Spanish Mastiffs

El Alano

Got talking to a guy last night in the next village who told me he keeps light, athletic Spanish Mastiffs (ligeros) that are used for guarding and large-game hunting, weighing in at around 40 kgs.The only Mastines I've seen have been huge, cuddly things, not very guardy to be honest, and I was wondering whether any of you guys had any knowledge of this lighter, working type? I've been invited over to check them out and I'm hoping to get across within a week or two so will report back.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have always loved that breed. I have met a very small number but they fascinate me. They appeared to be more athletic and driven than English mastiffs but they were droolier, hairier, and a lot more to handle. I may have a few old photos of the ones I have met, I will look.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My only experience with the breed was speaking with a few owners/breeders and stalking this breeders webpage:
http://www.fallcreekfarm.net/

I don't remember how I stumbled across the breed, but I'm really fascinated by them and would love to have one at some point down the line.

(She now has a black stud. I need to live in a non-rental setting NOW so I can haz a black puppy. And Mike needs to not be allergic to dog drool. *sigh*)

Never heard of any used for large game hunting...but who knows!

Pops2

I am acquainted with a breeder in NV that breeds them for use as working LGDs. She is a participant in a trial program funded by the USDA to put them with range cattle in wolf country in ID & MT.
She also breeds working Kangals & has them in the same program.

El Alano

Interesting stuff everyone. Will get some photos and info of this line as soon as I head across to see 'em!

Members online

No members online now.