Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Grain free is getting more and more common. I found a grain-free food at Walmart of all places the other day! It was called Natural Life or something like that. I did a double take when I walked by.

Also, Ol' Roy has a new line called Pure Balance that is actually somewhat sort of decent. Nothing I'd feed, but if it's between that and Beneful or Kibbles n Bits or something, by all means choose the Pure Balance! They don't appear to have a grain-free formula yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one soon.

What does this mean? Maybe people are starting to wake up!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Yeah, I agree... I think no matter what you will always have a range of lower end and higher end foods. There are food companies out there who will never let their foods be sold at Wal-Mart so there is a niche there that will be filled one way or another. The ingredient list on this isn't impressive by any means but it could certainly be worse.

Also, contaminated grains tends to be the worst offender when it comes to aflatoxins, so if the companies who will fill the lower end niches are going to have questionable sources for their ingredients, better to remove the ingredients that historically seem to have done the most damage. (Of course meat fed contaminated grains can also carry high levels of aflatoxins...)

I wouldn't feed it, and I think that price tag is silly, but if there's somebody out there who switches their dog onto a slightly better food because "grain free" is an increasing trend these days, I don't really have problems with that!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Lord Cynical

Hate to say it, but the one kibble my dogs did the best on was... Pro Plan.

Of course, we feed raw now so it's kind of a moot point, but still. Friggin' Pro Plan, folks.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm just not "into" grain free foods in general. Unless I suspect there is a grain intolerance going on... I'm much more likely to stick with grain-inclusive.

Juno was sent home from her breeder on Pro Plan, her breeder seemed to almost feel bad about it because she was nutrition savvy, but she said this was the only food that ALL her dogs did well on (while still being cost effective).

Also, I think a lot of "average people" have a different viewpoint of what "doing well" means. I see lots of dogs with dry, dandruffy coats. Mushy poop, and lots of it. These owners don't question the food, they think they don't need to try "higher quality" because their dog is doing well on what it's on. And just.... no. A lot of people just don't know what "good" should really look like.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I think its a good idea. While I feel there are much better food out there some people just cant afford it. I fed Solid Gold BATM. $80 per bag. Feeding one small and one large breed. Now I cant imagine feeding 4+ dogs that. I dont think I could have afforded it.

I think its a great thing for those who want to do well by their pets but cant afford the "best". Around here Innova, Taste Of The Wild, ect.. are all around the $70-$80 price range.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

I think it means everyone's going in for a piece of that pie, er, market share.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't feed it, it's an upgrade for many many people's dogs though, maybe some will switch.

As for pro-plan that's what started my Shiba, Ruffians allergies flair up. She had no hair on her ear tips, had chewed the fur off her ribs, tail and inner thighs, after testing for mites, mange and a few other things the vet was stumped. A lady at a pet supply store recommended Solid Gold, haven't looked back at purina again.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Sport Model Pug

Regular proplan is $70-80 a bag at my store for I think 35lbs, I can't see how this will save anyone money especially when they have to feed more of it too.

All these companies are just jumping on the grain free train for money, they don't care or believe in it. The scidie rep flat out told us theirs was to hook the "brainwashed" folks back in as they really don't know what their pets need.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Very interesting discussion indeed. And I would like to say first off, I know where you are coming from who say they know of many dogs that this is all they ever did good on, my childhood companion lived her entire life on Pedigree because she outright refused to touch anything else.

However, as the quote below says, it's not always about what you're seeing, and in the end my beloved Maddy suffered terribly from a build up on her skin of a slightly chalky ash colored grease, it was beyond NASTY! And, at around 14 started to loose her mind, by the time she passed at 16 1/2 she had the brain function of a 1 month old puppy left, it was the most traumatic thing I've ever had to watch, on top of the severe osteoarthritis that finally took her ability to even get around. She was 16 1/2. How much of that was the food, Vs vaccines and or the fact she was spayed around 7 months old? We'll probably never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
When it comes to food, its not always something you can see on the outside. Everyone knows of a person who smoked and drank everyday and lived to be over 100 and was in great shape, or a person who eats fast food everyday and seems very healthy etc. IMO these people are just lucky that their genetics are naturally that good...their nature is so healthy that the nurture part is not as important. Where you can really tell the difference is when you get a dog (or a person ) whos nature is poor healthwise..thats when the food makes the biggest difference.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
It's creepy that so much of the protein is coming from peas and canola. Bleargh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Not something I'd be interested in feeding, even on paper it doesn't look like anything special and then on top of that, I'm not exactly a fan of Purina as a company. And then you get to the price.... $50 for 24lbs???! Yeah, there is definitely better food out there.
The point I was hinting at, for the ingredients list I'm looking at, you want me to pay HOW MUCH?! At that point, I would rather buy TotW or 4Health made by Diamond. I mean, I guess for people who probably wouldn't change brands no matter what, okay, but when I can get a food that's better, grain inclusive or not, for the same price or less, think about it.

Oh! And I also looked at the new Ol'Roy Pure Balance, I think it's a wonderful addition to Walmart and for the many people who either don't or can't shop elsewhere, but I'll be honest, I priced it out and have been paying less for the Fromm Gold I've been buying, it's a bit of a drive to the place I buy it from but to me it's worth it (especially since I trust the Fromm company far more than I would any of these other ones we've been talking about, to me that is actually a huge factor in buying products).