Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Active Pup

Default How effective are electric remote dog training collars?

Hi,
How effective are these electric remote dog training collars. Also I’m finding that there is a very large price difference between the UK available products and the products available direct from Chine. Where would be the best place to purchase it from. I have an 8 month old very lovable but naughty Weimaraner. “Casper”. The kids and I have sought of given him to much of a good thing and now he is getting out of hand Eg when asked to get off the sofa, he likes to show his pearly white teeth.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM
BusterLove

While I have nothing against RT's when used properly, this doesn't sound like a scenario where one would be helpful or appropriate.

Work on your NILIF and installing and maintaining rules and boundaries while you contact a good behaviourist for a consult and assistance.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithch View Post
Hi,
How effective are these electric remote dog training collars. Also I’m finding that there is a very large price difference between the UK available products and the products available direct from Chine. Where would be the best place to purchase it from. I have an 8 month old very lovable but naughty Weimaraner. “Casper”. The kids and I have sought of given him to much of a good thing and now he is getting out of hand Eg when asked to get off the sofa, he likes to show his pearly white teeth.
They are NOT popular in the uk at all, and are banned in Wales. I'm assuming you're in the uk. If you choose to buy one, you won't get a lot of positive feedback from other dog owners.

What you need to do is some basic training. What training has he had? What is stopping you finding a trainer near by?

An electric collar is not going to train him. YOU have to do that.

Eta, your other post says you're in San Francisco... Why are you looking at uk products?

Regardless of where you are, my other point still stands.

Please don't buy an ecollar!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Top Dog

Using one for aggression would be a very dangerous idea, the last thing you want is for the pain from a shock to make him go from showing his pearly whites to sinking them into someone's skin.

Teaching a reliable off command in a positive manner is usually not difficult, make sure he gets rewarded for following the command, the frequency of rewards can decrease once he's good at following the command, but I would not stop rewarding altogether. I agree a NILIF program would be helpful in teaching him to follow everyone's commands.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Definitely not the right scenario for an ecollar.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Zapping your dog when it shows teeth is a good way to get you and your kids bitten.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

I'm going to say that getting this book and following everything in it as closely as possible will not only be much cheaper but much more appropriate and effective. http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dta228

Also this is an excellent, free resource for teaching dogs not to resource guard (which is what your dog is doing). You can start today and work your way through the program. While it talks about food guarding, the same training can work for guarding resting areas as well:

PDF link: 4pawsu.com/Donaldson.pdf

Quickview link: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...oIT9JtLRqjiS2Q

I agree with others that using an e-collar for this is a very bad idea. Using an e-collar when you don't have any knowledge of application or methods involved with them is a bad idea anyway but doing so for aggression is even worse. Ecollars are powerful tools and while many feel they do have their place in training, they also have a lot of potential to seriously mess your dog up behaviorally speaking. Another issue with them is, even if you get one and are successful with teaching your dog what you want using it...the dog knows when the collar isn't on they can't be corrected.