Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Marking. It's getting old.

Rider marks the world. Everything. Not so much at home, but any new place we go, especially outside. Which I don't really care outside, but when we are doing nosework? Come on dude. YOU ARE WORKING QUIT PISSING ON EVERYTHING. And it's getting really old when we go to friend's houses to have to keep him on a leash the first hour.

So, tips? I can normally get him to pee before we go inside anywhere, but he will still occasionally mark, and no doubt he will if it is our first visit. And also, while working. How can I discourage it?

TIA. This is why I've always had females in the past. Ugh.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Owned by Belgians

I know how you feel.

When we are training or at shows/trials, I am very strict about no sniffing/no marking except in the potty area.

I give him a small leash pop and I get the, "but MOM!!", look from him.

All my dogs know the "potty" command. Actually, every night I ask them, "Did you go potty?". Sometimes Balto goes out to the yard to show me he knows what I said.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I had a hell of a time with this for a while with Logan. Even now he still tries to do it in pet stores and dog shows (where others have already marked). This past weekend, though, we were at a show for 4 days and he only marked once (WHILE HE WAS FREAKING LAYING DOWN! How can you pee while you're laying down?!).

Anyway, it took a lot of patience and consistency. He did mark in the house when he first came home, but that was fixed in a couple days with a squirt bottle. Elsewhere, it took not LETTING him mark and correcting HEAVILY when he did mark. At first I'd take him on walks in the same area, and always let him pee in the same place. He knew when we got to that place, it was time to pee, and he didn't have to pee elsewhere. Then stretching it out until we could go for a walk without peeing (I let him pee before we started, and again when we got to the car). At pet stores, I let him pee all he wants before we go in, and then pee again as soon as we come out. And watching VERY VERY CLOSELY while in the store. If he looks like he'll pee, get his attention and either get him moving quickly enough that he won't pee, or get him in a sit/down so he can't pee (well, usually can't pee). I did use a halti for this for a bit, but not very long.

Basically, give him designated times and places to mark, and forbid it everywhere else. You can't go to a pet store to shop and have it work. You have to go for the sole purpose of making sure he doesn't have an opportunity to mark. If you need to buy something, put him in the car and go back in for it. "Leave it" works well for Logan, but only after the marking got under control to begin with.

Barring that, a citronella or e-collar could work, depending on how stubborn your dog is. I never used the citronella collar for marking, just for barking, but I can see it working. I did carry a tiny squeeze bottle of water at times, though, and used it to squirt him if he marked. It didn't work as well outside as it did at home. You can also rub some Carmex on his nose to mask the smells of other dogs, and with the lessened need to mark, start reinforcing NOT MARKING.

It takes a LONG TIME. But it is possible to fix. Teaching potty on command helps, too. Gavroche will even fake-pee sometimes if he doesn't actually have to pee when I tell him to.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Out of curiosity, do all male dogs mark, and when does it start?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Out of curiosity, do all male dogs mark, and when does it start?
Not all male dogs mark, and if you can stop them from starting, it's a WHOLE lot easier than fixing it later. Apparently Logan's breeder's dogs never really marked...until a visiting male marked all over the place. That made her dogs decide to mark, and that included Logan.

Gavroche doesn't mark, and never has. He was also neutered at about a year old, but I can't say if that has anything to do with it, because I didn't have him before he was neutered.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE]Out of curiosity, do all male dogs mark, and when does it start?[/QUOTE

No, not all male dogs mark. Most mark outside, but not even all males do that. Tucker did start marking inside pet stores (no other indoor areas) when he was around 4 months. I would simply pull him away quickly when he lifted his leg (he was wearing a harness), and he only tried it maybe three times. We also neutered him around 7 months so hard to say if that stopped the marking. He also tried to mark my aunt and uncle's brand new couch the first time he saw it, and that was recently, no idea why he decided to try and mark that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Fred has never marked, just wondering if this will start... He still very immature, at 8.5 months.

Sorry, didnt mean to derail!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

I wish I had some advice for you! I've never had a bad marker to really give any advice. But I hope it gets better. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Fred has never marked, just wondering if this will start... He still very immature, at 8.5 months.

Sorry, didnt mean to derail!
It might. Ripley started marking at about 10 or 11 months. That's also when he started obsessively sniffing/tasting urine (that was the worst) and attempting to mount some other dogs if he was over excited. He only marked outside though or in heavily dog populated areas (breeder's house, parks) and never when he was on a leash thankfully. But life was nicer before he discovered his hormones haha. He was so much easier prior to around that age (his brain also disappeared for a while around 10mths old). But no, not all males will do all of that and some are better and worse than others as well. And with maturity and management and training, Ripley got his brain back and wasn't bad at all. I still neutered him though on his breeder's advice because he was painfully skinny and wouldn't eat, and after that any desire related to his hormones greatly decreased. But I think even if I'd left him intact he would have been fine. Just would have taken him longer to get it through his head that he didn't need to think about such stuff all the time.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Good post. Hudson just started lifting his left to mark on things, but walks is pretty good about stopping when we continue to walk on.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
That's also when he started obsessively sniffing/tasting urine (that was the worst)
Both my dogs do that for ALL SORTS of smells. Sniff sniff, lick lick, chatter chatter, drool