Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Sport Model Pug

Feeling much better today. Stretched and took a nice hot shower after workout and did some yoga after shower. My muscles feel fatigued but not painful to the extent I can't move naturally, which is how I like it. ESD (cardio) starts tomorrow!

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Little dog, big voice

I didn't read through all the replies, but cooling down is really the only thing you can do. My physics teacher, who does track and field, said that muscle soreness is caused by the lactic acid build up in your legs/arms/etc. So after running, or even power walking, make sure to keep moving for a little while to cool down and get rid of the lactic acid. I'm assuming the same goes for arms too, but I had no idea about the lactic acid before he explained it to us.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Got Floof?

I do some yoga stretching on the really bad days. I used to do yoga regularly for nearly a year, and I still find it pretty handy now.

Some iboprofen helps a lot, as well. I also like to lay down flat on my back on the concrete outside. It's cold and feels nice.

A hot shower always helps, I make sure to do the stretching after the hot shower.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Feeling much better today. Stretched and took a nice hot shower after workout and did some yoga after shower. My muscles feel fatigued but not painful to the extent I can't move naturally, which is how I like it. ESD (cardio) starts tomorrow!
Good luck! I am horrid at cardio lol

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Place your feet about a foot apart, keep your whole foot flat and squat down. Stay in that position and lean torward and backward and side to side, slowly. Don't bounce or rock really fast. You'll feel a good stretch to the muscle in front of your shin as well as pretty much your whole lower leg.

I have to use a stationary object to support me when I do this. I read somewhere that children and lots of tribal folks use this squatting stance quite frequently, but if you don't practice it often the muscles stiffen and its hard to do. Basically, most adults have a hard time doing it at first.

Also, one other thing I did when I had shin splints was to take a 25lb plate at the gym, sit down on a bench, then place the weight on my toe and stabilize it with my hand, then raise my toe up off the floor repeatedly about 10 times. 3 sets on each foot will strengthen your shin muscle (for lack of a better word) Obviously, if that's too hard use a smaller plate and work your way up. Wear shoes while doing it
It's really good to get in the practice of doing anyway. People can definitely habituate their bodies to it regardless of lineage. Several of my Anglo friends saw me doing it while weeding the garden and thought it looked really handy. It took them a few months of stretching and strengthening muscles, but now they do it as easy as anything. Saves your knees for sure!

Also handy to be able to "kneel" and keep your clothes dry when the ground is wet.

For after exercise burn, I always love massage. Either pro, or trade with a buddy. My sister and I like going for runs together and will swap working on each other's backs the next day. Those percussion massager things can work pretty well too.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I like being sore ... It means I'm making progress & building muscle (so I have been taught) there is an old proverb (I think it's one the martial arts teachers like to use) that says "pain is just weakness leaving the body" I believe that.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I like being sore ... It means I'm making progress & building muscle (so I have been taught) there is an old proverb (I think it's one the martial arts teachers like to use) that says "pain is just weakness leaving the body" I believe that.
That proverb is commonly found on Marine Corps t-shirts. It's on my favorite running shirt along with the EGA.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I'm okay with some pain. Like there's sore and then there's excruciating muscle screaming where I can't make it up the stairs in my house. The latter is not good. I expect soreness and fatigue but outright not being able to move means I'm doing something wrong.

I recovered well after Monday and Tuesday sessions, today is our flexibility session.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Got Floof?

I have a weightlifting routine called AllPro Beginners Lifting, and I've been in a constant state of soreness since I begun it. It's basically centered around compound lifting exercises like the deadlift and squats. I have pain in muscles I never new existed.

So I've been doing a lot of stretching, lots of pain meds, etc. Even though I only actually lift 3 days a week. It is super cliche, but the saying "no pain, no gain" is true. So I'm just dealing with it and keep on trying.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Maybe that's why I was never sore? Because here at our place from the house gate to the front property gate is half a mile ... So when I be Done running I have to walk back, so maybe that "cool down" is why I never got sore.