Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Default Pro plan has a grain free formula?

When did that happen? I was at Petco a few weeks ago and saw a bag of it in the sale area. Needless to say the ingredients panel is beyond a joke, but for curiosity sake, lets discuss it shall we? Well, not sure if it's been discussed before or not because Chaz's search function isn't currently functioning (what's new?). So, ingredients:

Quote:
http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/...-free-formula/
Chicken, canola meal, cassava root flour, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea starch, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), dried egg product, pea fiber, dried beet pulp, pea protein, natural flavor, fish oil, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, manganese proteinate, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), copper proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
Well, I know what I'm thinking . Oh, and don't forget to click on the link and read the reviews for it, wow.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

I have to say- if it wasn't for the animal fat, I'd give it a try. Our last Lab did great on Pro Plan. Putting on my flame retardent suit now.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Taxiderpy

It's creepy that so much of the protein is coming from peas and canola. Bleargh.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
I have to say- if it wasn't for the animal fat, I'd give it a try. Our last Lab did great on Pro Plan. Putting on my flame retardent suit now.
I feed all of my dogs ProPlan. They like the taste, they do well on it and it's cost effective for us.

my delicate little flower

Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Resident fainting goat

As for grain free foods, there are too many brands I like better to ever try proplan

but I will say, for a family dog a few others with IMPOSSIBLE allergies.. the proplan sensitive skin & stomach worked wonders. Great coats, healthy stool, healthy dogs and good for the budget. Feed what works for your dog. No flame retardant suit necessary.

I also know quite a few show breeders (especially golden retrievers for some reason) who swear by it and their dogs look AWESOME
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

When it comes to food, its not always something you can see on the outside. Everyone knows of a person who smoked and drank everyday and lived to be over 100 and was in great shape, or a person who eats fast food everyday and seems very healthy etc. IMO these people are just lucky that their genetics are naturally that good...their nature is so healthy that the nurture part is not as important. Where you can really tell the difference is when you get a dog (or a person ) whos nature is poor healthwise..thats when the food makes the biggest difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM
orange iguanas.

Not something I'd be interested in feeding, even on paper it doesn't look like anything special and then on top of that, I'm not exactly a fan of Purina as a company. And then you get to the price.... $50 for 24lbs???! Yeah, there is definitely better food out there.

Quote:
When it comes to food, its not always something you can see on the outside. Everyone knows of a person who smoked and drank everyday and lived to be over 100 and was in great shape, or a person who eats fast food everyday and seems very healthy etc. IMO these people are just lucky that their genetics are naturally that good...their nature is so healthy that the nurture part is not as important. Where you can really tell the difference is when you get a dog (or a person ) whos nature is poor healthwise..thats when the food makes the biggest difference.
And this.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
...I also know quite a few show breeders (especially golden retrievers for some reason) who swear by it and their dogs look AWESOME
I know of a lot of Lab breeders who feed Pro Plan, too.

I fell for the "Purina is junk" line and tried Mick on better foods. Over the course of 3 years we tried Natural Balance, Nature's Variety and Canidae. All with the same results- his ear infections and/or hot spots came back. I finally said enough and put him back on Pro Plan. Didn't deal with ear infections or hotspots again. It was after that that I "hooked up" with Lab breeders who feed PP.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
As for grain free foods, there are too many brands I like better to ever try proplan

but I will say, for a family dog a few others with IMPOSSIBLE allergies.. the proplan sensitive skin & stomach worked wonders. Great coats, healthy stool, healthy dogs and good for the budget. Feed what works for your dog. No flame retardant suit necessary.

I also know quite a few show breeders (especially golden retrievers for some reason) who swear by it and their dogs look AWESOME
This.

Different things work for different dogs. The "best" foods are worthless to me if my dogs do poorly on them.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Active Pup

So glad yall are talking this point.

I have fed Diamond naturals lamb and rice for years. Recently, I thought of switching to grain free and have been doing research.

Tractor Supply has 4-health which we are considering and Diamond just added a grain free kibble.

Regarding the grains, it's just true that we've never seen a wild coyote out grazing in a grain field, unless he has a tummy upset, then it's grass.
They want protein.

I'm wanting as clean and healthy a product without breaking the bank, which can be hard to do with 2 dogs.

And the RECALLS....Lordy, don't even get me started!