Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
(I actually still do sometimes, but it doesn't work at high speeds anymore)[/SIZE]
Me too, so long as I'm not the one driving I had mostly thoroughbreds of various colors, along with a couple Arabians.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

I had both two siblings and pets off and on. Also had an imaginary dog named Tuna he was a scruffy greyish brown dog, terrierish. Then later on I made up an imaginary cat named Rusty so Tuna would't be lonely. Tuna was "real" though lol whereas even though I "saw" Rusty, I knew he was imaginary.

I did pretend there were unicorns in yards, horses running by my car, and all sortsof thingslike that. They were a great game of ptend and I got really into it, but nithing like I had with Tuna. Sounds crazy, but I partially believe Tuna was some type of spirit or energy. Actually kind of believe ig about a lot of true imaginary friends.

Eta holy typos! This tablet is giving me fits. Will edit in the morning on my laptop as this is ridiculous :/
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID WITH MY IMAGINARY HORSES!
Me, too! I would also pretend to be riding a horse home from school (much better than plain ol' walking), jumping fences and ditches with style. Lol!

No imaginary friends - had a twin sister instead (and drove - and still drive - Mom crazy with our non-verbal conversations).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Jerk.

I have a lot of imaginary friends, they are all my internet friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
& the Muttly Crew

The OP reminds me of this "article" by The Onion lol

Quote:
More U.S. Children Being Diagnosed With Youthful Tendency Disorder

REDLANDS, CA–Nicholas and Beverly Serna's daughter Caitlin was only four years old, but they already knew there was a problem.

Day after day, upon arriving home from preschool, Caitlin would retreat into a bizarre fantasy world. Sometimes, she would pretend to be people and things she was not. Other times, without warning, she would burst into nonsensical song. Some days she would run directionless through the backyard of the Sernas' comfortable Redlands home, laughing and shrieking as she chased imaginary objects.

When months of sessions with a local psychologist failed to yield an answer, Nicholas and Beverly took Caitlin to a prominent Los Angeles pediatric neurologist for more exhaustive testing. Finally, on Sept. 11, the Sernas received the heartbreaking news: Caitlin was among a growing legion of U.S. children suffering from Youthful Tendency Disorder.

"As horrible as the diagnosis was, it was a relief to finally know," said Beverly. "At least we knew we weren't bad parents. We simply had a child who was born with a medical disorder."
Onion Med Watch

Youthful Tendency Disorder (YTD), a poorly understood neurological condition that afflicts an estimated 20 million U.S. children, is characterized by a variety of senseless, unproductive physical and mental exercises, often lasting hours at a time. In the thrall of YTD, sufferers run, jump, climb, twirl, shout, dance, do cartwheels, and enter unreal, unexplainable states of "make-believe."

"The Youthful child has a kind of love/hate relationship with reality," said Johns Hopkins University YTD expert Dr. Avi Gwertzman. "Unfit to join the adult world, they struggle to learn its mores and rules in a process that can take the entirety of their childhood. In the meantime, their emotional and perceptive problems cause them to act out in unpredictable and extremely juvenile ways. It's as though they can only take so much reality; they have to 'check out,' to go Youthful for a while."

On a beautiful autumn day in Asheville, NC, six-year-old Cameron Boudreaux is swinging on a park swingset–a monotonous, back-and-forth action that apparently gives him solace. Spotting his mother on a nearby bench, Cameron rushes eagerly to her and asks, "Guess what?" His mother responds with a friendly, "What?"

With unbridled glee, Cameron shouts, "Chicken butt!"--cryptic words understood only by him--before laughing and dashing off again, leaving his mother distraught over yet another baffling non-conversation.

"I must admit, it's been a struggle," Mary Boudreaux said. "What can I say to him when he says something like that, something that makes no sense? Or when he runs through the house yelling while I'm trying to balance the checkbook? You can't just say, 'Please, Cameron, don't have a disorder for just a few minutes so I can concentrate.'"

Cameron's psychological problems run even deeper. He can name every one of his beloved, imaginary Pokemon characters, but the plain realities of the actual world he inhabits are an enigma: Ask Cameron the name of the real-life city councilman sponsoring the referendum to renovate the park just across the street from his house–a park he plays in daily–and he draws a blank.

According to Dr. Dinesh Agarwal, director of child psychiatry at NYU Medical Center, such disconnectedness from reality is a coping mechanism for YTD sufferers. "The Youthful child is born into a world he or she does not fully understand," Agarwal said. "Their brain pathways are still forming, and they need to repetitively relearn how to assimilate into society. These disassociative play-fantasies apparently help them accomplish that."

But such fantasies come at a price, producing in Youthful children a disinterest in the everyday responsibilities of life bordering on contempt.

"Jesse knows when it's his turn to take out the trash. We've gone over the house rules a dozen times," said Richard Torres, a Davenport, IA, father of three whose nine-year-old son Jesse was recently diagnosed with YTD. "And still he neglects the job time and again."

Slowly, methodically, through an elaborate system of rewards and punishments, Jesse has shown improvement. But the road ahead is long.

"We get a lot of platitudes from the so-called experts," Torres said. "We hear a lot of, 'Oh, he'll grow out of it, just give it time.' That's easy for them to say–their kid's not running around the neighborhood claiming to be Superman."

Help for families struggling with YTD may soon be on the way. At last month's annual AMA Convention, Smithkline-Beecham unveiled Juvenol, a promising YTD drug which, pending FDA approval, could reach the U.S. market as early as next spring. Already available in France and Sweden, Juvenol, the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported, resulted in a 60 percent decrease in running and jumping among users.

But until such help arrives, the parents of YTD sufferers can do little more than try to get through each day.

"I love my child with all my heart," said Alexandra Torres, Jesse's mother. "But when he's in the throes of one of his skipping fits, it's hard not to feel a little envious of parents with normal, healthy children."

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I had three imaginary friends. A Hawk, a Raccoon, and then Yoshi. Lol The Hawk was the one that was around most often, though.
I never really spoke to them allowed or went to quite the same extent you did, Fran, buy they were definitely there!

And I, too, would jump them over obstacles on long drives. LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Behavior Nerd

The only one I remember was a dragon - dog-sized, green, with awesome wings, named Forrest. We didn't really talk, but he came with me to school and would follow along in my daily activities.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Got Floof?

I had tons of imaginary friends growing up.

I used to play RISK and Monopoly against them. I'd have up to 6 people and I'd play every turn against their own personalities.

I never had "one" imaginary friend. It was a different one every day, or even every hour some days. A cowboy, an indian, astronaut, characters from disney stuff, or often just plain made up people who are sometimes super cool, and other times super lame.

I still do have this tendency. Although I don't play or talk with them out loud anymore (except when no one is looking), I do have an extremely overactive imagination and can easily spend hours with imaginary people in a story in my head. I just don't act it out anymore.

Well, there was that one time I stabbed my Assistant with an imaginary sword because I did not know she was behind me. Fortunately, I quickly explained to her I just picked up fencing and was practicing. I think she may have fell for it.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Always in my heart, my Ollie
Always by my side, Priscilla vom Grunenfeld

Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I didn't but I knew people that did and I really wanted one too so I tried to make one and it just never worked out for me LOL. I was jealous that others had imaginary friends and I didn't lol.

Hannah doesn't really have an imaginary friend but all her stuffed animals are alive to her. she takes them everywhere, talks to them constantly (and they talk back), they all have names and personalities. Yesterday, Lady (from lady and the tramp) was playing on the slide but then she got sick and Hannah said she already threw up one time so she let her throw up in a bag LOL.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Nope, wasn't creative enough. LOL

Need an imagination for imaginary friends

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13