Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
The other thing I've had good luck with is instead of teaching to target something with their backfeet I've first taught them to go backwards up stairs via shaping it. That seems to first of all start that muscle memory of reaching back with their feet, is more of a confined space so they are limited to what they can do and helps get that idea of maybe there is something back there attached to their body.
I was going to mention backing up stairs too. It's actually really hilarious at first to watch them figure out that they have back legs.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
back up to find it with her head feet
I hate to break t to you, but if your dog has feet on her head, she's a bit deformed
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

I inititally attempted to teach Journey to target an object with her back feet, but it would have worked better if I'd had a hallway or something to teach her in. My livingroom is too big and open and she just ran around trying to find things to put her front feet on haha. I could have stuck it out and she would have gotten it, but I decided to move to stairs instead and she had it within seconds. Now she'll try backing onto pretty much anything with her back feet. She also started with perch/pivot work as well before she learned to target with her back feet.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

There was something on this at ClickerExpo: http://stalecheerios.com/blog/dog-tr...sic-platforms/

I taught Marsh to 2o2o a flat rate shipping box, and by tossing a treat at my feet so he came forward off the box. After a while he started backing up and seeking with his back foot instead of turning around and climbing forward and part way off.