the drop after you call it? That should help Cohen put two and two together.

I *think* the issue with dropping the disc and flipping it over will decrease as her drive increases for the game. You can try making it more fun and fast paced to see if that helps by running away from her and making her catch you with the disc in her mouth.
Thanks! I think as we progress Cohen will have some nice flips -- I've seen a marked improvement in them just over the last week.

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I'll use more chasing games to encourage a speedier return and not flipping over the disc. I know I could be clearer marking the disc drop (I brought a clicker to the park, but left it in my bag because handling it and everything else felt ungainly). I think we'll continue to improve as Cohen's desire to catch and hold increases, and my throws get more reliable. I'll have to start looking up more how-tos to incorporate a few more tricks into our repertoire.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Thanks! I think as we progress Cohen will have some nice flips -- I've seen a marked improvement in them just over the last week.

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I'll use more chasing games to encourage a speedier return and not flipping over the disc. I know I could be clearer marking the disc drop (I brought a clicker to the park, but left it in my bag because handling it and everything else felt ungainly). I think we'll continue to improve as Cohen's desire to catch and hold increases, and my throws get more reliable. I'll have to start looking up more how-tos to incorporate a few more tricks into our repertoire.
I just use a verbal marker, "yes", instead of a clicker. Otherwise, you're right, it gets to be too much!