Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Canidae PureSky and PureLand

so i had a lady offering me some info on the victor salmon food i settled on a while back, and then mentioned she had TWO bags of the canidae PURESEA (fish) she could sell me for $35 ea because her dog died and she cant use them

well she brought them by my work today and not paying attention i paid for them, one blue bag one orange. i did see the orange one and saw it said bison and thought it was okay no worries, and assumed the blue was puresea. no biggie. then i get them home and the blue is puresky, the duck and chicken formula. my older girl cant have chicken or chicken fat, so i KNOW that one is out for her, but might be okay for the pup, i dont know yet. the land formula has... canola oil... and this worries me. its NOT a good oil

what do you think chazzers? should i try to trade these bags for the fish kibble? do you think they are safe?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Canidae is not a bad food on paper, but I haven't personally heard of dogs doing really well on it (just thru word of mouth, dog forums, etc). They did just make their own plant recently, but some of their foods are still made by Diamond (if that's a concern to you). I know their grain-frees are still made there -- last I heard. But don't really know much more than that.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
so i had a lady offering me some info on the victor salmon food i settled on a while back, and then mentioned she had TWO bags of the canidae PURESEA (fish) she could sell me for $35 ea because her dog died and she cant use them

well she brought them by my work today and not paying attention i paid for them, one blue bag one orange. i did see the orange one and saw it said bison and thought it was okay no worries, and assumed the blue was puresea. no biggie. then i get them home and the blue is puresky, the duck and chicken formula. my older girl cant have chicken or chicken fat, so i KNOW that one is out for her, but might be okay for the pup, i dont know yet. the land formula has... canola oil... and this worries me. its NOT a good oil

what do you think chazzers? should i try to trade these bags for the fish kibble? do you think they are safe?
Hello Frostfell,
Canidae PureSky and PureLand are safe but nothing special and are pretty-well the same.
They’re not very different from the dozens of grain-free pet foods that use too much starch in place of more expensive meat ingredients.
If you look at the ingredients you’ll see both are the same except for the first two ingredients, one contains bison & lamb meal and the other duck and turkey meal.

They both contain only two meat ingredients and three of the first five ingredients are starches... not good.
Also contains tomato pomace which is a waste product from human food manufacturing that would go to the landfill if not the pet food.
Salt is added as an ingredient and it’s not a good one.

If you want to feed kibble, spend a few dollars more and buy Orijen... up to eleven fish/meat ingredients, all human-grade, 80% meat.
I don't use Orijen (I feed only raw) but I recommend them to clients who want to feed kibble.
Roger Biduk
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

My two did really well on Canidae GF. I would go ahead and feed it if you feel comfortable. If it was a touch cheaper, I would feed it again for sure!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post

I have fed foods with canola in them for a long long time with almost no problems, the only small problem I had was a while back, the natures variety company had a batch of bags that weren't sealed properly & the oil went bad, it was only in the prairie & I think one variety of the instinct, but I am back to feeding that (back to basics got too high for us to afford ).

In fact, I actually add a bit of canola oil to Josefina's food every night because in summer she doesn't want to eat much & she always loses a bit of weight, I have found that feeding a little extra canola oil helps with that.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Elsie's on pureland and does really well. She does a lot better on foods that have more starch in them (compared to Zobby who needs very very little in the way of carbs, or he gets flaky and chunky). She likes it, has good muscle tone and energy, her coat looks great--all the stuff I want in a food. Elsie's had some trouble finding a kibble that agrees with her.

Her cousin Zoey's on pureland as well, and is also doing well on it.