Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
The Monster.

As I've mentioned a few times in this thread, I've had ongoing weave issues with Cohen recently. If you'd told me that I'd have any issues with the obstacle a year ago I wouldn't have believed you - Cohen was fast and reliable 100% of the time. We took a break from agility, only doing some performance shows where Cohen needed to weave only 6 poles, and in the middle of a performance you can't really do much about it if your dog flubs part of the course.

Now that I'm taking lessons again, I've been repeatedly seeing Cohen pop out at the 10th pole, especially if there's a jump or tunnel looming ahead. It seems to be a muscle memory thing, tied to high levels of excitement.

Anyways, last night Cohen didn't pop out of the weaves once! And I was really pushing her. I took to rewarding right after the obstacle instead of pushing forward like I normally do. It gives me confidence for the trial I'm signed up for this Sunday.

What doesn't give me confidence is that Cohen is dropping bars constantly. Someone remarked last night that she had a lazy back end and was constantly knocking bars with her rear toes. So we have another project to tackle once we get her weaves reliable again. One thing at a time...

I'm just going to take the courses smoothly and carefully this weekend, and will try to run just for the love of running instead of worrying about Qs and see how we do. It's been a long time since I've trialed.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Some baby dog teeter work with Zinga!! We are working on building drive and speed on the teeter. I had her on the rubber coated ones at work yesterday and I have to say, she's much quick on those ones. I'll have to get a video next time we work. Anyways, this is from last week, I've seen a ton of improvement since then, she gets nice and low now, isn't so springy and much more driven.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
What doesn't give me confidence is that Cohen is dropping bars constantly. Someone remarked last night that she had a lazy back end and was constantly knocking bars with her rear toes. So we have another project to tackle once we get her weaves reliable again. One thing at a time...

I'm just going to take the courses smoothly and carefully this weekend, and will try to run just for the love of running instead of worrying about Qs and see how we do. It's been a long time since I've trialed.
If it's not one thing, it's another!! Glad to hear you have your weaves figured out, or are at least on the right track.

Good luck this weekend, keep us updated.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't have a name for weaves yet. Should I name them? It's not really 100% the performance I want yet...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Today was one of those days where nothing went our way. Urghldakljreoihfend

Hopefully tomorrow goes better. I freaking need a back yard so I can practice more often.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

I don't have a name for weaves yet. Should I name them? It's not really 100% the performance I want yet...
Looks great!

I would name it. The behavior is there, you just want to add drive now.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

That's really nice! I agree with Sara about naming them now.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer had 2 full weeks off of any training. I wanted to wait till I got her vet workup and got the ok for it. Well, she was back with a vengeance today! Girl was CRAZY. lol And she did fabulous with the heat.

It was 83 according to my car while we were practicing. It's WAY too early in the year for this!

Mia was... odd. Yesterday she was really off and today she started the same way. But about halfway through she clicked finally. I don't know if it is the heat or what but she was just not in drive at all. Very odd for her. But she turned it on for the second half of class just fine. Left me puzzled.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Recon did pretty awesome on some serpentines and 2o2o work after my agility classes yesterday, so I took him out to the park today to work on 2o2o more with teeter work and weaves. He is doing so awesome. He has chained 6 weaves now and is no longer scared shitless of the teeter and will move over it pretty confidently! Yay!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
If it's not one thing, it's another!! Glad to hear you have your weaves figured out, or are at least on the right track.

Good luck this weekend, keep us updated.
If it's not one thing it's another! We had a lot of fun this weekend, and I was thrilled to get out again. Basic rundown was that we went 0 for 4, which is a shame. But I'm very pleased with most of our runs.

First run was gamblers, and we missed the final gamble because Cohen didn't stick her a-frame landing and as a result I couldn't push her out over the correct jump. No biggie - wish I would have thought to give her an extra cue to hold it. Otherwise she was fast and happy, got the minis no problem, etc.

Second run was standard, and it was a really nice course. Cohen popped out once at the 10th bar of the weaves - unsurprising - but otherwise ran really nicely. Our NQ came from a refusal at the bottom of the a-frame where Cohen must have spun when I called her away from the mouth of the tunnel which sat a foot away from the correct obstacle.

Third run (standard) started to get messy. Again we had a bit of trouble with the weaves and had to send her back through again. We knocked a bar where I thought we'd knock a bar - on a tight corner with a couple of off-course options.

Last run was just messy. It was a jumpers. Cohen was tired and was knocking bars, was a bit too high and was just making up her own course as she went along.

Oh, and she's decided she no longer has a start line stay. Back to impulse control games for us!

Lots of fun getting out this weekend, and I'm hoping I can get out to another soon.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog