Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
And Boxers as herders now? Really?
They're not in the herding group, they're still in the working group, but they are allowed to herd.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
They're not in the herding group, they're still in the working group, but they are allowed to herd.
Ohhhh man, did I ever get to hear a heated debate about THAT! A friend of mine has very nice Boxers, and wanted to get into herding. An aquaintance of ours (who has whippets and does lure coursing, but also has herding breeds and sheep) got really nasty about Boxers being allowed to herd. She ranted and raved about how she'd never let Boxers on her stock, because they'd "tear up her poor sheep" .... yadda yadda yadda.

Luckily we have a very talented herding trainer that is willing to work with off-breeds. He's been pestering me to bring Kaylee out and see what she thinks of it all.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
such sights to show you

I'm curious about why boxers in particular are being allowed for herding trials? I don't have anything against it, I'm just wondering if there's some particular reasoning for them?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I'm curious about why boxers in particular are being allowed for herding trials? I don't have anything against it, I'm just wondering if there's some particular reasoning for them?
My only logical thought is maybe they often show herding instinct? Gavroche has prey drive out the ass, but I don't think he'd actually herd. I've seen videos of boxers herding and heard that many of them are able to do it, but I haven't researched where this came from or anything like that.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
My only logical thought is maybe they often show herding instinct? Gavroche has prey drive out the ass, but I don't think he'd actually herd. I've seen videos of boxers herding and heard that many of them are able to do it, but I haven't researched where this came from or anything like that.
I may be wrong, but weren't Boxers (historically) occasionally used for herding? I'll have to do more research, but I don't see the AKC allowing a breed to herd unless there was some sort of historical evidence that it was one of the breed's purposes.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I may be wrong, but weren't Boxers (historically) occasionally used for herding? I'll have to do more research, but I don't see the AKC allowing a breed to herd unless there was some sort of historical evidence that it was one of the breed's purposes.
This is the only reason I could think of for them being allowed to herd.
For example, Airedales are able to compete in field trials, because they used to be used for that purpose. Not their main usage, but they were on occasion.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm All Ears

[QUOTE=Aleron;2250020]For sure. The way PyrSheps traditionally worked is also different from the AKC style herding too. And corgis. And Mudi. And....

Still AKC isn't going to not allow breeds in the herding group to compete in herding trials. That would be silly

I watched some videos recently of pyr sheps herding. Interesting stuff! Very different.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I was wondering if that was why, but I don't know enough about them.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ohhhh man, did I ever get to hear a heated debate about THAT! A friend of mine has very nice Boxers, and wanted to get into herding. An aquaintance of ours (who has whippets and does lure coursing, but also has herding breeds and sheep) got really nasty about Boxers being allowed to herd. She ranted and raved about how she'd never let Boxers on her stock, because they'd "tear up her poor sheep" .... yadda yadda yadda.

Luckily we have a very talented herding trainer that is willing to work with off-breeds. He's been pestering me to bring Kaylee out and see what she thinks of it all.
One of the reasons I'd like to see "other breeds" allowed to participate in these activities is so that their owners can get chances to try it out if they choose. I'd like to try herding with Tess. I think she would herd. (I tend to think that Pirate wouldn't, so I'm not too interested in trying it out with him) I don't really care if she can title at it, I'd just be interested in trying the sport, but the odds of finding anyone who will let me try my Stafford on their sheep seems really low. And of course, I'd want the sheep to be safe, so I wouldn't want to try it without an experienced person involved, so I'm not just going to go to my friend's house and say "hey, let's see if my dog will herd your sheep!"

But again, not super duper important to me, just something I'd like.