Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Both my dogs do that for ALL SORTS of smells. Sniff sniff, lick lick, chatter chatter, drool
Ugh, I hate it so much lol. It's disgusting. He used to obsessively follow both of my girls around to do that to them, or wherever they sat, and that's basically all he thought about in the yard too. Almost as bad as marking since he totally was lost in his own little world.

Anyway, sorry about all of my unhelpful posts Meagan.
Easily distracted today apparently!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Hawkeye marks outside constantly unless he's working. But inside ANY buildings he knows is of limits to pee, and he generalizes fully even to new buildings and even in new building where other dogs have peed. It wasn't always like that however, when he was 1.5 years old he lifted his leg on a chair at a friend's house(this friend has two poorly potty trained dogs that sometimes pee in her house). He and I had a "come to Jesus" meeting about that and it's now been three whole years without an incident. However go outside and give him a tree, or a bush, blade of grass, car, building, pole, house, ect, and he'll make sure to lift his leg on it even after nothing is coming out.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

You are all fine guys! I've heard that with male puppies that us dog crazy folks raise, it is not nearly as much of an issue.. but with him being a rescue, I don't know how long he has done it.

I will try your advice Sael. I don't think he needs an e-collar or anything, as he is quite soft. Honestly, he would probably stop if I told him I was disappointed.

The main thing I don't understand is why he was marking when we were doing Nosework outside. HE KNOWS HE IS WORKING. Not marking time. Any specific tips for this? We've had some drive issues with him (perfectionist, gets frustrated if he can't find it RIGHT NAO), so I don't really want to "correct" him for marking while he is searching, but I also don't want him being a jerk about it either.. :shrugs: But, in the house and in stores, I will definitely make a point to be consistent and not let it happen.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

When he's working you can use marking as a reward. I did a bit of that with Logan, too, and it worked really well.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
When he's working you can use marking as a reward. I did a bit of that with Logan, too, and it worked really well.
lol actually I do that with Hawk too! After a successful search during training I let him off the line and tell him "go pee"
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
lol actually I do that with Hawk too! After a successful search during training I let him off the line and tell him "go pee"
That's actually a really good idea! Would you still let them go before you search? How would you approach it if they slipped up while searching?

It's a lot like the "go sniff" if you walk on a loose lead for so long, I would imagine.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
That's actually a really good idea! Would you still let them go before you search? How would you approach it if they slipped up while searching?

It's a lot like the "go sniff" if you walk on a loose lead for so long, I would imagine.
Let him pee before you start, but don't let him mark like crazy before hand. Just one chance to pee. Start small and reward him with peeing after short periods and build it up. Set him up to succeed!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
The main thing I don't understand is why he was marking when we were doing Nosework outside. HE KNOWS HE IS WORKING. Not marking time. Any specific tips for this? We've had some drive issues with him (perfectionist, gets frustrated if he can't find it RIGHT NAO), so I don't really want to "correct" him for marking while he is searching, but I also don't want him being a jerk about it either.. :shrugs: But, in the house and in stores, I will definitely make a point to be consistent and not let it happen.
This makes me think he's doing it because he's nervous or stressed.

Back up a bit in your training, up your rewards, make things a bit easier for a while, see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
This makes me think he's doing it because he's nervous or stressed.

Back up a bit in your training, up your rewards, make things a bit easier for a while, see if that makes a difference.
Will do! Thanks.