Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Big Dog

My old roommate had a Rat Terrier. She was an awesome dog. 20lbs at her proper weight, not hyper, but tons of endurance. She could walk forever. Good with most other dogs and ok with aggressive cats. Great with people and children. Quiet for the most part. Low grooming. Very sturdy too. But she did have a high prey drive for small critters. She loved to hunt and took some training to get her reliable off leash. But overall she is a great little dog.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
What is your reasoning for wanting to avoid shelters or an adult dog??
Not speaking for Airn, but I can understand why she would want to avoid a shelter or adult dog, especially after working in rescue for several years. It's just a complete crap-shoot what you are getting, adult or not. Unknown temperament, unknown health issues, unknown genetic issues that may pop up later, unknown training requirements or tendencies. Even adults maybe die a year later from a bad heart, unknown genetic issue, sudden health problem. Pups may grow up and develop seizures or temperament concerns. Adult dogs end up going batshit and attack their handlers/owners. All of which has happened to me, so it isn't like it's terribly uncommon. Getting a shelter dog is definitely not an avenue I suggest for new or lesser experienced dog owners.

And while crapshoots still happen in well-bred dogs, it's not nearly as often. And at least then, you have the breeder's experience with those lines on board to help. Their familiarity with the lines and their knowledge in the breeding. What training areas you might need to stress over others, even.

All the same reason(s) I did not want NextDog to be a rescue, I wanted a breeder.

And that's pretty much the only advice I have to give, Airn. Focus more on the breeders, less on the breed (to a certain point). I never considered my "breed of choice" until I considered the breeder. Every breeder will produce a different type of dog, even within breed standards. You might find more what you want if you expand your search to the breeders and the dogs they produce, rather than just the breed. You might pay more than you would want to, but as long as you research VERY well, at least you know what you are getting.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Not speaking for Airn, but I can understand why she would want to avoid a shelter or adult dog, especially after working in rescue for several years. It's just a complete crap-shoot what you are getting, adult or not. Unknown temperament, unknown health issues, unknown genetic issues that may pop up later, unknown training requirements or tendencies. Even adults maybe die a year later from a bad heart, unknown genetic issue, sudden health problem. Pups may grow up and develop seizures or temperament concerns. Adult dogs end up going batshit and attack their handlers/owners. All of which has happened to me, so it isn't like it's terribly uncommon. Getting a shelter dog is definitely not an avenue I suggest for new or lesser experienced dog owners.

And while crapshoots still happen in well-bred dogs, it's not nearly as often. And at least then, you have the breeder's experience with those lines on board to help. Their familiarity with the lines and their knowledge in the breeding. What training areas you might need to stress over others, even.

All the same reason(s) I did not want NextDog to be a rescue, I wanted a breeder.

And that's pretty much the only advice I have to give, Airn. Focus more on the breeders, less on the breed (to a certain point). I never considered my "breed of choice" until I considered the breeder. Every breeder will produce a different type of dog, even within breed standards. You might find more what you want if you expand your search to the breeders and the dogs they produce, rather than just the breed. You might pay more than you would want to, but as long as you research VERY well, at least you know what you are getting.

Lyz pretty much hit it. I want a puppy because I've never had a puppy and after this dog, I will not be getting another dog until Gwen passes. We might foster but that's all.

I don't think there is anything WRONG with getting a shelter dog, bug I personally do not want one right now. I got Gwen from a shelter. She's was 8 months old and messed up. She had no training and she was very fear aggressive with other dogs. She also had separation anxiety. She still has these issues but we have improved greatly.

I will get another shelter dog, but right now I want a well bred puppy. I am willing to pay more than I initially planned because I want a purebred.

I'm going to revise my requirements and talk to some breeders. It seems that breeders matter a LOT more than I thought. Not just health testing but the temperaments of certain lines. I'm sure I won't get THE BEST dog out there, but I will keep in mind all that I've learned.

I've also decided to wait until we move to decide on a time for the puppy. I'm not sure how busy we'll be since my boyfriend just hit a new job. (Today!)

I really do appreciate all of the help I've received. But I DO want a breeder puppy and all the cute mutts in the world probably won't change that

Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone and lunch break!

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Owned by Belgians

My friend has a Border Terrier. Nice dog. I saw they were voted best family pet for something-or-other. There seem to be a lot in my area. There are at least 2 breeders in my obedience club. Stripping the coat is easy, but my friend just has a groomer clip him. (cringe!)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
A well bred RT, standard or giant, would match as well but finding them can be harder. That said, RTs are a low cost breed, ime.

Google Deckers giant Rat Terriers and see if they perk your interest. You might see more dog aggression in them than border terriers and possibly more barking but it's doubtful. They'll be a breed I will likely own again someday.

If you like Rat Terriers I know of a breeder in east Texas. I'd have to get her contact info from a friend, but her dogs are pretty neat. She does agility and UKC conformation (that I know of for sure), she porbably does some other dog sports, but like I said I've only met her a few times. I know of three people who own dogs from her though. Very neat little guys.