Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,920
Default Girly Stuff

And not about PMS!

Lately I've been feeling girly and with my hair growing out, keeping it back more I've been experimenting with different braids, makeup, skin care routines and things so I thought it might be fun to have a thread with different people's tricks, favorites, tips, blogs, suggestions and things like that.

So, make this thread me not talking to myself! Share!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,920
Default

For the past month I've taken up washing my face with oil at night (castor oil and avocado and/or extra virgin olive oil) and using coconut oil as a lotion in the morning and at night and oh my god has it made my skin so much nicer.

I have naturally very oily skin that likes to break out often and since starting this it's just so less oily, no breakouts, any black heads are pretty much gone and my face just feels nice and stays that way all day. It was a noticeable difference that even my sister who believes nothing I say is going to try it for her oily skin.

As far as hair goes I bought a dozen of these a few weeks ago and remembered why I loved them so in gradeschool



And I recently did this simple braid on my hair and really liked it.

http://pinterest.com/pin/54887689181116074/

What I'm looking for now though is a good mascara that isn't terrible for your eyelashes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,304
Default

Huh, that braid is really interesting! I wear my hair up in a ponytail all of the time at work, so that would be a neat way to do it. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but is the bottom half essentially a french braid?

I will be eagerly watching this thread for hair tips...ever since now, I have worn my hair two ways: up, or down. LOL I either throw it up in a ponytail, do a half up/half down dealio, or just flat iron it and leave it down.

I've now added French braids to my list, but I am just HORRIBLE with styling my hair. Absolutely horrible. I can't even make a proper sloppy bun.

So...I want to see tons of hair styling tips, people!
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,849
Default

I have the same hair problem! lol

Here's a link of a ton of hair things to try. I've tried some of them
http://beauty-tutorial.blogspot.ca/s...ir%20tutorials
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Kootenay's Avatar
Kootenay Kootenay is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
For the past month I've taken up washing my face with oil at night (castor oil and avocado and/or extra virgin olive oil) and using coconut oil as a lotion in the morning and at night and oh my god has it made my skin so much nicer.
Ok maybe this is a dumb question...but...how do you wash your face with oil?

And, I LOVE coconut oil for everything! It even works as sunscreen! I used it all last summer and it was amazing. It just has to have time to properly absorb. Not a super high SPF but it definitely stopped me from burning, even the first few times out in the sun. I eventually started not letting it absorb and using it more as a tanning oil (BAD)...

And I use it in my super-dry hair. Not to mention cook with it. Best stuff ever!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,598
Default

Kootenay, google "oil cleansing method". It works REALLY well.

I used to use it, and my skin looked great, but I don't generally have many skin issues so I pretty much just wash it with water and use bar soap if it get really dirty for some reason. I've never used any other products and never had breakouts.

I just started using African Black Soap on my hair (and everywhere else) and OH MY GOD so soft and shiny and glorious. The only issue is it doesn't seem to be staying in elastics as well because it's SOooooo soft, but I think if I get the grippy kind it will be better.

I do a few different things with hair, but mainly, it's either up in a bun or down. It gets tangled super easily, so it's been up all winter. Bangs make it look a little more "finished" or formal even when it's just thrown back. But I also do french braids, fishtail braids, rope braids, braid pieces before pulling it back, etc. all of which I find on pinterest.

Those sock bun waves or curling it around a soft fabric headband or bantu curls work really well, too.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Silence, peasants.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 2,061
Default

I feel like I'm so boring with my hair. I play sports a good part of the day, so I never do anything fancy. I almost never wear it down, it's so and long & I don't want to bother straightening it. It's always either in a ponytail/braided, or like this:

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ioned-pony.jpg

But hair elastics in the ponytail too.

So, if anyone has any cute hairstyles that are functional, let me know, lol.
I'm also considering chopping it all off or getting bangs, I'm just getting bored of it.
At one point it was down to my waist (last year!), and that was like an elderly lady magnet, they'd grab my hair from behind and yank and be like 'sooo beautiful', I'd be like 'ok but you just scared the hell out of me!!'.
__________________


Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Huh, that braid is really interesting! I wear my hair up in a ponytail all of the time at work, so that would be a neat way to do it. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but is the bottom half essentially a french braid?

I will be eagerly watching this thread for hair tips...ever since now, I have worn my hair two ways: up, or down. LOL I either throw it up in a ponytail, do a half up/half down dealio, or just flat iron it and leave it down.

I've now added French braids to my list, but I am just HORRIBLE with styling my hair. Absolutely horrible. I can't even make a proper sloppy bun.

So...I want to see tons of hair styling tips, people!
Yes it's french braided! I did it on my sister too yesterday and it worked really well. It's especially nice since I'm growing my hair out and it's just in the last month or so long enough to really have in a pony tail but it still has fly aways at the bottom. So this keeps them all in.

I do a lot of things with french braids like braiding the front of my hair in a french braid to get all the bangs in or doing a twist.

I also like headbands or bandanas to add some fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Ok maybe this is a dumb question...but...how do you wash your face with oil?

And, I LOVE coconut oil for everything! It even works as sunscreen! I used it all last summer and it was amazing. It just has to have time to properly absorb. Not a super high SPF but it definitely stopped me from burning, even the first few times out in the sun. I eventually started not letting it absorb and using it more as a tanning oil (BAD)...

And I use it in my super-dry hair. Not to mention cook with it. Best stuff ever!
http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

And it works soooo well! I'm seriously smitten.

I normally wouldn't go out of the house unless it was exercise without at least foundation on and now I don't feel like I need it. My complexion is so much better, all black heads gone and color is evening out nicely.

And I'm also falling in love with coconut oil. I didn't even like the smell at first and now it's growing on me.

When you cook with it though does it still taste like coconut? I don't like coconut and that's what has stopped me from cooking with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I have the same hair problem! lol

Here's a link of a ton of hair things to try. I've tried some of them
http://beauty-tutorial.blogspot.ca/s...ir%20tutorials
Ooooh cool! Looking through that now!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 PM
AgilityPup's Avatar
AgilityPup AgilityPup is offline
Agility freak!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 5,224
Default

Aha! A place for me to ask this question... Anyone know any home remedies for dry skin when shaving? My skin is crazy sensitive and I get razor burn really bad, even when using the "for sensitive skin" shaving cream. Was wondering if someone knows a fairly inexpensive alternative that might actually work?
__________________

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Aha! A place for me to ask this question... Anyone know any home remedies for dry skin when shaving? My skin is crazy sensitive and I get razor burn really bad, even when using the "for sensitive skin" shaving cream. Was wondering if someone knows a fairly inexpensive alternative that might actually work?
Coconut oil!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site